Changing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I promised some pictures of me changing oil....

Here we go,
2237787645_fa1bf025ce.jpg

Yep, thats Amsoil SSO 0w30, Royal Purple ATF, and a Purolator Oil filter and Air filter (not shown). The spark plugs were the wrong type so I didn't do anything with those...

2238579232_66a320eee0.jpg

Amsoil SSO 0w30 after 7,754 miles. Not bad eh? No that is not my leg... Thats my sister's. She actually wanted to watch me change oil and learn how.

2237788895_f32d569c76.jpg

Yep, we pulled the drain plug and out comes the oil. Blackstone sample bottle all filled up and ready to be shipped off.

2238580650_55def76423.jpg

Yep, thats me pouring the golden oil into the crankcase. REAL MEN DON'T USE FUNNELS.

One more shot of the oil....

2238581524_4bd5bfb5c5.jpg

Nothing makes you sleep better at night than changing the oil in your baby. :)

UOA report is here: Paul's UOA Report

alreadygone - That was just for the picture. After the picture all that stuff was put off to the side. :)

ThirdeYe - True true... forgot about it in the beginning but remembered later on. One thing I hate about funnels - they collect tons of dust between oil changes and its hard to clean them.

Nice pictures, OH - like seeing those!

This new SSO seems, from your pictures, much, much darker than the old TSO. I'm assuming that is a 'good' thing, as it probably indicates a higher concentration of Ca detergents. I just remember doing a few changes for people at W-M last year that brought in TSO, and that stuff was almost clear out of the bottle - to the point where it was actually hard to tell what the oil level was afterwards! I always remeber thinking that the old TSO was almost 'sparkly' as the last few drips came out - always thought it looked nice out of the bottle...

One more question, OH - you're obviously a HUGE fan of Amsoil...why RP in the tranny? And to follow that, ever thought of trying RP in the engine?

Yeah SSO is definitely darker. I remember the TSO as well - being so light on the dipstick it was hard to get a reading after changing it. Wow, when I worked at wal-mart I never had anyone bring in their own oil... Lucky :).

Yeah big fan of Amsoil mainly because they stand by their service interval warranty. Why Royal Purple in the tranny? It feels a lot smoother than Amsoil ATF and the cSt is a lot lighter (maybe why).

Never found RP oil anywhere (but haven't looked) - Napa by my work has RP ATF but thats it.

It was rare, but we had one guy with a souped-up Altima that ran all sorts of syns in it. One of my first oil changes I did myself was with his car, and he had TSO. Later, I did his car again with Platinum.

Another one, that was more memorable was a guy who was actually a dealer, and brought his family's vehicles in for us to change. He brough his brothers brand new F150 in for a change, and got us to run the Amsoil flush for 20 mins, drain it and fill with TSO. Took almost 7 quarts, and it was so light on the d/s that none of us in the shop could really tell if the level was correct...next week he shows up with his other brothers Ranger...same ritual...

Ahaha thats great. That would have been a lot of fun to do and see. 7 quarts of oil!!! Wowie, that had to be expensive - TSO is bad enough in a used engine but a brand new engine - that must have been near impossible to see the level.

I guess there are advantages to having a relative who is a dealer... :)

Yeah, we figured that change cost him something like $150...and to top it off, he wasn't using the 5W-20 specified for the warranty of his new $40,000 truck, and he didn't care! I know TSO would have protected the engine well, but I STILL would have gone with the manufacturer required grade.....

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Chris142
More pics of your sister?
grin2.gif

Yeah.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.