Changed from Yamalube to Shell Rotella T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put 400km on an oil change that was done on my Yamaha WR250F dirt bike prior to buying it. I wasn't beating on the bike, just trail riding and mostly cruising on FSR. The oil was Yamalube 20w-50.

I just drained this stuff and changed it out for SRT 15W-40.

The stuff that drained out was like water...Just watching it fly out of the frame, I'm guessing it sheared to a light 30w. The clutch action was horrible (dry and crunchy feel) with that Yamalube and I couldn't ever find neutral with my boots on.

The new impression with the Shell Rotella is that it is thicker at the lower temps here now (30F at night to 60F during day) but I can feel the oil is actually protecting the engine and transmission by the smoother action.

Overall first impression = love this stuff.

Would 5w-40 have similar protection with shear protection of the 15w or would I have to change it out every couple hours?

Last but not least I want to say thanks to Sunruh for his recommendation and all of you who participate and make this community an educational resource.

Last edited:
yamalube has no friction modifiers

do you have a wet clutch ?

If so any 20-50 weight without friction modifiers will do you

just look at the oil if it states energy conservation -- avoid it

if not you are good to go[size:11pt][/size]

i noticed the same thing in my old yz250f, i was using honda gn4 10w40 witch works well in the quad and the shifting was notchy and the valve train was a little noisy. switched to rotella 15w40 and walla buttery smooth shifts and no noise to speak of, oh and it wont hurt the wet clutch either

I have a letter from Shell stating their Rotella T 15w-40 is wet clutch safe.

I've been using it my yamaha big bear for years. No slippage. Very satisfied with it.

RL

Originally Posted By: Nathan
I put 400km on an oil change that was done on my Yamaha WR250F dirt bike prior to buying it. I wasn't beating on the bike, just trail riding and mostly cruising on FSR. The oil was Yamalube 20w-50.

I just drained this stuff and changed it out for SRT 15W-40.

The stuff that drained out was like water...Just watching it fly out of the frame, I'm guessing it sheared to a light 30w. The clutch action was horrible (dry and crunchy feel) with that Yamalube and I couldn't ever find neutral with my boots on.

The new impression with the Shell Rotella is that it is thicker at the lower temps here now (30F at night to 60F during day) but I can feel the oil is actually protecting the engine and transmission by the smoother action.

Overall first impression = love this stuff.

Would 5w-40 have similar protection with shear protection of the 15w or would I have to change it out every couple hours?

Last but not least I want to say thanks to Sunruh for his recommendation and all of you who participate and make this community an educational resource.

I would stick to the 15w-40 NO DOUBT.

I had a drz 250 that i tried it in worked great and that little bike got really hot... engine ran quieter and better with the rotella, As for the wet clutch thing if you read the back of the newer jugs they are now JASO - MA cert so happy wet clutch
smile.gif

I also run it in the tranny on my KTM 2stroke, the magnetic drain plug got alot less fuzzy with the rotella, and works just as good as gear saver,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back