changing your oil too often will harm your engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edhackett
I can't believe that they apparently didn't secure enough oil of the same batch to run the entire set of test intervals(40,500 miles). At least they weren't stupid enough to use UOA data to measure wear.

I can't understand why they wouldn't secure enough of the same batch, either. I tend to accomplish that on my own, for completely trivial reasons. For a study, that's a bit silly.

Originally Posted by avi1777
yes but then read this thread so want to know for sure

lol.gif

Don't worry. I was very confused for a while after joining ... Maybe still am
shocked2.gif

You will eventually settle somewhere in the middle. Same in case of oci, not too long, not too short ... If you care enough to be a member, your car will do fine.

btw, you sure you are not a southerner? J/K
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by y_p_w
and i meant 6k kilometers btw so now thinking maybe its to often

At least the North American owners manual for a 2019 CX-5 says 8000 km or 6 months is the severe service interval. For what it's worth, the US/Canada recommendation is first for Mazda or Castrol (some sort of licensing agreement) 0W-20 and then for any current API SM, SN, or ILSAC rated 0W-20. Probably has to do with fuel economy requirements. For Mexico (where I don't believe the engine is any different) they still have the same recommendations, but 5W-30.

I understand that you're doing this for peace of mind given your hot climate, short trips, and just to make you feel like you're treating your vehicle right. Really though - if you're going to change it that often, I really don't see the point of going with anything that's more than a basic level of protection. Also - anything with the API SN Plus certification is going to meet a pretty high standard, even if it's marketed as "conventional".

More expensive oils don't really perform better for normally driven vehicles with short replacements. They might help if you're pushing the replacement interval or if it's a turbo.

is there a chance of cat poisoning if i change to often considering the oil is in the 700-800 max zppp levels?my cts had 3 cats gone when i changed every 2-2.5k kilometers,then again had bad coils to.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
and i meant 6k kilometers btw so now thinking maybe its to often

At least the North American owners manual for a 2019 CX-5 says 8000 km or 6 months is the severe service interval. For what it's worth, the US/Canada recommendation is first for Mazda or Castrol (some sort of licensing agreement) 0W-20 and then for any current API SM, SN, or ILSAC rated 0W-20. Probably has to do with fuel economy requirements. For Mexico (where I don't believe the engine is any different) they still have the same recommendations, but 5W-30.

I understand that you're doing this for peace of mind given your hot climate, short trips, and just to make you feel like you're treating your vehicle right. Really though - if you're going to change it that often, I really don't see the point of going with anything that's more than a basic level of protection. Also - anything with the API SN Plus certification is going to meet a pretty high standard, even if it's marketed as "conventional".

More expensive oils don't really perform better for normally driven vehicles with short replacements. They might help if you're pushing the replacement interval or if it's a turbo.

is there a chance of cat poisoning if i change to often considering the oil is in the 700-800 max zppp levels?my cts had 3 cats gone when i changed every 2-2.5k kilometers,then again had bad coils to.

I don't think changing the oil too often is going to hurt. Wouldn't that be more a result of too much blow by? You wouldn't be creating more ZDDP, just replacing what's already there.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
yes but then read this thread so want to know for sure

lol.gif

Don't worry. I was very confused for a while after joining ... Maybe still am
shocked2.gif

You will eventually settle somewhere in the middle. Same in case of oci, not too long, not too short ... If you care enough to be a member, your car will do fine.

btw, you sure you are not a southerner? J/K
grin2.gif

Good point. I think two of the best things you can do regarding an OCI is:

1. Avoid blanket statements regarding how long dino or synthetic oil can be run. EG: Dino should easily handle x amount of miles, and synthetic can easily handle y amount of miles. The only guarantee following those statements is the possibility of a problem.

2. When in doubt of how long you can run dino or synthetic oil, get a UOA. Minimize or eliminate the risk of being wrong.

My money's on the coils being at fault, not the oil.

the dealership puts the mc semi but its summer time soon will i be better of with the m1?
im starting to think even tho oil are not born equal it dosnt matter what u use as long as its in the spec and intervals.
and im an ex redline guy.

the dealership puts the mc semi but its summer time soon will i be better of with the m1?

Probably won't hurt. I'd do it. Can't say it'd be better, though.

im starting to think even tho oil are not born equal it dosnt matter what u use as long as its in the spec and intervals.

I'd expand that just a bit: if the oil, intervals, AND usage are all within spec, then any differences are going to be marginal at best. But I think that's pretty much what you meant, yeah?

I'm also an ex-boutique oil guy, and I've come to the same conclusion.

Originally Posted by d00df00d

I'd expand that just a bit: if the oil, intervals, AND usage are all within spec, then any differences are going to be marginal at best. But I think that's pretty much what you meant, yeah?

ye thanks

even tho the m1 is costing me the same as the mc but has half the noack,its a strong consideration isnt it?

even tho the m1 is costing me the same as the mc but has half the noack,its a strong consideration isnt it?

For that and other reasons, heck yes.

If it costs the same, there's no reason not to go for it.

if im changing according to the severe service intervals using the right spec what other reasons bedsides the noack thing?
tnx

I just maliciously damaged my car last night with 5.7 quarts of Castrol 0w40 . In 4-5 thousand miles I'm going to damage it again .

if im changing according to the severe service intervals using the right spec what other reasons bedsides the noack thing?
tnx

Synthetic, top-of-the-line additive packs, typically low ash values, etc.

yes but thos additives are for long intervals or something extra?

Everything: anti-wear, friction reduction, dispersancy/detergency, etc.

yes but thos additives are for long intervals or something extra?

I remember discussion of this topic with people in the industry. Making a complete oil is not all that simple because increasing the performance of one thing may mean reducing the performance of something else. All the additives are "competing" for surface area. Back in the 90s, Castrol USA was claiming that their "unique molecular structure" included ester base oils that would cling to metal surfaces. But in discussion with people in the motor oil industry, esters aggressively clinging to metal isn't always the best thing because it could "outcompete" with antiwear/detergent additives that also need to get to that metal surface.

Everything is a balancing act to get all those ingredients to "cooperate". I believe they have to make the entire package meet performance tests and not just excel in one performance aspect. I have heard of some race oils that claim to be no compromise with friction reduction. Red Line says that their race oils are low detergent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back