Purchasing used car - tires mismatched - options??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A set of 4 cant be that expensive in that size. Thats what I would do.

Sell the good front tires on Craigslist to recoup your cost. If they are good condition, might be able to get $40 each or more.

Yikes, hope you are handy. Not many folks I know have had luck with used luxury cars. Id go starfires...for now..and if no major repairs down the road replace with a better set.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A set of 4 cant be that expensive in that size. Thats what I would do.

Sell the good front tires on Craigslist to recoup your cost. If they are good condition, might be able to get $40 each or more.

A quality set of Grand Touring tires will run from $450-$600. I did Michelins last time around at $650 for complete installation/alignment...but no discounts/rebates. With these older cars the 225/60/16 isn't all that popular any more as touring cars have moved on to 17 and 18 inch wheels. Finding a local buyer for 16" Starfires might not be easy.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Yikes, hope you are handy. Not many folks I know have had luck with used luxury cars. Id go starfires...for now..and if no major repairs down the road replace with a better set.

My daily drivers since 2001 have been older Lincoln Continentals, 1997 and 2002. Had nothing but great luck on them until the accident this week took the current one out at 82K miles. I bought it for $9K in 2009 with 22K miles. Only repairs were radiator, one front axle, and front brakes, I did all the other routine maintenance. I figure after insurance pay out my capital cost per year on the vehicle will be about $650/yr. Not bad for a luxo boat. The other car was even less than that with no major failures during the first 125K miles I owned it (bought at 29K miles).

At 39K miles, I'm not expecting anything atypical with this one, especially since it was serviced no less than annually at a major dealership during the original owner's reign. It's not like I paid a ton for it either. If it gets me 3 yrs without anything major (to 60K miles) it will be at the $1000/yr point, my minimal goal. Though I don't see why this one won't get to 80K miles fairly easily - which is 6-1/2 yrs away. The air ride suspension on these cars can be problematic and costly. Same for the transmission if you beat on it or don't do frequent fluid changes. Yet, I've not spent a penny on repairs to either of those areas since I've owned these.

Having had nothing but 1997-2002 Lincoln Continentals since 2001, at least I know the cars and what it takes to make them survive. Their maintenance histories and costs seem to be a lot less than the Caddy's. I don't have all the answers which is why I ask questions here. For now, I'll keep going with what has worked in the past. While I was eyeing 2004-2007 Mercury Grand Marquis (25K-55K miles) this time around...this Lincoln popped up just yesterday, and close by. I have a soft spot for them and like the way they handle and perform...with tons of storage space.

Wait for DTD's memorial day sale and see what they have on sale. The Cooper CS5 Ultra will probably be on sale
smile.gif

How much is the buyback for the old Lincoln? Maybe you could keep it around for parts?

How bad is the damage?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Wait for DTD's memorial day sale and see what they have on sale. The Cooper CS5 Ultra will probably be on sale
smile.gif

Good deal. I could get Town Fair to beat the DTD price..and then install them inexpensively as well.

DTD was just offering a $70 rebate on Michelins...ending today. No matter, they have no stores within 75 miles of me.

-------------

Payout on the Lincoln is $4400. Salvage value in the $650 range per the appraiser. The damage is front end bumper/grille/crash bar. Those parts run $1800 alone. One body shop I trust quoted around $3000 to make it pretty again...which isn't really needed. The hood was pushed about 1/8" to the right which according to the appraiser meant the frame was tweaked during the 5-10 mph from end collision...that's the only thing that's not superficial. The damage didn't reach the evaporator, radiator or fans. So someone is going to make out real good on this one buying it at auction for $600-$800. Maybe it ends up in taxi service or goes overseas. It's an exceptionally clean car with real nice paint and interior. In fact, it's nicer than this 39K mile car I'm buying. I was tempted to keep it around as a back up car because you could just toss the front bumper back on and drive it with a crease in it. The impact bar and foam are only dented/cracked...still usable. I just don't have the time for another back up.

Either way, as a cheap driver or superb "rust free" parts car, someone is going to make out on this one. Drive train is superb and likely has another 100K+ miles in it. I'm still driving it. It could run across country in several days without issue.

I would not put cheap tires on a Lincoln ... Why? You put cheap tires on a beater, not a luxo-barg. I'd get some Goodyear Comfort-Air's and really cruise in quiet lux
laugh.gif

I've always liked the Continentals but being that they are FWD I've kinda stayed away from buying one because the engine bays are not so friendly to work on.

but i do like the DOHC 4.6

anyways Mixing tires isn't that big of a deal as long as they match up side to side and are the same size and speed rating.

I don't think my thunderbird that I've had for a long time has ever had a matching set of 4 tires, just sets of 2 that are matched.

Buy two tires you want and use the front back rotation method.

You'll find out quick on a slippery day like heavy rain or some sleet/ice/snow if the car is balanced enough or not. If not buy the matching set otherwise drive on.

You won't notice in about 85% of daily driving you have two sets of tires.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: CrAlt
If you decide to get 4 new tires check the spare if its a full size. If it is I would put one of the almost new ones on the spare rim.

These come with a huge trunk. And to do that you get the 60 psi "itty bitty" spare tire.

The new 2019 Rams come with a huge bed. And for $60,000, you get a 60psi "itty bitty" spare tire.

Not sure why they even bother.

Well, an old Continental isn't exactly a GT car either.
Personally, I'd just put two matching tires on the rear and drive on.
Years ago, I bought an Accord that came on new low-line Coopers.
They were surprisingly decent overall and wore well.
With as little as you'll use this car, I wouldn't bother with Michelins.
They'll be dry rotted and cracked long before you wear them out.

Delivered this morning. In checking on Ebay I can get a pair of new Starfires delivered for around $106. Mounting and alignment would run another $100. Probably cheaper to do that as package buying through Town Fair.

If it was me I would just buy 2 used tires. And then you can replace the whole set of 4 later on in the future.

Selling used tires on CL is a real pain in the butt and the people will make you offers of $10 each.

Also you will have to jack up the car to remove the old tires and then what are you going to do?

2510553156_9de45fd721.jpg

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Good deal. I could get Town Fair to beat the DTD price..and then install them inexpensively as well.

DTD was just offering a $70 rebate on Michelins...ending today. No matter, they have no stores within 75 miles of me.

-------------

Payout on the Lincoln is $4400. Salvage value in the $650 range per the appraiser. The damage is front end bumper/grille/crash bar. Those parts run $1800 alone. One body shop I trust quoted around $3000 to make it pretty again...which isn't really needed. The hood was pushed about 1/8" to the right which according to the appraiser meant the frame was tweaked during the 5-10 mph from end collision...that's the only thing that's not superficial. The damage didn't reach the evaporator, radiator or fans. So someone is going to make out real good on this one buying it at auction for $600-$800. Maybe it ends up in taxi service or goes overseas. It's an exceptionally clean car with real nice paint and interior. In fact, it's nicer than this 39K mile car I'm buying. I was tempted to keep it around as a back up car because you could just toss the front bumper back on and drive it with a crease in it. The impact bar and foam are only dented/cracked...still usable. I just don't have the time for another back up.

Either way, as a cheap driver or superb "rust free" parts car, someone is going to make out on this one. Drive train is superb and likely has another 100K+ miles in it. I'm still driving it. It could run across country in several days without issue.

I'll throw out another option.
If you are still in possession of the '02, and it has good tires......
Swap the rims and/or tires from the wrecked one to the replacement.
Sure, they are used tires, but you know who put the miles on them.

The car was appraised with usable 3 yr old Michelins on them...50% tread life left. I think it would pretty obvious if 4 [censored] tires were put on it in place of them...especially 2 - 18 yr old, dry rotted ones. Yeah, I could swap tires or even complete wheel sets, but the insurance company would have to agree...and that would require another appraiser visit and a likely deduction in price.

Just a thought. At 3 years and 50% wear, it's not worth the hassle anyway.
I'd just match up the 2 good tires you have and be done with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back