Changing oil prematurely today

Oil is cheap, cars are not. I have always been a 3/3K guy, and always will be. I see too many extended oil change pics here with varnished up engines. And yes, I do 3/3K with synthetic oil, which imo is no magic elixir. It's just oil.
^^^^Do this OP.^^^^
I have been a BITOG member since February 2003. Way back then, up until now, I have always stated that I was a 3-6 month/3-5K mile OCI changer. Members used to somewhat chide me about it. 17 years later, it's the new OCI. Who's laughing now?
OP, maybe doing things the old fashion way might fix your problem. :unsure:

^^^^Do this OP.^^^^
I have been a BITOG member since February 2003. Way back then, up until now, I have always stated that I was a 3-6 month/3-5K mile OCI changer. Members used to somewhat chide me about it. 17 years later, it's the new OCI. Who's laughing now?
OP, maybe doing things the old fashion way might fix your problem. :unsure:

I vote you could have the cleanest engine ever changing Amsoil SS every 3-5K miles ... kind of indirectly "chiding". lol J/K it's not a bad thing.
I thought I change early by dumping M1 EP which is a "15K" (or a 20K? oil) at 7K miles but I feel better now. :)

I vote you could have the cleanest engine ever changing Amsoil SS every 3-5K miles ... kind of indirectly "chiding". lol J/K it's not a bad thing.
I thought I change early by dumping M1 EP which is a "15K" (or a 20K? oil) at 7K miles but I feel better now. :)
This is my first ever Amsoil OCI. Member JLTD was kind enough to give me (3) gallons of it.

So, now I'm feeling froggy. I want to test Fram's claim that the Ultra can go 20K miles. Would I be good running one if I changed the oil every 5K? So 4 oil changes on one Ultra?

Edit: Isn't the Fram Titanium also essentially the same filter as the Ultra? It also claims to be 20K capable and my local Advance carries it but not the Ultra.

Sounds to me from reading all your comments OP that you need to change oil more if that screen is getting clogged. I would...(do at your own risk) when this oil gets maybe 3k miles on it add 1/2 can to 1/3 of can of seafoam in oil and let it idle 20min. Then drain change oil and put good filter on it like fram ultra drive it for 3k miles and change it again use good oil from now on its cheap enough now days like Amazon basic full syn, castrol magnetic or Supertech full syn...Pair that with good filter fram ultra, Puralator boss, Wix, Wix XP. You cant be doing crazy long oil changes like you are on some mixed crap oil lol.

Fram Ultras don't tear ... it has wire backed media. Go hang out in the oil filter forum and you'll see many have ran the Ultra for 15~20K miles, and even longer. Of course, that's on an engine that is clean inside, not a sludger.

Advance Auto Parts doesn't sell both the Titanium and Ultra since the Titanium is basically and Ultra made by Fram specifically for AAP, and it's only available and sold at AAP.

I'm running the OEM filter on my car for 31k miles, with no wire backed media and no tearing or other visible damage, degradation, deformation or saturation. 20k on a decent sized filter should be no issue at all

OP - if the solenoid screen is in fact full of sludge, then you need to ramp up your OCI. I would shoot for 4-5K miles intervals max on one oil change and use a new Fram orange can every time. Just my advice.

I am going to start 4-5k mile max OCI's at least for the next 4 or 5 OCIs to help clean things up.

I don't know why this just now occurred to me, but is the fact that about 98% of my driving is short trips a possible contributor to sludging?

My work is about a 3 minute drive from my house, and my school is about 15 minutes out.

With it being cold and my heat not being the best I do have a remote starter and I warm the car up for about 20 minutes in the morning before I drive but that's just idle time and not road use at varying RPMs

I don't know why this just now occurred to me, but is the fact that about 98% of my driving is short trips a possible contributor to sludging?

My work is about a 3 minute drive from my house, and my school is about 15 minutes out.

Yes, short trips combines with a long OCI isn't doing your oil any good. And you're in Ohio, so I'm sure those winter driving days are very cold.

I am going to start 4-5k mile max OCI's at least for the next 4 or 5 OCIs to help clean things up.

With it being cold and my heat not being the best I do have a remote starter and I warm the car up for about 20 minutes in the morning before I drive but that's just idle time and not road use at varying RPMs
Next 4-5 oil changes? Why? Do you like repeating the same problem over and over? Consider using a synthetic oil, synthetic media filters, and change the oil every 5k miles ALWAYS! Another option is the 3k/3mo interval and ignoring your problem causing OLM.

Yes, short trips are bad and considered severe or special service intervals.... usually half the normal intervals.... back in the day with automakers used uncommon sense oil grades and intervals. 3 minute drive? walk!!! With that many short trips, and your repeating hours, try 3k/3mo, the ol' Jippylube recommendations, with conventional oil. And, always change the filter.

I would get a block/coolant and oil pan heaters.... and run them an hour before your commute when leaving... at least when its parked in the driveway. Idling for extended times is just a waste of fuel and adds time to the oil that you're not considering.

Next 4-5 oil changes? Why? Do you like repeating the same problem over and over? Consider using a synthetic oil, synthetic media filters, and change the oil every 5k miles ALWAYS! Another option is the 3k/3mo interval and ignoring your problem causing OLM.

Yes, short trips are bad and considered severe or special service intervals.... usually half the normal intervals.... back in the day with automakers used uncommon sense oil grades and intervals. 3 minute drive? walk!!! With that many short trips, and your repeating hours, try 3k/3mo, the ol' Jippylube recommendations, with conventional oil. And, always change the filter.

I would get a block/coolant and oil pan heaters.... and run them an hour before your commute when leaving... at least when its parked in the driveway. Idling for extended times is just a waste of fuel and adds time to the oil that you're not considering.
20 minutes idling after a cold winter start, and then a 3 minute drive, long OCI on a problematic engine, what could go wrong?

Had a 2004 CRV. Both my wife and son had 2014 CRV. My other son has a 2017 CRV. All had there oil changed at 5000 miles. Never had a problem. Both of my sons still have there CRV (Great Cars) with no oil related issues.

Also for everyone giving me crap for running 10w30 and stuff like that let me clarify - I've only run 10w30 twice in this car because it's all I had on hand at the time and I wanted to use it up. All I have left now is 5w20 and various 5w30s in the stash. Lol
You just said you still have 1 jug of 10w30 left also, post# 28. I guess you'll just have to use it before you get to the 5w's in your stash. Old habits die hard.

Back