Changing transmission fluid and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for the bulkparts link error. Typing a period at the end of a sentence is such an automatic response I did not notice it.
Installing an extra tranny cooler is not that difficult for a home mechanic.

I recommend a stacked plate design cooler such as a B&M or Transcool over the fin and tube type such as Hayden. The stacked plate models are closer to original equipment design, are more efficient, less likely to clog due to multiple oil flow paths and due to design have a built in by pass thermostat so the cooler allows your transmission to warm up faster than it would if the oil flowed through the cooler constantly.

This home fluid exchange/flush method is from the Ford Probe forum and they got it from the Crown Vic forum. I have used it several times.

Run the engine to operating temp and check dipstick to make sure the level is OK. Drain all the oil in the pan, replace filter and reinstall pan. Follow filter manufacturer's instructions for gasket installation. If it says not to use gasket sealant, then don't use it! Also, you don't need to jack the bolts on with a breaker bar. I think 12 ft-lbs or so is fine. Just work around the pan turning each bolt in about 1/2 turn at a time. Measure the amount of old fluid that drained out and put only this amount of new fluid back into the trans fill tube.

Disconnect the trans fluid return line where it connects to the radiator (most likely the top line going into the radiator). Slip a clear rubber hose on the end of this line and put the other end in a bucket. Check to see what the total capacity of the tranny is. Subtract the amount of new fluid you already installed. For example, you drained 5qts out of the pan and your total capacity is 12 qts (these are real numbers for AOD-equipped Crown Vic's). The difference is 7 quarts. Have this amount of new fluid ready.

Now, have a "trusty" assistant start the engine and place the tranny in drive (brake and emerg brake applied of course!) while you slowly add the 7 quarts of fluid. As you do this the old fluid will be forced out into the bucket. If you can see the clear hose, you will see the fluid's color change from reddish brown (hopefully not brown) to bright red. When this occurs, all the old fluid is replaced. Should be about the time the last quart is added. Reconnect the fluid line, run the engine to operating temp and check dipstick level. Top off if req'd. This procedure is really easy and it drains ALL the fluid, including the fluid in the converter.

something to consider when looking at doing adding an oil cooler at the same time of before the oil flush on a transmission.

Many new transmission coolers has high levels of copper from assembly and if you are going to install one, try and do it prior to the flush, that way when you do flush the unit, it will help reduce the copper levels from assembly of the cooler as you will be flushing out the cooler as well. Just a thought.

Forget about changing tranny fluid. Install a submicronic bypass filter and change the filter once a year. I have three kinds of submicronic filters on my cars. They all work the same. The little wantabe filters that you add on are a lot better than the stock internal filter but still are not much good. ATF is a lot dirtier than it looks. You have a lot of wear material off the gears, clutches and bands.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back