Changing oil prematurely today

Your typical OCI, the % remaining according to the OLM when you usually change the oil, and the type of oil used would be very interesting. I'm no fan of the OLM, but threads like this are of interest to me.

Edit: I see you answered while I was posting. I'd get a UOA @ 6K miles and tweak the OCI accordingly. Or if I didn't want to pony up for a UOA I'd cut the OCI to 6K.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the way to go in my opinion.

And I would think Jetronic could very well be right about his thoughts on the circumstances.

My typical OCI is about 10,000 miles. I change it when the OLM hits 15%. I use whatever the hell I have laying around in the garage but thats usually conventional 5w30 or 10w30.
Did I read that right..??? 10k miles..???? or 16k Km....??? on 1 OCI..???? Holly smack Batman..!!!!
and OLM saiz 15% remaining... something wrong here.....
my 2c..

I don't get what's hard to understand, at 10k miles on the OCI there's usually 15% left on the OLM.

Today's oil change... The oil and filter went on at 220,xxx miles, came off at 225,8xx with 30% on the OLM.

What you have been doing is catching up with it. Beater or not, you want it to be reliable, and continue to run well, no?

What you have been doing is catching up with it. Beater or not, you want it to be reliable, and continue to run well, no?
Yeah.. going forward I'm not running any heavier than 5w30 in it unless I have to. Luckily the majority of my current oil stash is 5w20 and 5w30. I only have one jug of 10w30 left.

I'm interested to see when 53' Stude posts my filter because when I took it off the car a LOT more oil than usual came out of it when I removed it. I'm talking, my entire sleeve of my jacket got soaked in oil when I took the filter off. Usually it just drips.

Wondering if it's some kind of ADBV failure and not my vtec solenoid since it's running fine with just new oil and filter and I didn't touch the solenoid.

Interesting idea cw....

May have been the deal there...

I know I had a filter that had to have been not right six years ago... My car had noise while running which had never happened before or since. I changed the oil and the filter right away and it was normal and quiet after that change.

Also for everyone giving me crap for running 10w30 and stuff like that let me clarify - I've only run 10w30 twice in this car because it's all I had on hand at the time and I wanted to use it up. All I have left now is 5w20 and various 5w30s in the stash. Lol

Interesting idea cw....

May have been the deal there...

I know I had a filter that had to have been not right six years ago... My car had noise while running which had never happened before or since. I changed the oil and the filter right away and it was normal and quiet after that change.
I'm really interested to see the c&p because seriously any other time when I take a filter off my car it just drips a little but today the entire sleeve of my jacket got drenched in oil

Also for everyone giving me crap for running 10w30 and stuff like that let me clarify - I've only run 10w30 twice in this car because it's all I had on hand at the time and I wanted to use it up. All I have left now is 5w20 and various 5w30s in the stash. Lol

Your K24 motor can handle 10W Spring thru fall where you live. But it does appear the engine does need shortened OCI's.
Those motors like to burn a little oil, but I would only use a Brand name or Super Tech synthetic at Wally's and use a Fram Ultra for a filter.
I would agree with your conclusion of using 5W20 or 5W30.

I used Mobil 1 10W30 in a very new 05 Accord when I lived in a warmer climate all year long, 5k OCI's. Lot of stop N go traffic.

Poke a hole in your filter with a hammer and a screwdriver and let it drain, you won't have a messy experience changing the filter.

Your K24 motor can handle 10W Spring thru fall where you live. But it does appear the engine does need shortened OCI's.
Those motors like to burn a little oil, but I would only use a Brand name or Super Tech synthetic at Wally's and use a Fram Ultra for a filter.
I would agree with your conclusion of using 5W20 or 5W30.

I used Mobil 1 10W30 in a very new 05 Accord when I lived in a warmer climate all year long, 5k OCI's. Lot of stop N go traffic.

Poke a hole in your filter with a hammer and a screwdriver and let it drain, you won't have a messy experience changing the filter.
I knew I probably wouldn't have an issue running 10w30 (and I never did for that matter) plus I'm in some cr-v owners club type groups and I've seen people in the middle east running 20w50 in theirs.

After I use up my current oil filter stash (got two left) I'll switch to a Fram ultra and run one of those for two OCIs and see how it does I know those filters are pretty good

The above being said, what's the maximum mileage I could leave a Fram ultra on for? Id like to use it to its full potential so it's not wasted

The above being said, what's the maximum mileage I could leave a Fram ultra on for? Id like to use it to its full potential so it's not wasted
Depends on who you believe the authority is.

If you believe Fram its 20K.

This is also what Honda claims for its autos using its own (vastly inferior) filters- or more specifically they recommend a filter change every other OCI.

what you will often get here on Bitog, (and how i was raised) is 1-1 is the way to go, and you'll get baseless analogies like re-using dirty underwear and saying like that, but what you won't find is any evidence the manufacturers have it wrong.

The non reuse guys claim the dirty oil in the filter is the devils juice, but they all fail to proactively bring up the larger quantity of dirty oil left in the engine that they don't actually flush.

Depends on who you believe the authority is.

If you believe Fram its 20K.

This is also what Honda claims for its autos using its own (vastly inferior) filters- or more specifically they recommend a filter change every other OCI.

what you will often get here on Bitog, (and how i was raised) is 1-1 is the way to go, and you'll get baseless analogies like re-using dirty underwear and saying like that, but what you won't find is any evidence the manufacturers have it wrong.

The non reuse guys claim the dirty oil in the filter is the devils juice, but they all fail to proactively bring up the larger quantity of dirty oil left in the engine that they don't actually flush.
I might try a Fram ultra next OCI for s&g and run it for 15k and do a c&p of it and see how it did... Sound like a good idea or no?

I might try a Fram ultra next OCI for s&g and run it for 15k and do a c&p of it and see how it did... Sound like a good idea or no?

I would.

I do it all the time. I've yet to see a failed FU C&P.

The only thing Id worry about in your situation is that it seems you have some sludge that may filll up the filter the first time.

Id run an orange can for 5K cut it and see whats in the pleats then run a long FCI with an ultra.

I would.

I do it all the time. I've yet to see a failed FU C&P.

The only thing Id worry about in your situation is that it seems you have some sludge that may filll up the filter the first time.

Id run an orange can for 5K cut it and see whats in the pleats then run a long FCI with an ultra.
Luckily I have a $5 coupon to advance and I get a discount there thru the dealer I work at now so I'll pick one up to keep on hand for my next oil change

Back