CHECK YOUR SPARE

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
While there is another post that says to not forget to check your PSI, I wanted to put a special reminder to check your spare. Should be a no brainer, right? Ive never checked it on my donut on my 04 Saab. That's right, 7 years and LOTS of checking of the regular service tires.

Well, the spare was below 20. Sidewall states 60 is required. It is a donut. Guess what would have happened if I lost a tire and put the spare into service with less than 20 psi?

So check it and air it up!!!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Well, the spare was below 20. Sidewall states 60 is required. It is a donut. Guess what would have happened if I lost a tire and put the spare into service with less than 20 psi?

Very useful tip. I've seen more than a few that were well under 20 psi sitting in the trunk. People complain how some new cars have no spare tires. Well, a donut with no air pressure is as useful as no spare.

LOL, When I checked the spare in my doughter's 03 Corolla last year, it bursted with a huge hole in it. Age, 60 PSI, and sunny parking lots were not healthy for the small doughnut.

My Pathfinder's full size spare was at 9 PSI when I checked it around 6 months ago; filled up to 28 PSI according to sidewall. I'm glad I checked, since I had to use the spare a few months ago due to a nail in my tire. I think my mother's Altima was also relatively low, but that thing wants 60 PSI. I need to check both soon.

I usually check the spare and other items under the hood when I do oil change. The spare is in the trunk under the carpet such that almost nobody check the pressure, out of sight out of mind !

The spare of my LS400 is 17+ years old, used once or twice last use was more than 10 years ago. I'm not sure if it's usable even for short city drive.

The spare of my E430 is 11+ years old and never used. May be okay for short city drive.

Last edited:
Yup. I see a lot of cars with little to no air pressure in the spare. I always put sidewall max in them whether they are a compact or full size. Rationale I use for putting sidewall max in a full size that might require 30psi when it is on the car is that it is much easier to air it down than up. Since most people do not check them the extra pressure adds some time before it is dangerously underinflated.

+1, sticky-thread worthy! I haven't checked the spare in the old Civic since purchasing almost 2 years ago.
27.gif
blush.gif

Should be a no brainer, right?

Indeed it is. Mine gets checked every time I change the oil-about every 6 months or so.

I used to work in a ministry that serviced vehicles for the widows and single moms in our church. We always checked the spare. I often found donut spares with only 20 or 30 pounds or less. The only ones properly aired were the ones we regularly serviced. That said, I don't remember the last time I checked ours. I hate donut spares. I carry a little compressor and a plug kit in each car to reduce the chance of having to use it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Should be a no brainer, right?

Indeed it is. Mine gets checked every time I change the oil-about every 6 months or so.

Of course it is for you... You are perfect in every way.
smirk.gif
27.gif
28.gif
33.gif

Remember, most tire gauges only go up to 50psi. Don't overinflate that spare tire. Mine takes around 60psi also.

I pack a tire gauge and a mini 12v compressor in every car I have. They are 19 bucks and worth the money.

I love these threads because usually they start with "I'm an awesome BITOGER and my oil is within a millimeter of the top of the dipstick and my ashtray gets armor-alled weekly but OMGBBQ my spare was low and it COULD HAPPEN TO YOU TOO.
lol.gif

FWIW my new-to-me twenty year old volvo had 30 PSI in the donut spare. I topped it off, but really, a donut is so awful anyway I'd drive on it flat just to not wreck my good rim in the three miles it takes to find a tire store.

32.gif
My mom's VW bug ran its windshield squirter off the spare! That must have stretched the goodwill of full service stations back in the day... give me 7 gallons of 31 cent gas and lots of free air please.
wink.gif

I finally checked my donut in my now almost 16 year old Contour right before my vaction in June. It was only about 20 lbs instead of the 60 it's suppose to be. Used my home air compressor to bring it upto 60. I always carry a quality 12V compressor & tire guage on my vactions. It saved me a few years ago while coming back from FL. Stopped at a rest area. I always do a walk around and check under the hood at rest areas to make sure everthing is ok. Noticed the passenger rear tire was looking low. Checked and it was only around 15 instead of 35, yikes! Inflated it and found a Goodyear shop with our AAA GPS. They patched it quickly and we were on our way after only about 1 1/2 hour delay. Always be prepared, especially when taking long trips.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
A good reminder! I always carry a "good" 12V compact compressor in the trunk, just in case.

I had to use the full size spare on my truck in the past and it was nearly empty. Luckily there was a gas station across the street so I was able to fill it.

I now always carry a portable compressor with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back