Changing inner cv joint boot

Every kit I've ever used came with moly grease for the joints - either inner or outer. From a technical standpoint I can think of no reason not to use the typical CV axle grease (MOS2 fortified) that comes with boot kits or sold individually.

For your specific question, the Motul grease that you have posted the information should work well. They specifically state that it's made for universal joints and ball joints. The inner joint does not articulate anywhere near as severely as the outer joint so the stresses should be far reduced over the outer joint application. I personally would use a Molybdenum fortified grease but that's just my opinion.

Tripod joints take very specific and very expensive grease that is the reason it is not included with many boot kits. The Motul is not the correct grease.

All that said I do a lot of Tripods and looked for a long time for a suitable grease, after talking to Mola and Schaeffers I found a grease that works well and hold up long term in these joints. 219 SynForce Green NLGI 1, it contains a different moly that protects like MoS2 but does not clog the needles. NLGI 2 is not really suitable in cold temps.

Tripod joints take very specific and very expensive grease that is the reason it is not included with many boot kits. The Motul is not the correct grease.

All that said I do a lot of Tripods and looked for a long time for a suitable grease, after talking to Mola and Schaeffers I found a grease that works well and hold up long term in these joints. 219 SynForce Green NLGI 1, it contains a different moly that protects like MoS2 but does not clog the needles. NLGI 2 is not really suitable in cold temps.

What about Egypt's climate. The lowest temp had came over Egypt is about 8 Celsius (46.4 F), so i guess cold weather is not my issue or What do you think? My problem here is these type of greases you came up with are very difficult to find in my country, the best that i found is the Motul one. As temp. is more hotter than cold. So i guess NLGI 2 works fine or What do think? also to put in consideration in summer ambient temp reaches at 42~45 Celsius (107.6 ~ 113 F)

Is what I used on my Audi 80.

Is what I used on my Audi 80.
IIRC the Audi 80 uses a cross groove inner joint, very easy to replace and MoS2 grease is fine in those.
What about Egypt's climate. The lowest temp had came over Egypt is about 8 Celsius (46.4 F), so i guess cold weather is not my issue or What do you think? My problem here is these type of greases you came up with are very difficult to find in my country, the best that i found is the Motul one. As temp. is more hotter than cold. So i guess NLGI 2 works fine or What do think? also to put in consideration in summer ambient temp reaches at 42~45 Celsius (107.6 ~ 113 F)

The Toyota dealer has no OE grease? I have run Redline CV2 in them before without any issues until I used it on some inner joints that have a more extreme angle stock, the housings developed excessive wear. Go ahead and use the Motul, the worst thing that can happen is the joint prematurely wears and you need to replace it

IIRC the Audi 80 uses a cross groove inner joint, very easy to replace and MoS2 grease is fine in those.

The Toyota dealer has no OE grease? I have run Redline CV2 in them before without any issues until I used it on some inner joints that have a more extreme angle stock, the housings developed excessive wear. Go ahead and use the Motul, the worst thing that can happen is the joint prematurely wears and you need to replace it
What about Mannol EP-2 multi MoS2?
Here is the data sheet: https://www.mannol.de/create-pdf/530/en

Is this it? Would this be suitable for all CV joints?
219 SynForce Green Waterproof Extreme Pressure Grease (2-Pack) https://a.co/d/aX3fzb3

The Schaeffer's link now seemingly goes to an NLGI #2. Using their own search on their site doesn't bring up any products for "NLGI #1"

Amsoil offers an NLGI #1 .....?

Sure would be nice to stay with Amuhreecan sized tubes for "our" grease guns over here..... I see the GKN stuff is a euro size and needs a special gun (I'm being triggered with Euro bike water bottles and the resulting need for special bottle cages :D )

They do still make the 219 NLGI#1 but seem to only want to sell it 10 per case lots, this company will do singles. The Amsoil looks okay too.

@Trav do you use the fancy clippy thingies (technical term of course!) to lube each pod with a grease gun? If so, it kinda looks like 30mm -- or I've seen it spec'd as 29.95mm -- is the most common?

There's also a ~25mm and ~38mm IIRC...maybe more than that, too

I'm plaining to change inner boot on my Toyota which is tripod joint and the kit didn't come with grease so i searched on the web that moly grease is not good on tripod joint so i would like to know Can i use MOTUL TECH GREASE 300?. This grease is complex lithium grease and NLGI-2 grade
here is the data sheet: https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.n...ets/215/Tech_20Grease_20300_GB.pdf?1492016049

When I do a reboot for my self I powder coat the shaft use a new inner spider bearings and either clean (if still good) or replace the outer with a new joint which is usually a GKN on stuff I do mostly. I use new GKN thermoplastic boots and use 219 #1 on the inner and Redline CV2 on the outer. It cost me about $150 ea inc powder coating saving about $300 an axle so it is worth it.
IMG_0556.JPG

@Trav do you use the fancy clippy thingies (technical term of course!) to lube each pod with a grease gun? If so, it kinda looks like 30mm -- or I've seen it spec'd as 29.95mm -- is the most common?

There's also a ~25mm and ~38mm IIRC...maybe more than that, too
Do you mean to do the tripod bearings? If so, no I hand pack everything.

Reactions: D60
Back