Check out my magnets on my oil filter

Ready for people to check out my magnet setup. Let me know what you think about the practicality of this helping anything...
I would not put them on the dome end. Just in case they caught stuff, and if the bypass valve opened it might sweep some debris along that wasn't held tight enough by the magnets. All those on the side should be plenty.

I don't see any advantage to your magnets. The debris would have been trapped by the filter anyway.

3jgukd.jpg

I don't see any advantage to your magnets. The debris would have been trapped by the filter anyway.

Particles as small as 2 micron cause engine wear. A standard efficiency filter might only be around 1% efficient at 10 micron, so these particles will circulate through the filter an average of 100 times before being filtered. A magnet would probably dramatically increase the effective filtering efficiency for these small ferrous particles.

Also, on many vehicles, the oil filter will be bypassing some of the oil flow quite often. This tends to happen when the engine is cold, which is also when most engine wear occurs. The oil filter on my Subaru bypasses some oil at cold idle rpms with the oil at 30 degrees C. In really cold weather, it will be bypassing over 80% of the oil flow.

Anything the magnet catches, saves room in the filter.

Filter can't catch anything smaller than its rating. Why do some think that filters are perfection?

Filter also has a gram loading crud rating which on some engines is pegged too early. So, the magnet frees up filter media space with whatever magnetic particles it catches, which are usually more damaging than softer non-magnetic particles.

For a drainplug, or cut open filter, one can monitor the magnet's ability freely. With visual comparison, over time, some might see that certain brands/grades/intervals can drastically increase/decrease the magnet contents over others. You don't need a UOA to adapt or change your brands/grades/intervals when you can see the difference. Also, magnet contents might contradict the UOA's false sense of security. This is not much different than varnish/sludge buildup that contradicts good UOA data too.

Magnets come standard in many differentials, transmissions(both manual and automatic), and transfer cases. I find it funny that engines and hydraulic power steering systems are often 'forgotten'.

Is the magnet collection that the threadstarter pictured excessive?..sure... but magnets are cheap or free if recycled. So, there is no reason not to if you have 1 magnet or 20. Put them to use.

My recommendation is to upgrade drain/fill plugs to magnetic ones whenever possible. Those plugs can be expensive so slapping a few magnets on a cannister filter is an easy option. Votex, DimplePlug, GoldPlug, PSR... are some good magnetic plugs.

Some of us expect or utilize our vehicles longer than others, or more abusively than others. You do whatever you want to make it last longer. The magnet is just another one of those things.

Besides drain plugs, stick on filter magnets, don't forget about the Magnefine too for your ATF/PSF.

Filter can't catch anything smaller than its rating. Why do some think that filters are perfection?
Not sure what you mean - ?. If a filter is rated at 95% @ 20u it's still catching particles smaller than 20u but obviously not as efficiently (ie, 80% @ 15u, or 50% @ 10u for example) . The efficiency vs particle size curve of a filter shows that. Typically the higher a filter's efficiency is rated at 20u, the more it should catch below 20u compared to a filter not rated so efficient at 20u.

Not effective or efficient is enough of a meaning if most of those particles simple pass thru the filter numerous times before getting hung up somewhere. Your full flow is pathetic compared to toilet paper. And, in context with the thread, along with anti magnet or donothingers, I was making a point.

So many blindly use worthless appendage full flow filters and don't see the point with an easy magnet on their filter or drainplug, especially when concerning the overly used micron rating.... the magnet does NOT have a micron limitation against those abrasive magnetic particles when compared to a full flow filter.

A higher efficiency filter is still better than a low efficiency filter because they are still more efficient even below 20u as mentioned above. As far as magnets, they capture more very small magnetic particles than any full-flow can without magnets, but do nothing for non-magnetic particles ... that's where the higher efficiency filter does a better job of overall filtering. Comparing bypass filtering to non-bypass filtering is obviously a different realm of filtering. A high efficiency full-flow with good magnets is as good as it gets before going with a bypass setup.

Are these magnets as powerful as the Filtermag?
I don't know, but the magnets extracted from old CD/DVD drives are impressively powerful. Rare earth, I think. Not sure. You can also get small magnets for a few dollars each in bulk.

I put approximately 4 spaced out around the exterior of my oil filter. Figure to catch any ferrous particles that slip thru the filtering media since those can damage the engine. Again, it's effortless, inexpensive, and can't hurt.

Filtermag is a bunch of neo magnets. As such, I would say ANY equivalent neo magnet collection would be just as powerful if not more powerful.

Since the filtermag is removable, its very strong but not really too strong and really nothing but a 'pretty profitable' product from that company. You can DIY with most quality online neo magnet stores.

So, if you have recycled neodymium magnets from hard drives, you just saved yourself a ton of money and are hurting a company's bottom line.

Otherwise, plenty of good $2-$5 neo magnet choices at various online stores. Get the nickel coated/plated ones. And, like I said early, paint all the sides that aren't touching the filter and protect it from the elements, like debris hits and salty winter roads.

I'd just paint the whole magnet with some high temp paint before installing if corrosion protection is required. Might not be a big deal not to protect them if the filter isn't getting exposed to road salt. A few thousands inch of paint thickness isn't going to make any real difference in the magnetic field on the inside surface of the filter can.

If there's no delta-p measurement across the filter in use on the car, then no way to verify, only speculate.

Couple members here have rigged up a delta-p pressure gauge setup on their vehicle and did different on road operation senarios, and was shown that the oil filter (fairly new unloaded filter) really didn't bypass much unless the engine was revved pretty high with pretty cold oil. Bottom line, go mellow on revs until the oil warms up.

So one should just totally surrender, throw away a car, instead of taking steps to protect the engine and mitigate? Interesting philosophy.
If an individual has that much ferrous metal material circulating in their oiling system, there are likely serious problems developing, or already developed. Furthermore, there is a point of diminishing returns with something like that.

This is no good! It could potentially create a magnetic flux within the can. And if by some mishap the can becomes ungrounded it could hold a magnetic charge. Which creates capacitance. Meaning you have just unintentionally created a flux capacitor. Then you get up to 88mph, next thing you know - boom! You’re back in 1985. Tread lightly, sir.

Back