changed over to Amsoil 0w30 today

Status
Not open for further replies.
well after having to listening to ticking upon start up of my Ranger for little while now, this convinced me to try out Amsoil's Series 2000 0w30 oil. I didn't feel the need to do an Auto-Rx treatment prior to Amsoil because after the Auto-Rx treatment, I was running the same M1 for 5K miles and a Bosch Premuim Filter. I was running M1 5w30 SS oil to be more specific. Then I went to straight over to Amsoil. I am very impressed of how the tick is gone, the engine is quiter, and just how clean Amsoil is compared to M1, even when new. I am running a Federated filter which they are made by Hastings, so for $4.29 i thought it was a pretty good filter. My distributor for my detailing supplies also sells Amsoil, this is how I got it. He recommended the Federated Filter along with Amsoil. Said I could use the SD filter that Amsoil provides but he thought it was just as good or close to anyway. So I figured what the heck and go for it. No leaks, no little mystery sounds coming from the engine. I give Amsoil's 0w30
cool.gif
cool.gif

I am thinking of trying Amsoil 0W30 for the winter, and noticed your post. I have a ticking issue as well. You give it two smileys? On what scale?
PM or email me when you do a UOA on it.
Thanks!

i use that samething. Amsoil 0w30, i put it in my 1999 Chevy tracker 2.0ltr. i use it all year around. i have had very good cold starting results and no need to add any oil between changes all year around. i also use their series 2000 gear oil and ATF fluid, i even use their oil for my transfer case. i changed all of them fluids at the sametime. and afterwards i noticed it was easier to engage my 4x4 system. and it seemed as if the tracker would drift further and smoother downhill..
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rob-the-oil-nut:
Thanks!

I have been running the 0W for 2 1/2 years now in one engine(ran the 10W for three years prior to that). All annual oil changes with a filter at 6 months. Basically no difference in the wear metals, TBN is higher after the year with the 0W. About 8-10,000 miles in the year OCI.

As noted by several who post on this board, the 0W is probably better suited for longer drains then the 10W but the ability to protect seems to be about the same for shorter drains. Climate is +10F in winter to 100 F in summer.

IMO less expensive to run the 10W and change out a quart half way through or use the #132 and LC then pay the $2/quart diff for 5 quarts of the 0W.

quote:

Originally posted by rob-the-oil-nut:
I am thinking of trying Amsoil 0W30 for the winter, and noticed your post. I have a ticking issue as well. You give it two smileys? On what scale?
Thanks!

I give it 2 smileys for a **** good oil!!
grin.gif
Ranger seems to totally agreeing with it and if it's happy I'm happy, LOL!

What's a UOA????? I like oil but I'm not a expert, YET

BTW, I had Blackstone labs sent me one of there sample kits for analysis. I'm gonna have them test my M1 and also have them do a TBN test on it as well. Will post results when they come in,,,,,,,AR

[ July 29, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Airborne Ranger ]

I might try this oil again. I like the specs of it. My engine should be very clean from 3Rx treatments and my results should be much better this time around.

Classic experimental error, AR--you changed two variables concurrently instead of controlling for one.

The Bosch is a fairly restrictive filter. There is a distinct and real possibility that the ticking was due to reduced oil flow, and not the oil at all. Maybe, maybe not.

Fresh oil typical makes an engine seem quieter at first, if the viscosity is not changed significantly. So, we'll see...

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Classic experimental error, AR--you changed two variables concurrently instead of controlling for one.

Well Sorry If I didn't know????? Just learning something, that's all
confused.gif

[ July 30, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Airborne Ranger ]

After reading Bob's oil filter experiment thread, which BTW is a dam good thread, go with like a Amsoil filter and leave the oil??

I'd run the oil too. It hasn't been as consistant but it does show great results at times. If your looking for a great extended drain oil try Amsoil Series 3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back