Change the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to change the air filter on my wife's CR-V (about 10k miles on the filter), and noticed it is surprisingly clean. It is an inexpensive STP filter.

Should I change the filter? I am a bit concerned that the filtering is sub-par due to the noted cleanliness.
The replacement is a Purolator.

What does the Owner's manual say? I think 10K should be early in the life of an air filter. How well did it fit? A good fitting air cleaner may be one of the most important things.

Haven't checked the owner's manual yet. I usually change the filters annually, but we put more miles than usual on the CR-V over the past 8 months.

Yeah, could be less junk due to winter. The filter fits very snug, and the airbox appears to be in good shape.

I did notice that the oil looked pretty dirty this time around (synthetic with a bit under 10k miles on it).
The filter is probably fine, so I will just wait and change the it in the fall.

Leave it in. I keep comparing the current filter to a new one for element color, condition, and fit. Once I feel its not meeting any of those criteria, I change it out.

Don't change it unless you think it's inferior in quality. A dirty filter is more efficient at removing dirt than a clean one. Contrary to popular belief, a dirty air filter does not let more contaminants into the engine.

Well...efficiency is how much dirt gets trapped, not how well the filter meets ALL the engine's needs. As labman says, air flow is seriously hindered. Plus, when very dirty, dirt works it way through the holes and goes through the media.

10k miles is nothing unless you're in an extremely dusty climate. Dry conditions after the snowy roads were sanded and salted can be very dusty.

I'd leave it. I have a filter that most would say looks dirty but the restriction gauge has not moved off the bottom. If you look between the pleats you can see dirt and its kind of brown.

Looking at a filter says little. The dirtier it gets, the better it filters. Eventually it would reduce power at high rpm. If the gaskets are bad, it could begin sucking around them, but not through the element.

This filter did not "look" dirty, but was pulling 25" of restriction
stacks_image_224_1.jpg

stacks_image_216_1.jpg

You can see that it was a lousy filter that started with too much restriction in its paper, it managed to pull dust around its seals. See where I've wiped a part on the inside with my finger. It had 1 year and 12,000 miles on it.

stacks_image_227_1.jpg

I changed it over to a PowerCore
stacks_image_242_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: widman
Looking at a filter says little. The dirtier it gets, the better it filters. Eventually it would reduce power at high rpm. If the gaskets are bad, it could begin sucking around them, but not through the element.

This filter did not "look" dirty, but was pulling 25" of restriction
stacks_image_224_1.jpg

stacks_image_216_1.jpg

You can see that it was a lousy filter that started with too much restriction in its paper, it managed to pull dust around its seals. See where I've wiped a part on the inside with my finger. It had 1 year and 12,000 miles on it.

stacks_image_227_1.jpg

I changed it over to a PowerCore
stacks_image_242_1.jpg

Great argument for a restriction gauge. Just got one for each of my vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back