Changing cell number when moving to a new state

I moved from NY to Delaware. My cell is still a 518 area code. I will forever be known as a New Yorker until I get a local number. Yet my phone is listed for many accounts using 2FA. A pain to even remember all the places I listed my cell number. Seems I should have two phones for a month with one old and one new.

I'd keep it, just to throw people for a loop, but I'm that sort of person.

Get a google voice number and eventually port it/flip the numbers?

But I agree, I would not be changing my number if I moved, no big deal.

Keep it. What does it matter? My daughter-in-law has lived in Utah and Wyoming about as long as she did in Nevada. But she still has a Las Vegas area code. I know many like that.

We have one client who for whatever reason kept his old phone number from Morocco..... Morocco, Africa.

His number always looks like its certainly going to be a scammer, but it isn't. I have to always be on the lookout for it.

I wonder how much business this guy loses because potential customers don't realize it's a real number?

Another suggestion to keep it. Fewer and fewer people associate area codes with specific areas anymore. I mean, I remember when Ohio had (4) total for the entire state and I knew which was which (419 - NW, 513 - SW, 219 - NE, 614 - SE). Today, Ohio has (12). Ask someone under 30 years old what area code "212" is and they likely don't know.

Regarding the many 2FA setups I have as well, my wife and I have had the same mobile number for close to 20 years and I don't want to lose it. In fact, a few years ago, my employer offered to pay for my mobile service and I didn't want to carry (2) phones, so I ported my number to the employer. If anything were to change at my employer, I didn't want to even risk losing "my" number, so I moved it back to the family's VZW plan.

Last edited:
I kept my 585 number when I lived in NJ for a few years. I noticed that I was still paying NY taxes on the bill, despite having changed my billing address to NJ. Didn't do anything about it since the plan was to move back to NY after a few years anyway.

@Donald check that bill and see if changing to a DE area code is beneficial... I assume it would be since there is no sales tax in DE.

As the days go by, fewer and fewer people worry about area codes. I have 10 people on my work team, and 5 of them have area codes that aren't from the area. They all live here, but no reason to change old numbers.

And the reality is unless I have you in my contacts I'm not picking up anyways. Too many spam calls!

Another suggestion to keep it. Fewer and fewer people associate area codes with specific areas anymore. I mean, I remember when Ohio had (4) total for the entire state and I knew which was which (419 - NW, 513 - SW, 219 - NE, 614 - SE). Today, Ohio has (12). Ask someone under 30 years old what area code "212" is and they likely don't know.

I like explaining to people that Washington DC was so unimportant at one time that it didn't even warrant an area code with a "1" in the middle. (It got 202).

Back