Change? 1 Year and Only 2k Miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! First let me say I stumbled upon this site about a month ago while researching some oil choices. And it is fantastic!

So, for my first post, I figured I’d ask you all a question
laugh.gif

I have a 2007 Fusion with the 3.0L, 30K miles. My current fill is M1 5w20EP with an Amsoil Ea filter. I have had this oil in for almost exactly one year, but fewer than 2K miles. The car is driven at least once a month for 20-25 miles to warm it up and keep a good charge in the battery. What I am wondering is, should I go ahead and change the oil and filter, or will it be ok to keep it in longer? I don’t anticipate many miles on it within the next 6 months, but after that it will be a daily driver again. The previous fill/filter combo was the same, and over about an 8 month period I put just a hair under 8K miles on it.

I tried to pull a sample with a vampire pump from work, but there must be a baffle in the oil pan as I could not get the tube into the crankcase. I do plan on doing a UOA when I change it out. I like the M1 EP so far, but for the next change I have been contemplating possibly using M1 0w20, or maybe a Pennzoil product. I have a couple of Ford Racing FL820S filters lined up for the next few oil changes.

So what is the collective wisdom? Should it be changed out after a year, or will I be fine pushing it a little longer, like 6 months? I have read that the Duratec’s are pretty easy on oil, so hopefully that will play to my advantage.
Thanks!

The is no concensus on miles vs time. Many people get freaked out at the one year mark even with low miles.

Me personally? I'd leave it in for another year. Extended performance synthetic with only 2k miles on it has plenty of life left in it. I'd max out the mileage at 8k so if you put more than 6k on in the next year I'd dump it.

Just my opinion, of course. But it's based on several UOA's of oils in cars driven very little miles per year that look fine. They're out there, just do a search.

Greetings, dudes! I'm a new inductee at this g-r-e-a-t Forum!
I'm 62, and NOT with a lot of savvy, but I read Bob's "1O1-1O9 Lessons" on motor oil and, if I got it right, both miles and time are issues to consider when thinking about an oil change
The reson being that oil does "deteriorate" even on a parked car that isn't even started. If you need to find out more on this, I suggest you read Bob's Lessons. Good luck!

Oil aside, I'm not sure a half-hour drive once a month is good enough to keep the battery charged. You may want to consider trickle charging the battery every few months to keep the battery in top condition.

my UOA on a car which gets started once a week and goes on a 50 mile drive were excellent.
Plenty of TBN left. I would run it another year

Steve

As long as the oil has been brought up to temp and given enough time to burn off moisture and excess fuel it should be fine. From what you've written you've been doing just that. I think you'll be fine for another 6 months. JMO

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I would never leave any oil in my crankase for over one year!

Well, at least give us a reason!

If time was so critical, why do manufacturers start warranties (and maintenance schedules) upon sale?

I bought a new 2004 Mach 1 from a friend's dealership. besides getting the X-plan price, Ford was offering a $3,000 rebate on '04s and $4,000 on '03s. We searched the computer database and found an Azure Blue 2003 Mach 1 at Galpin Motors. The computer information included the manufacturing and dealer delivery dates. That car had been sitting on Galpin's lot for over 16 months.

Sixteen months of what is the toughest use for an engine. Start it up. Move it over three rows. Wait a week. Take it for a five minute test drive. Four days later, move it 35 feet. Then a 4 minute test drive with some idiot flooring it off the lot....repeat for sixteen months.

After sixteen months, sell it (Not to me!) and tell the new owner his first oil change comes in six months or six thousand miles. Let's see that takes us out to 22 months from dealer delivery.....

Synthetic oil...full warm up every time (25 miles)...very low mileage... TWO full years, easy, easy, easy!

Note: this was exactly the same routine I had for managing my elderly parents vehicles for years, right down to the M1. Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back