Changed the transmission fluid in the Taurus

Oil change yesterday and transmission fluid change today. Dropped the pan and installed a new gasket and filter as well. It wasn’t a hard job, but it was time consuming.

I did run into one issue, one of the threads is stripped, there are 19 bolts so hopefully this won’t cause an issue.

I did check the transmission fluid a few times before purchasing the vehicle and it still had somewhat of a red hue on the dipstick and didn’t smell burnt. Upon draining the fluid it would appear it was in worse shape than the dipstick would suggest.

I drove around for a bit after the change and I can’t say I notice much of a difference. Hopefully we can squeeze a few good years out of her.

Oh, and yes I did clean out the pan and magnet.

Attachments

• 4C5106EB-1380-4544-A207-EE992FBA5045.jpeg
    4C5106EB-1380-4544-A207-EE992FBA5045.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 547A4CD0-3A48-4DAD-9765-981CCA45BA2E.jpeg
    547A4CD0-3A48-4DAD-9765-981CCA45BA2E.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 382D48F7-F432-485C-BCA7-AEC552BDFF01.jpeg
    382D48F7-F432-485C-BCA7-AEC552BDFF01.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 69AF639F-9448-4568-82B4-5CF5F4C9FB03.jpeg
    69AF639F-9448-4568-82B4-5CF5F4C9FB03.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 100
  • ACD61A98-D001-4D6D-94C9-59A06022474C.jpeg
    ACD61A98-D001-4D6D-94C9-59A06022474C.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 103
Not too bad with pan magnet. Seems like it's been changed before because the first time there was tons of fuzz on mine. Doesn't look like there's that much on your magnet. The threads stripping seems to be common. Just watch out for leaks from the pan. I think maybe that's how I fried my torque converter, fluid was low. I topped up a few times but eventually figured out one of the bolts was loose causing the leak. If it slams into gear the first time, that could be a clue that the fluid is low.

Looks like Hyundai SP-III after 30k miles! Wonder how long that stuff was in there.

Do you have enough of a lip on the pan to thread the hole for a slightly larger bolt?

Not too bad with pan magnet. Seems like it's been changed before because the first time there was tons of fuzz on mine. Doesn't look like there's that much on your magnet. The threads stripping seems to be common. Just watch out for leaks from the pan. I think maybe that's how I fried my torque converter, fluid was low. I topped up a few times but eventually figured out one of the bolts was loose causing the leak. If it slams into gear the first time, that could be a clue that the fluid is low.
Slamming from 1st to 2nd or from Park to Drive?

Looks like Hyundai SP-III after 30k miles! Wonder how long that stuff was in there.

Do you have enough of a lip on the pan to thread the hole for a slightly larger bolt?
I think so. Not sure how I would go about doing this, or what tools would be needed.

Good job. If interested, I can send you my M6x1 timesert kit to repair the stripped hole.
Thank you! I may take you up on that. I’d have to research how to use it though.

As long as the pan doesn’t leak I’ll leave it be until the next transmission fluid change.

Looks pretty gross, but ATF usually does in a pan.

For the stripped bolt, you can helicoil it. When I did my Jeep’s oil pan the front bolts stripped out super easy, my mechanic friend helicoiled them and they’ve been fine for 8 years now.

But I wouldn’t stress about it unless it starts seeping. It’s probably fine

Looks pretty gross, but ATF usually does in a pan.

For the stripped bolt, you can helicoil it. When I did my Jeep’s oil pan the front bolts stripped out super easy, my mechanic friend helicoiled them and they’ve been fine for 8 years now.

But I wouldn’t stress about it unless it starts seeping. It’s probably fine
That's what I am thinking. I checked for drips twice and so far so good. It has 19 bolts around the pan so hopefully it will hold without leaking.

Slamming from 1st to 2nd or from Park to Drive?
Made a loud clunking noise when going from park to drive. Also if you waited a little bit before putting it into drive, it wouldn't clunk as loud. Having the right amount of fluid stopped that.

Couple other little things that come to mind is the DPFE, idle air control valve and the fuel filter. I think I replaced the DPFE around 3 times. The idle air control valve gets dirty so you can just take it off and clean it. Fuel filter is under the car. Check the fuel tank straps too, one snapped off on me due to rust, I guess if you have no rust, should be fine.

My mom bought a new Gold 2000 Taurus new. It was a good car dependability wise. The only real issue was that it always used a qt of oil every 1500 miles like clockwork. It died when my neice totaled it.

My mom was 75 when she got the car. She drove for another 13 years. Every year during a visit, I always had her drive to our favorite breakfast place. She was a very competent driver even at 88 yo. Drove at the speed limit, always signaled her intentions and never tailgated over drivers. She had to quit driving when her knees and legs started to fail and couldn't brake safely. RIP Mom

I've got a NOS Motorcraft pan gasket and filter that I don't need anymore

You can have it

Don't sweat one broken bolt, it shouldn't leak

My 4F50N shifted best on Mobil 1 ATF and a bottle of LGR

Strangely I didn't like how it behaved on Motorcraft or Castrol Mercon V

Weird...

I've got a NOS Motorcraft pan gasket and filter that I don't need anymore

You can have it

Don't sweat one broken bolt, it shouldn't leak

My 4F50N shifted best on Mobil 1 ATF and a bottle of LGR

Strangely I didn't like how it behaved on Motorcraft or Castrol Mercon V

Weird...
That’s very considerate of you. I plan on changing it again in a year or two. If it lasts that long.

Back