Cheapest full synthetic for a Gen 3 5.0 Mustang

So I’ve been balls deep in oil over the past month or so. It started with me wondering why Ford recommends a synthetic blend over full synthetic, which I’ve gotten answers too. My question is, would there be any harm in running the cheapest full synthetic you can find at Walmart in a mustang? Sees the occasional redline RPM driving and spirited driving like any mustang. But does it really matter what brand if you’re changing the oil every 3-5k miles? Could you get away with running super tech for $20/5qt? I’m huge into maintenance and do it all myself. I’d run the Motorcraft synthetic blend but it cost as much ($22/5q) as a full synthetic. Might as well take advantage of a full synthetic at that point anyhow. Some are even cheaper such as super tech, Quaker state, valvoline, etc. all full synthetic.

So I’ve been balls deep in oil over the past month or so. It started with me wondering why Ford recommends a synthetic blend over full synthetic, which I’ve gotten answers too.
So where did you get the answer about Ford recommending a synthetic blend over a full synthetic, and what was the answer? Being that you were balls deep and all.

Only trying to keep this little thread somewhat technical.

Last edited:
1650743678774.jpg

Pennzoil Full Synthetic is looking like an attractive offering now.

So where did you get the answer about Ford recommending a synthetic blend over a full synthetic, and what was the answer? Being that you were balls deep and all.
I didn’t get a direct answer from Ford on Facebook lol. But the consensus was that a synthetic blend is more than enough for most daily driven cars, it’s more economical for Ford. Also telling customers they have to run a full synthetics would scare off some customers because of the price etc. etc… Most “full synthetics” aren’t actual true synthetics, they’re group 3s and there’s only a handful of group 4s that are true synthetics… They’re all blends essentially….

Mostly all I’ve come across from doing research. Don’t grill me I don’t claim to be a professional at all haha

I didn’t get a direct answer from Ford on Facebook lol. But the consensus was that a synthetic blend is more than enough for most daily driven cars, it’s more economical for Ford. Also telling customers they have to run a full synthetics would scare off some customers because of the price etc. etc… Most “full synthetics” aren’t actual true synthetics, they’re group 3s and there’s only a handful of group 4s that are true synthetics… They’re all blends essentially….

Mostly all I’ve come across from doing research. Don’t grill me I don’t claim to be a professional at all haha
This is out of the 2015 Mustang OM for the 5.0L V8. Synthetic blend is recommended in the USA, but full synthetic is recommended in Canada and Mexico. Full synthetic is optional in the USA. There is no recommendation or option for a synthetic blend to be used in Canada or Mexico.

My guess is that it probably has to do with the various climates between Canada, USA and Mexico is why Ford doesn't recommend the full synthetic for the USA (but makes it optional). 🤷‍♂️ Doubt it has anything to do with "scaring off" customers ... if so, I guess the drivers in Canada and Mexico aren't scared off as easily, lol.

1650745158277.png

Oh yeah the whole “is a Group III based synthetic really a synthetic” thingy. Talked about a lot on here but of course but I understand you wouldn’t know that because you’re new. Gotcha.

No. I know ford bumped to a 30 grade in the new 3rd gen 5.0 to make up for whatever issues they won't say even if it costs them a bit in epa fines since it wasn't worth the issues. They care about the bottom line at the end of the day. So they do things for a reason. Whichever one ends up being cheaper for them is what they'll do.

A 30 grade syn blend with the spec is fine and a full syn even without that ford spec will be fine. If you want to bump to a 40 grade i guess so but 30 gives decent protection. A 10w-30 is supposed to be more stable but you never know for sure. Only a pds with a lot of info can help answer like Valvoline's which also include the hths.

If you really care then maybe don't stomp it until the engine has warmed up enough in at least 30 minutes or so. The zddp is known to have an "activation temp" which is supposed to be 300f and under some load in the contact surfaces. But no one exactly knows for sure. So be more gentle until it's ran for a while if you care enough.

Most techs won't check that it has the spec as even some ford master techs don't even know about the wss-!@#$%^&* spec at all. As long as the sump has enough oil and it looked like it had some regular changes so it's clean enough for it to not be an issue they usually stop there and fix it under warranty. If they see the engine has too low an oil level and/or is sludged up then they'll stop there and blame you for lack of maintenance unless you have all the dealer service records to retort with.

A lot on here get paranoid that they will do used oil analysis on their engines with any little engine issue to see what they used and void it on the spot. Unless it was a mysterious problem that did real damage that only oil could possibly create and not a common problem noted in a TSB the ford dealer most likely won't do that.

Oh yeah the whole “is a Group III based synthetic really a synthetic” thingy. Talked about a lot on here but of course but I understand you wouldn’t know that because you’re new. Gotcha.
I’m still doing my digging around on here. It’s an awesome forum, better than anything you’ll get in the car groups or forums regarding oil

Ford only calls for full synthetic on anything requiring 5W50 (GT-500/GT currently) and 5W40 (3.2L Puma). Everything else is just a blend, but you can use full synthetic if you want.

Back