Changing to spin on Filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BlakeB
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I don't take your point.

Th LN Adapter is 13/16-16 and is intended to be used with the Wix/Napa 1042, etc.

The XG3600 will not fit the adapter, nor will the Baldwin 7020.

He says they sent a 1348, which is 3/4-16. I assume that fits the adapter or they would not have sent it with it? Does the adapter have different size nipples with it or available?

I am not aware of which Cayman he owns; he did not say in the original post.

The original adapter (for M96-engined cars) is 13/16-16. I assumed that this is what he was after since he mentioned the Napa 1042 in his original post, and since that is the size filter i have equipped on my personal car.

If he has a 9A1-engined Cayman, then he got he correct adapter and filter, and the XG3600 would indeed be a good choice if he has the clearance.

The LN filter adapter was originally designed to save the rest of the engine from debris generated by a failing or failed IMS bearing - if his car is not M96-engined, then there is no reason to run a filter without a bypass valve. I think that in the OP's case, he would be better served by simply replacing the OEM filter housing every few oil changes and sticking with the factory cartridge filter.

Why not use the VW/Audi can?

The ever lovely Fram Ultra XG2870A. The Mahle is tagged 719/30.

It's kinda ironic that a crummy Beetle 2.slow has a bypass built into the filter mount and a bypass in the filter.

22psi bypass valve spec on the Fram, and it's a 5 inch long can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BeerCan
They sent the NAPA gold 1348 which has a bypass at 8-11 psi, but everywhere online LN (the maker) recommends the NAPA gold 1042 which is a full flow filter with no bypass, apparently everyone who uses this kit uses the full flow.

Yeah, the 1042 has a different thread (13/16 -16) than the 1348 (3/4 -16) that was sent with the kit. So whoever reference the use of a 1042 might be using a different adaptor for a different engine - or they are mating different threads by mistake and the filter is in danger of blowing off the mount !

http://m.wixfilters.com/Search/PartDetail?PartID=34462 &Source=WESR

http://m.wixfilters.com/Search/PartDetail?PartID=153472 &Source=WESR

Yeah, it was determined earlier I was confusing the two different applications. I have the 9A1 and need a filter with the bypass and 3/4-16 threads. Sorry for all the confusion.

I still want to go with the spin on filter vs the canister style.

I emailed Baldwin about the B7020 to get the specs. They told me it flows 15 to 20 GPM and sent this screenshot

[Linked Image]

Also I was looking at the oem cartridge filter, it is 5.5" long and with the canister probably a little longer. Taking into account the space the adapter takes up, about half an inch, I could probably run the Fram XG3600. I will know for sure once I get the car lifted up, but this might end up being my plan.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that appears to be 50%@18 microns and 98.7%@40 efficiency. Wonder what those other efficiencies mean. Seem to be related to the beta ratio numbers. Interesting they spec a media grade.
They also say estimated performance of the media which means it is mass produced and this is the estimate they have of maybe what you will get.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
I emailed Baldwin about the B7020 to get the specs. They told me it flows 15 to 20 GPM and sent this screenshot

[Linked Image]

Also I was looking at the oem cartridge filter, it is 5.5" long and with the canister probably a little longer. Taking into account the space the adapter takes up, about half an inch, I could probably run the Fram XG3600. I will know for sure once I get the car lifted up, but this might end up being my plan.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that appears to be 50%@18 microns and 98.7%@40 efficiency. Wonder what those other efficiencies mean. Seem to be related to the beta ratio numbers. Interesting they spec a media grade.
They also say estimated performance of the media which means it is mass produced and this is the estimate they have of maybe what you will get.
laugh.gif

For total efficiency looks like they just averaged the 2 numbers. I like Baldwin filters but decided to pass on this one.

For total efficiency looks like they just averaged the 2 numbers. I like Baldwin filters but decided to pass on this one.

Yeah, the efficiency isn't that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back