Kia Engine dies due to lack of oil changes

Basically, the guy is a really dumb POS. and Hyundai has some serious problems, I wonder if these issues have been addressed? (with the engines) Everything about this situation is bad.

Basically, the guy is a really dumb POS. and Hyundai has some serious problems, I wonder if these issues have been addressed? (with the engines) Everything about this situation is bad.
How is this guy a POS? He didn’t scam KIA. Kia is the one who ultimately decided to replace the engine for whatever reason.
The amount of name calling and disrespect for others on this site and others, is truly out of control recently.

Figured I would share a quick story ya'll may find entertaining.
Last February I was chatting with a coworker about cars. He mentioned he had not done an oil change in his Kia Soul 2.0 in 15k or so miles. I asked why and said he was broke and dident have time. So I offered him to come over, browse my oil stash and we can knock it out for free. Bring a filter or we can just do a dump and fill, either is better than his current situation. Never took me up on the offer so I figured he got an oil change. At this point he was around 48k miles.
Last night on the phone I casually mentioned his Kia and lack of interest of taking care of it. He said, "its in the shop getting a new motor under warranty".
So basically, he said he went just over 20k on that oil change and only two more oil changes since then. At 96k his engine locked up and kia will be replacing it under their powertrain warranty.
I freak when I go 3001 miles haha:D

How is this guy a POS? He didn’t scam KIA. Kia is the one who ultimately decided to replace the engine for whatever reason.
The amount of name calling and disrespect for others on this site and others, is truly out of control recently.
Go ahead and approve of people doing sketchy things. It says a lot about you. As an ex truck driver, I thought three initials were pretty tame.
I've seen people at the dealership angry and telling us what kind of crap their vehicle is, then we figure out what kind of abuse they were putting their vehicle through. Not changing your oil should automatically get serious disapproval on this website. Oil is cheap. Sorry if I hurt your feelings or made your ears burn.

He’s not a POS, but he needs to buy a lottery ticket! i know I would never get that lucky. Hopefully the guy has learned to let the OP help him take care of the new engine a little better.

Go ahead and approve of people doing sketchy things. It says a lot about you. As an ex truck driver, I thought three initials were pretty tame.
I've seen people at the dealership angry and telling us what kind of crap their vehicle is, then we figure out what kind of abuse they were putting their vehicle through. Not changing your oil should automatically get serious disapproval on this website. Oil is cheap. Sorry if I hurt your feelings or made your ears burn.

Again, how is this guy a POS? Guy had an engine issue, took it to the dealer, and the manufacturer approved the engine replacement. From what we were told, it seemed like a very straight forward, non confrontational event. I don’t see how the guy scammed KIA, if anything he got lucky.

Not changing your oil doesn’t automatically label someone as a POS.

who wants to go through the hassle of waiting for an engine replacement, and not knowning if they installed everything correctly. My local kia dealership is horrible, I want nothing to do with them. Go to quick lube for 19.99 and be done with it.
Here’s your sign

Again, how is this guy a POS? Guy had an engine issue, took it to the dealer, and the manufacturer approved the engine replacement. From what we were told, it seemed like a very straight forward, non confrontational event. I don’t see how the guy scammed KIA, if anything he got lucky.

Not changing your oil doesn’t automatically label someone as a POS.
Agree, They make a profit and they will tear down the old engine for wear analysis

They better be thankful they got a new engine out of it. Good on Kia for stepping up, in this case I don’t believe it was deserved. Having said that it’s a shame they still can’t get their engines right. The 2.0 is still having major issues even now.

The engines are not substandard but we'll agree to disagree. I do believe the story because i've witnessed it first hand and posted the story a year or two ago.
People can buy them cheap, not change the oil because they "don't have the time" and then get a new engine. It's preposterous.
Here it is...

View attachment 64444
View attachment 64445View attachment 64446View attachment 64447View attachment 64448View attachment 64449
View attachment 64450
I won't really agree with them not being "substandard" and we have a 2013 in the driveway with 65k on it. But I agree that Hyundai and Kia have replaced a ton of engines despite being beyond warranty or neglected. I think they messed up so bad with this engine and the attempt at hiding the issue and blaming it on debris at the Alabama plant (proved false when engines kept failing) that they pretty well have to cover them no matter what. Some definitely failed because of running low on oil because they are prone to oil usage and people don't think they need to check that these days. Ours has never been run low and goes less than 3k miles between changes but it is pretty noisy.

We have a 10 hour round trip coming up and I'll be getting a good inspection on my 84 Oldsmobile because between lack of comfort and the possibility of engine seizing up I don't want to drive it that far. Rental vehicles are hard to come by these days in our area so I'd rather a vehicle that might have an issue but can be fixed on the side of the road.

Based on the warranty I don't think it makes sense to get rid of the sonata... but it only gets driven locally.

I had a 19’ Elantra Friday come back to us with red oil lamp light on. Would come on while driving, then go off. Just had oil change done at Valvoline place; wrong filter on car and 1.5 quarts OVER FILLED! Did oil change using KIA/HYUNDAI OEM filter and 5w30 oil. All is good now.

Our Peugeots ( diesel CR with urea) have 30 and 50 k km service intervals, and they work as they should, now with over 230k km. It's not unthinkable nowadays.

I see tons of KIA's on the road. Maybe the good warranty work and dealership service keeps people coming back to buy them. I have never owned a KIA and always wondered why people would buy one. Every time I try to get something done at a dealership that I feel should be covered by warranty I get hosed. Maybe I will buy a KIA next time.

He was negligent or lazy and got lucky with Kia. That doesn't make him a scammer.
Kia had he opportunity to say "No oil changes = no engine change".
Doesn't sit right with me though.

Back