Changing oil brands at 160k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98.5 Dodge with the Cummins. It has had about 160k with Rotella 15w-40 and WIX, Mopar, or NAPA filters. I have changed the oil twice with Fleetguard Stratapore filters since I have owned the truck, and I cannot take the Rotella smell anymore. Would there be any concerns with changing the oil brand to Valvoline Premium Blue or Delo at this mileage? Is there any special procedure to change over? Which would be the best choice? Am I making this waaay too complicated? Thanks guys!
cheers.gif

You're not going to hurt your engine by swapping brands, IMO.

I don't really know what smell you're referring to, but this is the U.S.A., and if you want something else, by gosh, go get it. I can't imagine a different brand will smell that much different though.

You'll miss the rotella smell after a while. By the way Amsoil AME smells pretty much the same as rotella. With a open crankcase breather its like truck cologne.

Has anyone experienced the "smell" with either of the oils I mentioned? Don't want to change for nothing.

From what I have read about Rotella in the Cummins is that Rotella has the strongest smell.

I find Esso diesel oils smell really strong for about a 100 klicks or so and then it pretty much goes away. I find when I use Delo as well that it is not as strong, but hnags around for a while.

You are right on about the smell. When I used Rotella in my '51 GMC last summer, I noticed a peculiar 'smell' from the engine compartment (It smelled like empty bottles of Rotella).

Using Valvoline VR1 20w50 now and the smell is gone....FWIW.

GL

I too have cummins with 60k on it. I have used rotella probably 75% of the time. I never smeeled anything different between rotella, dlevac, valvoline, or delo. You won't hurt anything changing though. I have heard this complaint before. I have also heard adding about 4 oz of marvel will kill the smell as well. I don't think 4oz of marvel mystery oil would hurt anything either.

Couldn't stand the smell of the factory fill in my Dodge. I switched to Dello, No smell. The factory fill is suposed to be Valvoline.

I picked up 3 gallons of the Premium Blue yesterday. I will make the change in 800 more miles, and let you guys know how it works out. Hope I'm not trading one smell for another. I have 4200 miles on this oil change, and I can still smell it when stopped with the windows rolled up and the air off. It is really getting old.

Not that it causes problems changing oil brands, but after so long with the same brand with good results, why change now?

I have no clue what this smell is you guys are refering to. I have a 5.9 Cummins Diesel that I use Rotella 15W40 in, and I really don't know what this smell is you're talking about. Is it the smell from the exhaust, or do you smell it only if you take off the oil filler cap and sniff in the oil filler tube???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back