Champ / Luber-Finer PH2867XL - wouldn't spin on

Sorry you had bad luck. I bought one last year and it was fine but it was only one.
I'm thinking it's a bad batch/shipment. I ordered 12, since a lot of my family owns Hondas that I service. There were 2 boxes of 6 filters. One box was correct, the other contained filters like the OP had. They did have me return them, maybe they sent them to the OP? :LOL: 🤦‍♂️

Well, the good part is if the filter is in fact HF4477 it can go on a wide variety of Toyotas etc., I just need to write correct filter model above sticker for another tech to not shake head that someone installed incorrect filter ... LOL... or a note to self if I get to work on same car... LOL
I tend to do the jobs considering I'm the one to work on the cars again so I do a few extra steps to make next service easier, e.g. applying anti-seize to brake rotors, clearing historic DTCs etc.

That would explain why RA puller the filters off their site.
? Not entirely true.

Though, it seems to be Champ made is now something to be avoided. Sad.

? Not entirely true.

Though, it seems to be Champ made is now something to be avoided. Sad.
I think they all have issues. Unfortunately Champ doesn’t seem to be completely immune to them.

Not long ago, @jeepman3071 had similar/same issue with "2867"Champ XL from RA*. The WRONG label was on the filter and it also wouldn't screw on because wrong thread pitch (sae). Reads like that's what happened here again.

Between the Mexican made Bosch crap (nothing "premium" about it) and now this, you're not having much luck with RA filter purchases.

Beat me to it. Can't believe we're seeing a follow up to this. Makes you wonder how many incorrectly labeled filters are out in the wild

Beat me to it. Can't believe we're seeing a follow up to this. Makes you wonder how many incorrectly labeled filters are out in the wild
Fwiw, I can't recall seeing an error like this before, let alone on multiple filters. It seems RA on the receiving end of the Champ Labs error. Looking at the manufacture dates, looks to be same date on this and previous thread. So, I'm thinking a mislabeled lot/run of filters here that ended up on RA, then posted here. I'd say best now to avoid ordering topic application filters from RA.

Just sloppy quality control. A few slipping through? It happens, but entire boxes of filters being incorrectly labeled? Considering it has impacted two members of this forum, I'd imagine the scale of the screw-up is much larger.

Just sloppy quality control. A few slipping through? It happens, but entire boxes of filters being incorrectly labeled? Considering it has impacted two members of this forum, I'd imagine the scale of the screw-up is much larger.
For all we know, it could have been a whole days run of filters and however many thousands of units that may have been.

Due to it being a factory mess up, someone should honor the mess-up regardless of how long ago someone bought them. RA says they won't honor the manufacturer's warranty since they are too old, so I'd contact Champ Labs and point out the manufacturing mis-labeling issue.

Due to it being a factory mess up, someone should honor the mess-up regardless of how long ago someone bought them. RA says they won't honor the manufacturer's warranty since they are too old, so I'd contact Champ Labs and point out the manufacturing mis-labeling issue.
Personally, I'm not overly concerned, I got only 4 filters this way and I can use them on Toyotas. Daughter will be selling her CSX in a few months so I don't need to restock Honda filters; I did order 2 Wix filters thou - one to replace old good Bosch 3323 on the car now and one JIC.

Will update the thread when I hear back. Filled out the form on Monday

I had the exact same thing happen to me last summer with a PH2867XL while spinning it on to my Type-R. It would start threading on and stop dead after 1/4 turn give or take. Did not even attempt to force it, threw it in the trash & grabbed another one that I had on hand. No idea the batch or date code. I have personally moved on from first brands offerings for all of my vehicles.

A Toyota filter that was mislabeled and put in the wrong box.
If you have something that requires a 4967 or 4386, it will probably spin right on.
In other words, that’s a PH2840XL

Last edited:
Not sure what to do at this point, am I supposed to fill out the form a second time........
Another member posted making a similar attempt to contact Champ after finding nitrile adbv rather than silicone on some Champ XL he received from RA. Champ basically told him to pound sand and threw it back on the seller RA for a refund. The complete mislabeling here of filters resulting in different thread pitch (sae) rather than the metric pitch expected, is a much more serious issue. The other member didn't say how he reached out to Champ, perhaps try the toll free number listed two posts prior. Imo, you should receive a complete refund.

Back