Changing cell number when moving to a new state

I'm younger than you and even I know the exclusivity of 212.
I remember growing in in NJ and unsure of our area code or phone number but the phone had a plug square with 4 big pins and the local number was CHarter 7-6754. I made up the numbers but first two digits corresponded to a CH. I assume why keypads have letters?

A friend of mine who worked at NYNEX decades ago, might have been NYTEL then. Tells me they came up with two good ideas but could not get them approved. One was to assign everyone a phone number at birth they would keep for life. And second to give ever phone free voicemail. The latter would mean all calls were completed. No busy or not home. Charge for all calls. The expensive part of the call was in setting up the call in signaling system 7 not continuing the call once connected.

I switched about a year ago from my old number to my new location area code.

Kept track of all my two factor authorizations for about a month or two, switched the phone then went down the list and changed the numbers. Verified using email.

The phone company will also put forwarding and/or notification on your old number for awhile.

If you are serious about wanting a local number, it's worth the effort.
Would a text get forwarded?

I remember growing in in NJ and unsure of our area code or phone number but the phone had a plug square with 4 big pins and the local number was CHarter 7-6754. I made up the numbers but first two digits corresponded to a CH. I assume why keypads have letters?

The RJ11 jack wasn't introduced till about 1973, so prior to that they either hardwired the phone or used the 4-prong plug. RadioShack used to sell an adapter to go from 4-prong to RJ11.

And exchange names were common till some point (late 60s?) when they were phased out. In Manassas, VA, for example, EMpire-8 became 368. And old advertisements and newspapers show the EMpire-8 numbers.

I moved from Washington state (509 area code) to West Virginia (304 area code in 2003. I still have my 509-area code phone number. The best thing about it is that if a call comes in from a 509-area code, I know it is a scam call.

I have had a 716 number for 25 years. I keep it safe by porting it to google voice. Then wherever I am living, I just pick up a phone with a local area code, and use both.
I can make calls from either line, and both ring to the same phone.

I’d never change mine. Too many people to tell for one thing plus it’s been mine for so long I like messing with the people who text or call me asking if this number still belongs to Greg. Lol 😂. I’ve had the same number since my first cell phone in 2013. Same area code and first three digits as my dads number so that makes it cooler to me too haha. And me and him both have double 8’s and double 7s in our numbers too. Plus my area code is 540 and they are making a new area code for this area because they have issued so many 540 phone numbers that they are almost out of them. So they will be issuing 826 now and I definitely don’t want a 2 in my phone number lol. So there is no guarantee when I changed it I could ever get the area code back. I know several people who have moved and not changed it. Many of my coworkers have moved here from places like Florida and California etc and still have the same number. No point in changing it in my opinion.

When my parents switched to Verizon from US Cellular in 2006 my dad had to change his phone number because the computer at Verizon would not recognize his number for some reason and of course back then you could not figure out why. So he has the same area code but it no longer matches my moms first three digits. It’s a pain having to memorize a different number too I still remember his old number and one time had it on my mind and dialed it and a nice old lady answered and thought it was funny and said I’m not the only person who has called her asking for him. Haha 😂. Yes I knew my parents and sister phone numbers as a kid. It was best too. I remember the Chinese place here in town was so confused he had a new phone number but was the same person. They didn’t seem to understand so he had to create a new profile for them for their computer database. So I would say don’t change it as it’s hard for everyone.

I moved from NY to Delaware. My cell is still a 518 area code. I will forever be known as a New Yorker until I get a local number. Yet my phone is listed for many accounts using 2FA. A pain to even remember all the places I listed my cell number. Seems I should have two phones for a month with one old and one new.
Yes, Its been a long time for me now, but I did exactly as you typed.
Not a big deal at all, simple. Sign up with a new plan, get a new phone and a new number.
Cancel old number in a month or two.

My wife is from Brooklyn and had 718 for a few years when she moved to central Ohio. But she changed it because too many people ignored the number.

I wouldn’t change for fear of getting a number that gets tons of spam calls. My # is relatively quiet but I know others that get calls all day and wouldn’t want one of those.

Back