Changing oil makes engine burn it faster?

Yes, no crosshatch means it is worn out and therefore burning oil. Not to mention that no crosshatch means the cylinders aren't getting oiled properly causing ring and cylinder wear. This could be from abuse or it also might be from running too thin an oil and it simply wore itself out.

I see. Like in my case running a 5w-30 oil was too thin and I guess got worn out over the years? I did not receive any special instructions when buying the car other than the previous owner telling me that when filling the oil I shouldn't fill it up to the fill mark on the dipstick because it burns it off quicker, and I should keep it at the 3/4 mark instead. I did not understand why this was happening but I always kept the dipstick on the full mark regardless just to make sure everything is fine within parameters. It seems to me like he was having problems with oil loss too?

Like in one of my previous posts I was saying to do a full engine rebuild...ultimately I would like to do a compression test first in the spring time to see how the engine cylinders are doing and a leak down test as well too. Do you know what psi number is good for a 10:1 compression ratio?

If I do a rebuild, would I be able to run the 5w-30 oil again?

5w-30 oil is fine. Cylinder and ring wear happens over many, many thousands of miles (km's).

Okay, would it still be advisable to do a compression and leak down test in the spring time?

I have no Idea if I do or not. I did replace the pcv valve just to be sure but still encountered the same problem. My air filter is cleaned using the k&n air recharger oil, I never over oiled the filter either because I don't have any problems with my MAF.

Post some scan tool data up. What are the fuel trim values at idle and at 3000 rpms?

Post some scan tool data up. What are the fuel trim values at idle and at 3000 rpms?
Okay I will. I don't have the hptuners program or a laptop but I have a scan tool than can measure fuel trims, etc. I'll see if I can get any readings from it.

I just hooked up my scanner to my car but I'm unable to get any readings because the way my scanner works is if a trouble code is present then I can access more information like fuel trims, etc. I don't have any codes stored on the computer, therefore no information. The only information I can get is from the hptuners program.

Every scanner I've used can read fuel trims without there having to be any trouble codes going on.

Every scanner I've used can read fuel trims without there having to be any trouble codes going on.

I have an Innova 3100abs obdII scanner and when I press the DTC button, nothing happens on the screen. I even went to vehicle info and no VIN was available for the scanner to read.

The scanner needs to be able to read "Live Data" in order to see real time fuel trims. Even cheap scanners these days can read basic Live Data.

The scanner needs to be able to read "Live Data" in order to see real time fuel trims. Even cheap scanners these days can read basic Live Data.

Yeah the scanner is an old model from 2011, it was gifted by my neighbour before he passed away so that's the only scanner I have. I did some googling and the 3100 series scanners does not have the live data option. I can get my car scanned again for free by the previous owner of my car, he has the hptuners program.

I wouldn't say every scan tool as access to live data. He probably has the basic code reader.
I didn't say every scan tool ... said every one I have used could do live data. Yeah, a $20 scanner probably won't do live data, but most $40~50+ scanners will these days.

You need Noz lol... on a side note you have done all that work to your engine ever think about upgrading your trans?

You need Noz lol... on a side note you have done all that work to your engine ever think about upgrading your trans?

I have thought about it, however I still have the stock trans from the factory, it was tuned by the previous owner and can hold all the power and torque pretty well. The highest temperature I've seen was 182 degrees fahrenheit after changing the oil and filter in the trans and doing a flush also.

Back