Change or wait?

Time on my hands right now, so pondering...oil is 10 months old, due to remote work only a couple hundred miles per month last August through this February. Then about 5k miles in last few months. Toyota Corolla says 10k or one year oil changes. From August-February usually one long drive per week into work (65 or so miles highway roundtrip). Otherwise, maybe a trip or two to the grocery store. Since February, normal 65-70 mile daily commute, roundtrip. Have 6500 miles on it. Do I change soon at 7000-7500 or wait 12 months for 8-9k. Last change was Toyota synthetic oil, Toyota filter.

Aside from extra time on my hands right now, not sure why I'm asking except for entertainment value. Looking forward to conflicting opinions.

That engine isn't DI or turbocharged so I'd wait unless you're bored and feel like changing it.

A turbocharger would almost make it tolerable to drive 🤣🤣🤣 It's the least fun car I've owned, but it gets from A to B efficiently, albeit boringly.

A turbocharger would almost make it tolerable to drive 🤣🤣🤣 It's the least fun car I've owned, but it gets from A to B efficiently, albeit boringly.
Drive a Prius and your Corolla will feel like a rocket ship! 🙃 Not even kidding. Wife and I had a Corolla as a rental in CA and drove it all over the place and we couldn't get over just how much more power it had.

Time on my hands right now, so pondering...oil is 10 months old, due to remote work only a couple hundred miles per month last August through this February. Then about 5k miles in last few months. Toyota Corolla says 10k or one year oil changes. From August-February usually one long drive per week into work (65 or so miles highway roundtrip). Otherwise, maybe a trip or two to the grocery store. Since February, normal 65-70 mile daily commute, roundtrip. Have 6500 miles on it. Do I change soon at 7000-7500 or wait 12 months for 8-9k. Last change was Toyota synthetic oil, Toyota filter.

Aside from extra time on my hands right now, not sure why I'm asking except for entertainment value. Looking forward to conflicting opinions.
So how does any oil know when 12 months are up? Does the oil magically delete the TBN at the end of 12 months? I change by mileage and **** the calendar. You're running a good synthetic. Do you or do you not have confidence in your choice of oil/filter?

If I were using the recommended 10K mile interval I'd wait. I use conventional 10w40 and change it every 5K regardless of elapsed time. Been doing it that way for at least 20 years with no problems. Most of my cars get 5K in less than 6 months but one of them often goes a few years between changes.

Why would you want to delay beyond the 12 month recommendation? What issue are you addressing by going beyond the recommended time?
If you don’t have a really good reason not to, follow the recommendation. Only you can decide this.
If it was my car, I’d change it at the 12 month mark. Very little upside for going longer. Big downside if an extended OCI goes wrong.

Why would you want to delay beyond the 12 month recommendation? What issue are you addressing by going beyond the recommended time?
If you don’t have a really good reason not to, follow the recommendation. Only you can decide this.
If it was my car, I’d change it at the 12 month mark. Very little upside for going longer. Big downside if an extended OCI goes wrong.

When did I say I was waiting beyond 12 months? In fact, I said the opposite.

"Do I change soon at 7000-7500 or wait 12 months for 8-9k"

When did I say I was waiting beyond 12 months? In fact, I said the opposite.

"Do I change soon at 7000-7500 or wait 12 months for 8-9k"

Sorry, I misunderstood. In that case, unless you anticipate a change in your schedule at the 12 month mark where you may not be able to get'er done, I'd wait.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

If I read your post right, you are well under 1 year since the last service and most of your drives on this interval (regardless of frequency) have been longer highway runs well into operating temperature range. This does not sound like severe service to me. I would wait.

Sorry, I misunderstood. In that case, unless you anticipate a change in your schedule at the 12 month mark where you may not be able to get'er done, I'd wait.

Sorry for misunderstanding.
I have unlimited forgiveness on Internet forums. But I'll need you to send me $10 electronically. I accept multiple forms of payment. Otherwise, you'll have to lose sleep over my lack of forgiveness. Can your conscience take it?

I wonder if moderators will realize I'm being silly? I don't want your money, my forgiveness is free. Anyone else need forgiveness for internet forum transgressions?

Back on topic... I'm honestly a little shocked at how many wait for 12 monthers there are. I'm leaning toward a 7500 change in a week and a half when I'm visiting family and have a place to do it. We'll see if I do that or wait until July and just let someone else do it while I sit in the air conditioned waiting area watching HGTV.

I have unlimited forgiveness on Internet forums. But I'll need you to send me $10 electronically. I accept multiple forms of payment. Otherwise, you'll have to lose sleep over my lack of forgiveness. Can you conscience take it?

I wonder if moderators will realize I'm being silly? I don't want your money, my forgiveness is free. Anyone else need forgiveness for internet forum transgressions?

Back on topic... I'm honestly a little shocked at how many wait for 12 monthers there are. I'm leaving toward a 7500 change in a week and a half when I'm visiting family and have a place to do it. We'll see if I do that or wait until July and just let someone else do it while I sit in the air conditioned waiting area watching HGTV.

I had no problem waiting on my 99 Grand Marquis. It got 5-6k miles/year so I'd do an oil change usually in the fall. Only because we got the car in the fall so each year worked out to end in September.

Back