Check Out These Ugly Plugs

So I've put the Talon on the road and have been driving it a couple days a week to work and in town trips. Have noticed a weird misfire. So, I decided to pull a plug and see what we got. This by far is the worst plug I've personally pulled...

Cylinder #4

tleywDd.jpg

The rest, lined up 1-4.

MkwtKaJ.jpg

They were Autolite platinums. There's no telling how many miles and years they were in there. I am fully aware this car is an oil burner, and the deposits definitely confirmed that. Just hadn't seen one in person so worn. NGK Copper's went back in.

The more I drive the car it appears it smokes less. It had been sitting and infrequently used for some time. Happens after a high vacuum load down the mountain. Valve stem seals at this point are probably bad, but I do not feel like pulling the cams to replace them. Getting to the timing belt in this car is a nightmare.

are you sure the T belt is a nightmare? Maybe pulling the splash shield inner wheel liner can help with access ?
recalling an old Gallant with the 4G63 non-turbo engine. It did have a counter balancer that required a bolt or socket extension be
inserted into the crankcase via an access hole to phase properly but other than that it's a pretty stout & famous Mitsubishi engine.

Oh man I miss those dsm . I use to change plug every oil change since it’s so cheap and easy . The copper ngk plug is like $2 each back then . Mine was 1995 eagle talon tsi AWD turbo 5 speed .

Several years back, when we had a '05 T&C van with the 3.8, I had to pull the wiper module, so decided to change plugs, too. They had about 70-80k miles, and were Autolite Double Platinums, which I had installed several years prior. When I got them out, half of them were missing the little platinum disc from the ground electrode.

On a related note, before I started the job, I was going to buy a new set of the same for the replacement. When I pulled one out of the box at NAPA, the threads were awful...they looked so rough, I couldn't believe it (all 4 in that box looked that way). I ended up buying Champion Double Plats, which looked how I expected them to. At that point, I decided I was done with Autolites.

OK. Checking or changing the plugs on a new purchase would be at the top of the to do list.

Honestly there was alot I was trying to do to get it back daily roadworthy it slipped my mind. The car initially ran pretty good, so I honestly didn't think about it. Previous owners husband thought they were recently changed along with the timing belt. But looks like the person doing the work conveniently forgot about them along with the brand new water pump that was sitting in the back seat...

are you sure the T belt is a nightmare? Maybe pulling the splash shield inner wheel liner can help with access ?
recalling an old Gallant with the 4G63 non-turbo engine. It did have a counter balancer that required a bolt or socket extension be
inserted into the crankcase via an access hole to phase properly but other than that it's a pretty stout & famous Mitsubishi engine.

The second gen non-turbo's have the Chrysler 420A 2.0L. I don't even have and inch between the belt and body. I could access it better with the wheelwell plastic out. I'll probably decide to do the valve seals as I am not fond of having a Duralast brand timing belt on there and want to swap it out for a better brand. Also want to install the new water-pump I have. The old one doesn't leak, but if I have the belt off might as well. Yes, this sounds crazy for something I may flip, but it's for my piece of mind...

Those plugs may look bad but they are NOT that bad. I've seen much worse. The standard Autolite Platinums don't have a fine wire design so they will round out similar to a copper plug. Looks like they did the job for quite a few miles. I can say basic platinums like those are good for up to an average of 60-80k miles and can push 100k in the right vehicle in good condition. My question is why did you replace them with basic coppers?

Those plugs may look bad but they are NOT that bad. I've seen much worse. The standard Autolite Platinums don't have a fine wire design so they will round out similar to a copper plug. Looks like they did the job for quite a few miles. I can say basic platinums like those are good for up to an average of 60-80k miles and can push 100k in the right vehicle in good condition. My question is why did you replace them with basic coppers?

I went by the owners manual (I know, how in the world did the owners manual stay with the car!), they listed a couple different ones and they were all copper plugs. Went with the NGK variant.

Honestly there was alot I was trying to do to get it back daily roadworthy it slipped my mind. The car initially ran pretty good, so I honestly didn't think about it. Previous owners husband thought they were recently changed along with the timing belt. But looks like the person doing the work conveniently forgot about them along with the brand new water pump that was sitting in the back seat...

The second gen non-turbo's have the Chrysler 420A 2.0L. I don't even have and inch between the belt and body. I could access it better with the wheelwell plastic out. I'll probably decide to do the valve seals as I am not fond of having a Duralast brand timing belt on there and want to swap it out for a better brand. Also want to install the new water-pump I have. The old one doesn't leak, but if I have the belt off might as well. Yes, this sounds crazy for something I may flip, but it's for my piece of mind...
I had to do one of those timing belts on an alignment rack once, that was fun. I ended up with a defective water pump after the job too, which made it extra special. It looked like you already had the timing belt cover off in one of the images you posted. Plugs don't look that bad from the picture but it was a good idea to put NGKs in there.

Last edited:
I went by the owners manual (I know, how in the world did the owners manual stay with the car!), they listed a couple different ones and they were all copper plugs. Went with the NGK variant.
That makes 100% good sense.

Back