Champ PH48 cut open

JTK

I just did an oil change on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic 5.7L hemi. @ ~25500mi This Champ PH48 oil filter was in use for 5000 miles along with Supertech synthetic 5w30 and a bottle of Lubeguard biotech. I know we've talked about it a lot here, but good grief that oil filter placement is not fun on 5.7L powered Ram 1500s. I've tried bags, rags, etc. I make a mess every time. For me laying on my back and doing a reach-around, I can't see that oil udder contraption helping me much either for this..

To me it doesn't look bad for a ~$3 filter. There is some uneven pleat spacing right around where the media is crimped/glued together. I can't find any rips or tears in the media and can't easily pull the fiber end caps or media apart without totally mangling it. I'd use this filter again.

Zw8YMdkl.jpg

PQbQ2qol.jpg

bUCWes1l.jpg

TJC2jqCl.jpg

QBig29Kl.jpg

Why? Seriously, my work used thousands upon thousands of this exact filter on all HEMI powered vehicles in our fleet for 4-5k OCI’s with never a issue.
Peace of mind. Same reason everyone buys something a little nicer/more premium.

I bet a $1.50 bulk filter would have done the same for your fleet...so why not go even cheaper?

OP: filter did good I say. What went back in and on?

Thank You sir

I had bought a case of 12 of these Champ PH48's, so on went another one and in went another round of Supertech synth 5w30 and... gasp.... a bottle of Liqui Moly MoS2. I still have four 10oz bottles of MoS2 and 4 bottles of Lubeguard biotech on hand. I've been alternating them with every ~5K mile oil change. When they're out, they're out. LOL

In regards to why not use a more expensive filter? I can't stand buying oil filters from my local napa or carquest and that's all I have in town. A napa gold is like $8 or more and and I've not been overly impressed with them the past few years when I cut them open. Sure they've got metal end caps and such, but I don't see anything special with them. Who knows if they do your engine any better than a $3 champ, supertech, etc.

JTK: glad you said it as tyman wasn’t getting my point

Oh well, blow your money if you want. I’ll save some money where I can

Reactions: JTK
Peace of mind. Same reason everyone buys something a little nicer/more premium.

I bet a $1.50 bulk filter would have done the same for your fleet...so why not go even cheaper?

Your point of view makes 0 or zero sense. If a fleet vehicle using a $1 filter and no issues stick with it. It’s just that simple

Your point of view makes 0 or zero sense. If a fleet vehicle using a $1 filter and no issues stick with it. It’s just that simple
No, we get your point. But this also isn't Penny Pincher's Anonymous. And you also just reiterated what my point was with your post. lol

I've never had the pleasure of interacting with a 5.7 O/F, but going out on a limb here, Instead of plastic rags & bags, would tin foil help?

I've never had the pleasure of interacting with a 5.7 O/F, but going out on a limb here, Instead of plastic rags & bags, would tin foil help?

Maybe for making a foil hat, for buying a Ram in the first place.

LOL! Kidding. I love my Ram 1500. It's the first vehicle I've ever owned twice. Had a 2017 pentastar / quad cab prior.

I see his point Adam.
Filter did its job but if you are new to cheap filters and it causes worriment why not pay a bit extra to avoid that. We all should use the cheapest oil we can find in spec but most don't.

First time I used a cheaper filter I kept crawling under the car to see if it leaked. After that top tier for me on most things. To each his own.

Glad it held up, but I never liked Ecores vs. a std Champ jobber.
#1 made my silverado 4.3L engine run noisy.
From a design standpoint, #2 the larger diameter center tube takes up space for media - so it will have less filter area
all else being equal.
#2 the plastic cages had been molded with sharp and brittle edges and have caused media tearing
and some of these cage parts could be pumped into the engine. I had read Champ redesigned the cages.
Are these sharp cages on the one cut here?
just my 2 pennies.

- Ken

Per Delco the nylon cage is cleaner, I like that and the combo valve. Nothing like steel particles shedding on the clean side, which they will do initially with oil flow. This bypass valve isolates the incoming oil from the dirty side, so in any position not going to swirl dirt through the bypass. Almost as good as block bypass. Like to see bubble point tests on some.

Reactions: JTK
We brought back an oldie thead here!

Funny because I Just removed and cut open another Champ PH48 today off my 2019 Ram classic hemi. OCI interval at 35350, so about 5200mi on the oil and filter. The Champ looked good to go. I wouldn't have a problem doing 7500mi OCIs with this filter, but I'll stick with my 5-6K miles. Oil life monitor still levels out to 50% oil life remaining w/ ~5K on the oil.

In went the fancy new Supertech 20000mi synthetic 5w30. I mail ordered some 5qt jugs of it.

Back