Cheap good oil analysis for fuel dilution?? Blackstone not best I have heard. Wix?

Well, I have a new Rav4 Prime (PHEV) and they have a habit of turning on the gas engine for a minute once in a while.

If you can charge your battery, you can drive nearly 100% of the time in EV mode, but there are reports of drivers that seldom drive long distances with the gas engine running, who develop fuel dilution of the oil. And the new Toyo runs 0w16 so not a lot of margin of error, IMHO.

Planning to do some UOA. Have read Blackstone does not have have gas chromatography (GC) and thus for fuel dilution is less reliable. Can someone clue me in what a good source is?

Amsoil seems to sell kits for around $24 plus shipping. There is a Wix kit that my local O'Reilly can get for like $20 as well.

It seems impossible to figure out who does the more reliable GC. I don't care about much else in a new engine.....

Well that's the issue. Not really clear who does it the right way (GC) and who does it the lazy way....

Well that's the issue. Not really clear who does it the right way (GC) and who does it the lazy way....
Have you searched the board for some example UOA's? I'd start there, I think I've seen a few WIX UOA's, but I can't recall off-hand if they had GC fuel or not unfortunately.

OAI still uses GC for fuel, don’t they?

If you want to know about the Wix service specifically, call (or email) them and ask.

Back