Changing to spin on Filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BHopkins
Originally Posted by atikovi
NAPA filters on Porsche? Ferdinand is turning over in his grave.

Why?

Kinda like putting Peb Boys wheel covers on it too. Maybe it's just me, but if I have a nice Porsche I'm going to use a Porsche oil filter, especially if it's a spin-on that's visible, or at least a name brand aftermarket one.

Why?

Kinda like putting Peb Boys wheel covers on it too. Maybe it's just me, but if I have a nice Porsche I'm going to use a Porsche oil filter, especially if it's a spin-on that's visible, or at least a name brand aftermarket one.

I could call it a Wix if that is better.
smile.gif
And the only way to see the filter on this car is if you crawl underneath the middle of the car, it's virtually impossible to see from anywhere when you have the car on the ground. This is the Cayman so the engine is in the middle and not hanging off the back like the 911. it's not anywhere near like putting pep boys wheel's on it, but of course when you get your Porsche you are free to use the oem filter.

But just curious, who makes Porsche filters anyway? Probably mahle, so nothing special.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Yes - if the OEM bypass feature is being removed as part of the mod, then by all means ABSOLUTELY USE THE 1348 WITH BP BUILT IN.
The 51516 is a slightly taller version of the 51348, but the larger filter is not going to be necessary with a planned 5k mile OFCI.

Originally Posted by BlakeB
A 1348 is a 3/4-16 filter. Is there room for an XG8A?

I have a length constraint so both these filters are probably to long. I think with the length the adapter takes up I am limited to about 4" but I am going to measure everything when I install to be sure.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Yes - if the OEM bypass feature is being removed as part of the mod, then by all means ABSOLUTELY USE THE 1348 WITH BP BUILT IN.
The 51516 is a slightly taller version of the 51348, but the larger filter is not going to be necessary with a planned 5k mile OFCI.

Originally Posted by BlakeB
A 1348 is a 3/4-16 filter. Is there room for an XG8A?

I have a length constraint so both these filters are probably to long. I think with the length the adapter takes up I am limited to about 4" but I am going to measure everything when I install to be sure.

The Toyota 90915-yzzd3 is a good filter that might be short enough to fit. The threads and pitch is right if it'll fit. The 90915-yzzd1 is basically the same filter, just a little shorter. They're cheap and readily available. Walmart is even carrying some Toyota filters now. I used the D3 on my 4.0 Tacoma for 12 years, I've never seen any issues on any of the Toyota filters I've cut open.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx...l-filter-90915-yzzd1-vs-90915-yzzd3.html

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Actually fond out the the fitment they choose was the same as the Tacoma, so thanks for those links and information.

By everything I know and have read, if a manufacturer calls for an oil filter with no bypass, that means there is an oil bypass circuit built into the engine or the oil pump. Also, I would not at all worry about using an oil filter with a bypass if no bypass is called for -- it's just an additional level of insurance. Surely some will disagree.

Originally Posted by DGXR
By everything I know and have read, if a manufacturer calls for an oil filter with no bypass, that means there is an oil bypass circuit built into the engine or the oil pump.

The oil pump bypass (aka, pressure relief valve) has nothing to do with an oil filter bypass valve.

Just so everyone knows I am going to use a filter with a bypass. Looking at the Toyota one or a baldwin b7020

I am going to do 5k changes on this car so I am not overly worried about dirt capacity differences in the filters.

Just so everyone knows I am going to use a filter with a bypass. Looking at the Toyota one or a baldwin b7020

Are you concerned about efficiency?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I am going to do 5k changes on this car so I am not overly worried about dirt capacity differences in the filters.

Are you concerned about efficiency?

Yes, what I meant by that statement is I was not worried about how much a filter can hold before it's clogged. Because I am not doing extended drains on this car.

Why?

I could call it a Wix if that is better.
smile.gif
And the only way to see the filter on this car is if you crawl underneath the middle of the car, it's virtually impossible to see from anywhere when you have the car on the ground. This is the Cayman so the engine is in the middle and not hanging off the back like the 911. it's not anywhere near like putting pep boys wheel's on it, but of course when you get your Porsche you are free to use the oem filter.

But just curious, who makes Porsche filters anyway? Probably mahle, so nothing special.

Yep, it's Mahle. Nothing special. If you want to run a filter with a bypass you're better off buying a new filter and housing. They're available together as a kit, $20 from the dealer.

I emailed Baldwin about the B7020 to get the specs. They told me it flows 15 to 20 GPM and sent this screenshot

[Linked Image]

Also I was looking at the oem cartridge filter, it is 5.5" long and with the canister probably a little longer. Taking into account the space the adapter takes up, about half an inch, I could probably run the Fram XG3600. I will know for sure once I get the car lifted up, but this might end up being my plan.

I emailed Baldwin about the B7020 to get the specs. They told me it flows 15 to 20 GPM and sent this screenshot

[Linked Image]

Also I was looking at the oem cartridge filter, it is 5.5" long and with the canister probably a little longer. Taking into account the space the adapter takes up, about half an inch, I could probably run the Fram XG3600. I will know for sure once I get the car lifted up, but this might end up being my plan.

Wrong thread size.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

[Linked Image]

Wrong thread size.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't take your point.

Th LN Adapter is 13/16-16 and is intended to be used with the Wix/Napa 1042, etc.

The XG3600 will not fit the adapter, nor will the Baldwin 7020.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I don't take your point.

Th LN Adapter is 13/16-16 and is intended to be used with the Wix/Napa 1042, etc.

The XG3600 will not fit the adapter, nor will the Baldwin 7020.

He says they sent a 1348, which is 3/4-16. I assume that fits the adapter or they would not have sent it with it? Does the adapter have different size nipples with it or available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back