Charter to enforce bandwidth caps in Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In December, Charter Communications will begin enforcing the monthly bandwidth caps listed in their Acceptable Use Policy (Section 14). For most people, it will be 100GB a calendar month. The caps have been in place for over a year, but have been "soft caps" used to rein in only the worst bandwidth hogs.

But don't expect any help finding out how much bandwidth you actually use, Charter is "still testing" tools for that. Once you actually exceed the cap and get flagged, they will supposedly provide a phone number of someone you can call to check usage -- how convenient.

The CS reps in India knew even less about the caps than I did, so don't expect any info there. There is some information on the online support database. Basically, exceed the monthly caps 3 times in six months and your account is suspended for six months. Charter will gladly upgrade your service to a higher tier for more $$$ a month.

Looks like I picked a bad time to get hooked on watching HD progamming on Netflix.
frown.gif

I may be forced to "upgrade" to their "Plus" tier to get the 250GB limit. Of course, I can't make an informed decision because they won't tell me how much bandwidth I've burned.

I'd drop them in a heartbeat. I don't do caps and I don't do throttling. I pay for bandwidth per month and I'M the person who decides how much of that bandwidth I can use.

LOL you guys are funny. Bandwidth is not unlimited, despite what they might say. 100GB is a ton of data to be downloading! I'm not sure these caps are the answer, due to contractual issues, but in lieu of that, some sort of bandwidth shaping/prioritization has to be done, whether it's QoS or something else.

Maybe the best solution is just to turn down the network priority of those who have already exceeded a certain limit, rather than asking them to buy a higher tier or service. But still, the idea that bandwidth is absolutely unlimited is still absurd, it's not unlimited.

I run the network at the organization I work for and there's no way we'd ever let people download that much data. I'd turn em in to Internal Audit in a heartbeat. Of course, anything related to streaming is blocked anyways, it's pretty doubtful they'd ever get that high.

I use PdaNet on Android to tether my laptop into my phone - have no other internet connection. It will be interesting to see if they get on my case soon about my data usage. I know I am violating Verizon's terms of service for cell phone data service, so if I get in trouble it's my own fault. Maybe you guys should admit it as well.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

I run the network at the organization I work for and there's no way we'd ever let people download that much data. I'd turn em in to Internal Audit in a heartbeat.

the IT police is in the house
eek.gif

There's no telling how much broadband I use. I watch all my tv shows online (dexter, bones, supernatural, smallville, etc). I must have watched 20 plus episodes of doctor who in the past week alone. My wife is on facecrap constantly playing farmville. Good thing, I'm on a business broadband connection.
smirk.gif

Charter and all the big boys are scared that people are going to cut off video service and only buy internet. This is a volley in that war.

Think of all the people buying high speed for years that have yet to discover that "killer app"-- streaming video-- then once they do it gets swept away.

Cable should be treated like a utility. They claim satellite TV is competition, but it isn't if you have no view of the southern sky. To start, if cable offers an introductory price, they should have to give that price to existing customers. I mean you don't hear of the electric company giving intro pricing.
mad.gif

LOL you guys are funny. Bandwidth is not unlimited, despite what they might say. 100GB is a ton of data to be downloading! I'm not sure these caps are the answer, due to contractual issues, but in lieu of that, some sort of bandwidth shaping/prioritization has to be done, whether it's QoS or something else.

Maybe the best solution is just to turn down the network priority of those who have already exceeded a certain limit, rather than asking them to buy a higher tier or service. But still, the idea that bandwidth is absolutely unlimited is still absurd, it's not unlimited.

It goes quickly with Netflix burning 1GB/hour on HD. I like the throttling idea better. I suspect the whole bandwidth thing isn't the problem Charter makes it out to be, or they wouldn't offer the option to simply pay more for a higher limit. Smells like a cash grab.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I'd drop them in a heartbeat. I don't do caps and I don't do throttling. I pay for bandwidth per month and I'M the person who decides how much of that bandwidth I can use.

Where I live (the boondocks), Charter is really the only game in town. Verizon DSL doesn't serve my neighborhood and I'm not impressed my buddy's Verizon DSL service.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Charter and all the big boys are scared that people are going to cut off video service and only buy internet. This is a volley in that war.

I have to admit that the thought of dropping TV service crossed my mind...

Last edited:
Seriously, the ISPs COULD upgrade the network to handle increasing demands. But they CHOOSE to lower servie speeds, increase rates, and place caps. Customer satisfaction certainly is not job #1 at ISPs. We also have a monopolistic provider structure in the US, ine one given area there is only one major ISP. DSL, dial up, satellite don't count. I'm talking Time WArner, Comcast, Charter, Cox, etc.

There are bandwidth monitor programs available online like http://www.bwmonitor.com/freedown.htm. There are many others that you can find by searching bandwidth monitor in google. I have used these apps before and you get a good idea of how much data you are using each month because you can track data downloaded by day, week, month, ect.

Also I think the way to fix this problem of ISP's throlling bandwidth and charging very high prices for internet is to allow more competition. In my state (Mass) each town sells the rights to cable lines and dsl in the town to just one company. If they did away with this archaic law then instead of having just comcast of charter in a town we could have 5-6 different choices; and with competition the prices would come tumbling down, the quality of service would go up, and bandwidth caps would mean loosing customers to other providers. But why would politicians decide to have a free market instead of a monopoly; it's not like we live a free country with a free market.

Originally Posted By: J_Sap
There are bandwidth monitor programs available online like http://www.bwmonitor.com/freedown.htm. There are many others that you can find by searching bandwidth monitor in google. I have used these apps before and you get a good idea of how much data you are using each month because you can track data downloaded by day, week, month, ect.

Can these programs monitor internet usage by non-computer devices? (I watch Netflix programs on my Blu-ray player) Most of the programs I've looked at only monitor the computer they're installed on.

Also, I'd need something that can distinguish between LAN and WAN traffic. When I transfer programs between Tivos, they go across the LAN and Charter's bandwidth isn't used.

dd-wrt can do it on a router.

you goto the status--->>wan tab and it shows incoming and outgoing (on wan not lan)

and will also show you a graph for days of the month

trafficz.jpg

etc

Last edited:
Good info, Rand, but I was hoping not to have to buy any new equipment. My current router is a cheap Netgear.

I am looking for some program (preferably free) that can sniff packets and monitor all WAN traffic and tell me the aggregate BW. I have two computers on wired, and a laptop on wifi, a couple of Tivos, and a blu-ray player (running Netflix and Vudu). As much as I don't want to have to lay out any cash, I think I'm going to have to look into the new router route.

This bandwidth monitoring stuff has got to be fun for people with teenagers in the house!

I run the network at the organization I work for and there's no way we'd ever let people download that much data. I'd turn em in to Internal Audit in a heartbeat. Of course, anything related to streaming is blocked anyways, it's pretty doubtful they'd ever get that high.

I use PdaNet on Android to tether my laptop into my phone - have no other internet connection. It will be interesting to see if they get on my case soon about my data usage. I know I am violating Verizon's terms of service for cell phone data service, so if I get in trouble it's my own fault. Maybe you guys should admit it as well.

I think the difference in usage profiles between a business and home network need to be put into perspective here.

On many of the networks I manage and monitor, bandwidth usage is of course one of the flagged criteria. As is what sites are visited... And at what times those sites are visited. Blocked site hits...etc.

In many of these cases, the ISP used imposes no form of bandwidth cap. In others, when dealing with providers like Cogeco Cable and BELL, there are caps in place. In either instance, cap or not, it is really of little concern, since the type of traffic moved across these networks never consumes anywhere near the volume of bandwidth allocated on the capped networks.

If you have an employee who is downloading Torrents at work, you have an employee issue, not a bandwidth limitation issue. Which I think is at least in part, the point you are trying to make. And while policy on many networks makes this forbidden (and oft near impossible to do anyway) I don't think this should be the case for a user in their home unless they are abusing the connection (something in itself which is going to have a lot of variance in the definition of).

At work, you are on company time. Time you are being paid to use productively.

At home, you are PAYING for the use of the connection through your ISP, and in most cases, it is not the same "class" of service; being a consumer-grade connection rather than a business-class connection.

An individual pays their ISP X amount of dollars every month to use this service. And as long as their use complies to the ISP's TOS, then there really shouldn't be an issue. And if there is no cap in that TOS, then the person really should be free to download as much as they like, since that is what they are paying for.

When an ISP over-subscribes to the point where THEY have a bandwidth issue, and then start rolling out caps to attempt to curb usage, to allow more over-subscription, then that is an ISP issue, not a user issue. I'm not sure if that is the case here, but I do know that one local ISP has no problem allowing cap-free Internet at a reasonable rate and have the backbone and infrastructure in place to readily cope with the usage that comes from this.

Now of course this is an expensive endeavour; keeping ahead of your subscribers is. But it makes for happy customers.

We will fix the bandwidth issue the American way - instead of investing in infrastructure, we will raise barriers like high prices or bandwidth caps.

to put this in perspective, 100 gigs is probably my weekly consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back