Champ PH2835XL sloppy glue application

I finally won the RockAuto shipping warehouse lottery and ordered a couple of these filters for a relative's 2006 Toyota Sienna with the 3.3 V6.

When they arrived, I did a quick inspection and saw this nice blob of potting material inside the center tube of one of them. It stands out roughly 1/4 inch. I prodded it with a screwdriver and it seems like it's solidly attached. What say you, BITOG? Would you trust it?

I also see this filter has a different construction than the recent PH2835XL C&P thread here. It's a fast-paced world in the oil filter business!

champ1.jpg

champ2.jpg

champ3.jpg

champ4.jpg

I would probably try to break off that piece of glue and then use the filter. But I am more adventurous than most.

I wonder if rockauto will pay for shipping it back, or contact them, they might just refund you and tell you to keep the filter.

No. On the clean side of filter, definite no go, imo. If part of blob breaks loose, being generous, wouldn't be a good thing. Looks like potting from end cap.

Curious if topic XL has black nitrile or orange silicone adbv? Should be the latter, but seen several recent RA purchased XL anecdotes posted with black.

Last edited:
I'd return that one if you don't want to mess with it or try to remove it if they won't take it back. No sense in dealing with it really. If you clean it up & it looks good then I'd say it's just fine.

Send them the pictures. They will send you a new one and tell you to keep that one. I had 2 out of 4 Motorcraft spark plugs that arrived damaged. They replaced them no problem and didn't want the damaged ones returned.

No. On the clean side of filter, definite no go, imo. If part of blob breaks loose, being generous, wouldn't be a good thing. Looks like potting from end cap.

Curious if topic XL has black nitrile or orange silicone adbv? Should be the latter, but seen several recent RA purchased XL anecdotes posted with black.
Orange silicone on this one.

The black o ring was my first question as well as the one's I used have had orange/red silicone. I also agree no go on that mess on the clean side of the filter oil path.

Good Lord. And I thought my Motorcraft filters were bad. I've never seen anything that bad.

You can contact, RockAuto send it back but it's going to cost more in shipping, then the filter cost. Contact champion labs they will not do nothing.., they say it's on RockAuto!! I already went through this 2 months ago I'm sitting on two filters, I ordered, they never came with silicone anti drain back valves.

Back