Changing oil filter without loosing oil in engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I had the oil changed in the wifes Mazda 3 with the 2.3L engine. This engine has the cartridge type filter, which the housing is built into the bottom of the engine. You have to remove a plastic wind cover to get to it.

I had the oil change done by a Kwik Kar Penzoil place. Should have done it myself, got lazy and pressed for time...if you want it done right....

The guy was done real quick so I questioned him if he changed the oil filter... I know he didnt have time to remove and replace the panel. He says yeah i did. I say "show me the one you removed." He says its in a barrel I am not getting it for you".

Alas I gave up and paied.

Anyone here familier with this engine? Will I loose the crankcase oil by just removing the filter?

Quote:

He says its in a barrel I am not getting it for you".

The correct response would be: "I guess I am not getting my wallet for you then."

What jerks. Sorry you had that experience. I would think that if he did infact change the oil filter it would be pretty obvious. Even if it is protected by a shroud an old one would still have a good accumulation of dirt on it. But your suspicions are probably correct - he didn't change it.

There are some people that change their filter every other oil change. What kind of miles did you have on the oil, what kind of filter? It might be okay just to leave it on for one more oil change.

For the most part believe filt. should be changed with every oil change, but unless you were over significantly tink I'd just wait and do oil and filter a little sooner than normal.

Bob

hmm, in CA we have to at least allow customers to inspect parts. if there is no core then they can take them, if there is a core or if they have to be disposted of properly then they can inspect them. we are required by the state to do it.

How long did it take him? If he has done many Mazda 3s, I wouldn't be surprised if he did it faster than you had thought he could.

I once brought Volvo to a quick oil change place for dead of winter oil change. They pulled air filter to try and sell me more services. But they jammed a screwdriver into the air flow sensor as they popped a hose and ruined it for a cost of $500. I sued them in small claims court but lost as it was too hard to prove. So no more quick oil change places. I use a synthetic oil where I can make sure oil changes are in warm weather. I would bet that some quick oil change places refill the Mobil 1 oil containers (with dino) and put them back on the shelf. From a waiting room you will never know. The business model for the quick oil changes places is $75 per customer so always pushing for more services than just an oil change.

It occurred to me this morning that the "tech" (I use that term loosely) may actually have been telling the truth. I had a oil change place change my oil filter on the Tundra without removing the shroud. Left a nice puddle of oil in the shroud, but hey - he did remove it and replace it with a new one. It is possible that it was actually done, I guess it depends on how much room there is to work.

You got to do what makes you feel comfortable. If you don't want to leave it on for another oil change interval, you can take AlreadyGone's advice and just shorten the next interval. You will lose some oil, but I doubt it will be the whole crankcase full. I honestly have never removed a filter without changing the oil, but Brianl703 seems to think it won't be a problem. Just make sure you have some top up oil handy, you are going to need to add some if it is just for what is left in the filter.

Be dammed if I wouldn't call the manager, or even better, find one of the partners of the LLC that owns that place (public record) and have a chat with them. They'd change the filter and give you a freebie OCI besides, I bet.

Not that you really want it. Why should you now, after taking it IN, and PAYING them to do it now be faced with doing it yourself anyway?

This stuff really #@$%!e$ me off..
rugerman.gif

To answer the oil loss question...

The only oil that should drain out when the filter is removed would be the small amount trapped in the oil galley above the filter. Several ounces at most would be my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back