Changing Climates, Change Oil Viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My 2007 Honda Fit has been getting Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W-20 ever since I've owned it, all year long.

I recently moved from Virginia to Los Angeles and won't be experiencing those seasonal fluctuations as much as before. On top of that, the car will see much more stop and go driving as well as hill climbing (I now live in a canyon... getting up the hill to home sees 1st gear for about a 1/4 mile or more).

I'm wondering if 5W-20 is still my go to?

Also, I've been having the oil tested at Blackstone about twice a year and everything has been grand so far with the PYB 5W-20 and Ultraguard filters with a 6500 - 8000 mile interval. Wondering if that interval should / will change? I keep track of the mileage interval, but, also take the maintenance minder's suggestions into account.

Thoughts?

Why not run it a normal OCI, or follow the MM [which ever comes first] in LA, and send it off for a report and go from there? You already have data on the engine and oil to compare it to.

You could keep using 5w20 and be fine. Or you could step up to a 30 or even 40 grade, and be fine. A little extra thickness in hotter temps won't hurt anything. Some will argue that it won't really help anything ...

Directly from my Subaru owners manual ...

" 5W-30 is recommended...

Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine."

I would run a brand name 10w30 and call it a day. If PYB works, stick with it.

Virginia to LA doesn't seem like a big change in climate. 5w20 should still be OK. Pay strict attention to your Maintenance Minder for the first couple of OCI's instead of shooting for a fixed mile target.

Thanks all!

Will be indeed sending the oil into Blackstone this go ro-round as the oil has seen the drive from Albuquerque to LA and then LA driving since March. Will also stick with 5W-20 for the next go 'round and see how that all plays out.

Originally Posted by andrewp1998
why not step up to a syn penn.? not much more with the 5 qrt jug.

Why not wait until he gets his UOA results and then if waranted give the synthetic recommendation?

Virginia to LA is probably a 10-20F jump in average temps. Does LA get down to 20-30F in the winter like VA ? I would be completely happy with 5w30 in LA.

I wouldn't change a thing as far as the oil goes. If your driving routine changes to more stop and go then your oci could be shortened.

Originally Posted by geeman789
You could keep using 5w20 and be fine. Or you could step up to a 30 or even 40 grade, and be fine. A little extra thickness in hotter temps won't hurt anything. Some will argue that it won't really help anything ...

Directly from my Subaru owners manual ...

" 5W-30 is recommended...

Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine."

I would run a brand name 10w30 and call it a day. If PYB works, stick with it.

+1. LA doesn't ever get cold enough to worry about a 10w.

Thanks all for the continued opinions.

Will run with what I've got until the MM tells me it's time to change (currently at 40%) and have Blackstone run the numbers. Will stick with PYB 5W-20 at that change interval. If the numbers come back and cause alarm, then we'll take it from there.

As for the 5 quart jug of synthetic... doesn't make sense for me as the Fit only takes 4 Qts and I've got no place to stash the extra.

And as for temps around here, this summer has been really mild. I doubt the car will see temps below 30 unless it finds itself on a roadtrip this fall / winter, which, is a distinct possibility.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back