Cheap used cars I should buy now?

I love my 2008 Xterra. The market didn't love them, they only made 300,000 over 10 years. There awesome - family car, off roader, grocery getter. They do it all and run forever. Gave mine to my daughter so I am on the hunt for another one.

Got me thinking of the great cars that I should buy now, because there pretty cheap compared to new and they likely won't make another like it? So I am not talking about a 2004 Accord. Something thats more unique but still common. This is my current list. I can think of lots of others, but will start here.

1) Infiniti G37. Basically a 12th generation skyline - if I can find one that isn't black and isn't beaten to death.
2) Land Rover Disco 2. I know their junk, but they look cool?
3) Second Generation new Beatle.

Thoughts on mine? Ones I am missing. Ones you own already and love?

Does this need to be divided by need? Off road capable, smooth highway cruiser, 4 door utter beater?

Loved my Jetta Wagon, liked my '99 Camry, different reasons for both.

2010-2012 Pathfinder LE or a Silver edition if you can’t find the LE. Post timing chain tensioner years, might need an aftermarket radiator - but that’s easy enough.

The 3 in your list will be high maintenance headaches but if you fix them yourself you might be able to retire someday,
The Disco yes. The Infiniti no for sure (VQ/RE7 trans highly reliable, as were Nissan's in those years in general), the Beatle depends on the engine - they were available with the I-5 which I think is ultra reliable.

There was no method to the madness other than Unique and cheap part.
Unique can bite you, as that can mean parts availability as the years go by. Cheap to buy, maybe cheap to keep going for a while, but you'll need to know when to get out.

I honestly haven't been following lately. Lately nothing is interesting, all the interesting stuff is old, high miles and lots of rust. The stuff less than 20 years old isn't a value to me, rust and has to pass ODB2 emissions, while over 20 is... of course rusty.

Unique can bite you, as that can mean parts availability as the years go by. Cheap to buy, maybe cheap to keep going for a while, but you'll need to know when to get out.

I honestly haven't been following lately. Lately nothing is interesting, all the interesting stuff is old, high miles and lots of rust. The stuff less than 20 years old isn't a value to me, rust and has to pass ODB2 emissions, while over 20 is... of course rusty.
Well that might be why I don't own them - other than the Xterra which is the same drivetrain as the Frontier - so lots of parts.

I think the Beatle shares most parts with a Jetta.

Infiniti don't know. Disco - you don't see them anymore - not sure if it is parts or they just suck :ROFLMAO:

No rust here so thats part of the equation.

Well that might be why I don't own them - other than the Xterra which is the same drivetrain as the Frontier - so lots of parts.

I think the Beatle shares most parts with a Jetta.

Infiniti don't know. Disco - you don't see them anymore - not sure if it is parts or they just suck :ROFLMAO:

No rust here so thats part of the equation.
The problem with the Beetle is the interiors don't hold up. They don't make replacement door panels, at least that I'm aware of. Also the inside plastics have a coating on them kind of like rubber that peels off. I had a 2004 Beetle TDI that I sold in 2015.

The problem with the Beetle is the interiors don't hold up. They don't make replacement door panels, at least that I'm aware of. Also the inside plastics have a coating on them kind of like rubber that peels off. I had a 2004 Beetle TDI that I sold in 2015.
Good to know.

Can you paint the plastic panels or something?

Good to know.

Can you paint the plastic panels or something?
Yes. M539Restorations (YT) has a couple of episodes where he repainted the soft touch plastics which also plagued BMW's of that vintage. He had to do a few pieces of an Alpina B7. You may want to look at his channel for the interior detailing episode around 2022/2023 (iirc)

Last edited:
I had a 2011 Infiniti G37S sedan with a manual transmission for about 7 years, 70,000 miles. Don't miss it at all. VQ37 was meh. Really buzzy, and mine liked to burn oil from when I bought it at 28000 miles. Transmission had a whine too. However, it had a pretty decent Nav system at the time with a nice dial to zoom in and out with and arrows to move around without using a touchscreen. Wish more cars had that.

Can't go wrong with an Aztec. :) I know a few folks that have Nissan pickups that are well into the 300K+ mileage range now and still chugging along. I think they are relatively reasonable when they have the high mileage. Boxster, Audi TT...if you are handy with the wrenches.

Back