Cheap beater tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out walmart for its Douglas or Viva3 tires. Not great but still better than many chinese ones.

For only several hundred dollars more you could have Michelins.

Just thought I would post it and get it over with................

never mind canadian pricing is terrible and hard to lookup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
For only several hundred dollars more you could have Michelins.

Just thought I would post it and get it over with................

Yeah, after all the tires are the only thing touching the ground. Just depends how much you value your life.

Just posting to get that over with too.

I suppose I could pick up the tires in the states, but driving there to pick em up would probably cancel out any potential cost savings in gas and lost time. Speed ratings don't really matter, most of the tires i see of this size are V rated up to 240km/h. Which is probably faster than the car is able to go. I dont mind spending upwards of 120$ cad per tire for this car, I'd just prefer the peace of mind someone else's referral would give me.

Here are some cheap tires I am able to pick up locally, Maybe you guys have heard of some of these:
Ironman Imove gen 2 86$ ea
Antares INGENS A1 93$ ea
Westlake SA07 99$ ea
Starfire WR 105$ ea
GT radial CHAMPIRO UHP AS 119$ ea
Hercules RAPTIS R-T5 120$ ea
Fuzion UHP sport a/s 96$ ea
KUMHO ECSTA PA51 119$ ea

I found this Minerva for $111
smile.gif

Driving a beater you would be better off looking for one with 15" or even 14" tires not huge 235 45 17. It will be very hard to find cheap 17" tires. Cheapest on tire rack is Riken Raptor for $78 each.

We've run the Westlakes on the Matrix and a Mini Cooper, not quiet nor the best tread life but behaved fine, usable but not great in the slushy stuff we occasionally get here. Nankangs and Milestars are probably the best values I've run across, the Matrix has Milestars on it now. No cheap all season is going to be very good in the snow.

Originally Posted by wdn
Driving a beater you would be better off looking for one with 15" or even 14" tires not huge 235 45 17. It will be very hard to find cheap 17" tires. Cheapest on tire rack is Riken Raptor for $78 each.

Your absolutely right!

Granted I did not think of tire prices when i bought the car. Any half decent economy car around these parts holds its value like crazy. For the price I paid for this car, I could maybe get a civic or corolla few years older with probably double the mileage.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Is minerva a good tire? I've never heard of them. I cant even find that particular tire on their site.

There have been a few recommendations for milestars on here. I've never seen them before, do they sell in Canada?

A used tire place should sell 2 name brand tires at a decent price, like maybe $60-80 each mounted and installed? Also you can see what you are going to get and probably have a couple different options. I got a pair of 14" tire quite a few years ago for $40 each installed.

Originally Posted by Speedinsweede

I did not think of tire prices when i bought the car. Any half decent economy car around these parts holds its value like crazy. For the price I paid for this car, I could maybe get a civic or corolla few years older with probably double the mileage.

The Echo hatcbacks are awesome! (They didn't sell the Echo hatch down here
cry.gif
)
Even one with twice the mileage of your Saab might still last longer and cost less to keep on the road, which is why they hold their value.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Is minerva a good tire? I've never heard of them. I cant even find that particular tire on their site. [/quote]

That particular Minerva seems to have been replaced with another tire called the Emi Zero, but the new one may not be available yet.. The Minerva is probably equal to the other cheap tires, but it is probably a good idea for you to get all-weather tires (the 3-peak all-season kind)

But buying a set of 4 Kumho HA31 still seems to be the best way to go in your case.

Originally Posted by Speedinsweede
The other two are in pretty good nick, id say at least 7/32nds. For the past two winters I've swapped out the same pair for snows. I reckon I can get at least another year or two out of them.

Do you use only two winter tires?
crazy2.gif

I can't personally vouch for Maxxis, but a lot of the regional grassroots motorsport guys run their tires and like them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
My recommendation is for the General AS-05. Made by Continental in the USA and only cost 108.99 at tire rack or Walmart. I have these on my Veloster and I really like how they handle.
. My wife has these Generals on her Audi. The ones on her car are made in Portugal. They are biased towards very good dry and wet traction. As such they don't have the best traction on snow. We have a set of winter tires on wheels for the Audi when needed, which hasn't happened this winter yet.

I've seen westlakes and starfires In local independent shops around here but don't know where they made. When looking for cheapest does it matter? Don't get used unless you selling the car. Had General Altimax made in Brazil. Now have Hankook made in USA. My son just got Yokohama made in USA. If you can avoid China made do it.

Originally Posted by Randy_R
I've seen westlakes and starfires In local independent shops around here but don't know where they made.

China or Indonesia.
They also cost the same as the made in USA Douglas tires that Walmart sells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back