Changed the TP in my MG coolant bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ralph,
This weekend I installed the sintered brass filter on the return line and changed the TP again too. It did not look very dirty this time. The bubbled epoxy is no worse than when I did the first TP change a couple weeks ago. I suspect it was the Water Wetter in the old coolant that caused the reaction. Sure wish I had not used that. But the filter housing still gets hot so it must be working OK. Thanks much. If I could find a way to install MGs on my Grand Caravan, I would do it on a heartbeat. I know the coolant in it is filthy. I can see it in the overlow bottle. But, no room under the hood.
frown.gif

Neal

Do you have a rear heater in your Caravan? I installed a Trasko filter between the two lines under the van below where the passenger sits. I just changed the element after about a year. It heats up and I still get good rear heat.

Quote:

Do you have a rear heater in your Caravan? I installed a Trasko filter between the two lines under the van below where the passenger sits. I just changed the element after about a year. It heats up and I still get good rear heat.

Yes, it has rear heat and A/C. I'll check into that. Thanks.

On my Caravan, I installed a Trasko on a remote oil filter mount I got from Summit Racing in the automatic transmission fluid cooler line. It is mounted just in front of the driver's side front wheel. That seems to work well.

I attached a Motorguard to a sandwich adapter for the engine oil and just laid it on top of the engine towards the driver's side. At first I attached it to something solid with ties, but I eventually decided it wasn't necessary to do so. It has been there for probably 2 years without a problem.

I wish there was a way I could filter the power steering fluid without too much difficulty, but haven't been able to find one.

A Magnefine is great for the power steering. The return line should be just clamped (it may be a crimped clamp ..but still it's a low pressure hose).

So, what is being caught by coolant filters?

I don't see offhand how dirt could be getting into the system.

Maybe rust, metal scaling, ...?

Is your La Forge visor on the blink
confused.gif

Whatever the material ..there can be no doubt that it was filtered.

I think it "shorted out" due to sensory overload when I glanced at the filter pics.
smile.gif

I'm just curious about the make up of the "dirt", but bottom line that c-rap is flowing through the impeller and packing the radiator core if not filtered out.

Quote:

So, what is being caught by coolant filters?

I don't see offhand how dirt could be getting into the system.

Maybe rust, metal scaling, ...?

I am suspicious it is coming in from the combustion chamber through the head gasket to the coolant. It doesn't mean the head gasket is bad. All cylinder heads constantly flex while the engine is running and no head gasket seals well enough to stop some atoms or molecules from wiggling through with help from cylinder pressures.

Even though computer hard drives are sealed, studies have shown that computers that are in use in a smoky environment have a significantly shorter life for their hard drives. I also believe that "smoke" from combustion makes its way through the head gasket seal into the coolant.

Quote:

I think it "shorted out" due to sensory overload when I glanced at the filter pics.
smile.gif

I'm just curious about the make up of the "dirt", but bottom line that c-rap is flowing through the impeller and packing the radiator core if not filtered out.

I haven't really paid too much attention to coolant content ..but I sure see enough crude in my overflow tank ..and junk forming on my OEM radiator tubes (even with maintenance schedules being adhered to). I'm sure that there's non-adhering scale and impeller deterioration from cavitation (I think that any impeller experiences this - as well as other surfaces). There's also effects of hot spots where certain formations occur when a bubble is formed. I'm sure that there are inhibitors to reduce these reactions, but I doubt that they're eliminated.

Again, I'm not well versed on coolant (I've focused on stuff that interests me more) ..but can probably apply some of my limited knowledge in boilers and how conditions effect tube life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back