Ford Returning to Formula 1 Racing in 2026

Having quit F1 at the end of the 2004 season, when it pulled the plug on the Jaguar operation and its badging of Cosworth engines, Ford announced on Friday that it will be coming back for the new engine era that begins in 2026.

Its early morning announcement only made reference to its plans to enter F1 again, and it did not detail which teams it would be working with.

However, as Motorsport.com first revealed back in December, Ford has been in talks with Red Bull for many months and it is understood that a deal is in place and is expected to be announced during the Milton Keynes-based team's car launch later.

Ford has cited two key factors in its decision to return to F1 – the growth of the sport, especially in the United States, since Liberty Media's takeover, plus the increasing role that electric power will play in the 2026 power units.

Ford is one of the most successful manufacturers in the history of F1, having won ten constructors' championships and 13 drivers' championships.

Seems to be sponsorship more than anything.
They've been out of this genre for a long time, I'm not sure what they will really have to contribute besides $$ and a logo.

Not a big Ford Racing fan but they did build some impressive F1 engines years ago. Ford/Cosworth

Ford Cosworth.jpg

Racing is mucho expensive, but it also brings distinct advantages as well.
There's a lot to learn from racing in terms of technology; learning from your mistakes and also learning from your competitors.
Plus, there is something that does speak to brand loyality when your brand does well on the podium.

Re-focusing on the global market?? F1 has always had a large, fanatical and largely upscale fan base that many US businesses seem to ignore, even those with a global presence. We, my former employer, realized that early on, and the discussion at the C level prior to committing was interesting to listen to; US focus vs. global.

Ford is to become a partner in Red Bull Ford Powertrains, to supply its two teams from 2026 until at least 2030.

Work is to start immediately with Red Bull in helping develop the new engine, which will include a 350kW electric motor.

It is anticipated that Ford will assist in the progress of the combustion engine development, as well as in areas like battery cell, electric motor technology, plus other software elements.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner believed the Ford partnership was a big boost to his squad's long-term ambitions.

I wish Ford would hire David Croft. To do what, I have no idea and don't care. Just so it would get him off the air, so I don't have to listen to his insane screaming for the first 3 laps, and on every restart.

Back