Chainsaw Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a new chainsaw. I have borrowed my dad's stihl 031av for years and am ready to buy my own.
what do you recommend?
I like the size and power (but not the weight
shocked.gif
) of the 031av. I prefer stihl but am not opposed to a husqy. something capable of a 16"-18" bar. It will get used a couple of times a year for trimming/cutting down trees

I have already checked out arborsite.com

I have had my Stihl 026 with a 16" bar for several years now. It has seen some heavy duty use and still keeps on cutting. I use an Echo 750 EVL with a 24" bar when the going gets rough. Echo or Stihl are my preferences. The pine bark beetles and ice storms keep my saws in use quite a bit.

I found a Stihl 019T on the side of the road a few years ago and it's the best chain saw I've ever had. Compared to a poulan the chains and bars last longer and cut more wood The engine is easy to start and very powerful for a small saw. Plus it is noticibly lighter and easier to handle than any of my poulans. I would definitly buy another stihl if this one ever wears out or I don't find another on the roadside.

I have a Stihl 025 for general work and I am really impressed. Starts easy. Easy to maintain. I keep a couple of extra chains so I don't have to sharpen them in the field. One thing to keep in mind is that if you buy yours in The People's Republic of California, all new Stihl power equipment comes with some kind of catalyst in the exhaust and performance can suffer. I bought mine in Nevada where no such requirements exist yet. My big saw is a Stihl 066, with both 24 and 36 inch bars for really heavy duty cutting. I use Mobil 1 MX2 at 40 to 1 and use Stihl bar oil. They are not the cheapest saws, but if properly maintained can last a long time.

Thanks for the info.

I'm considering a MS 270 wood boss. It is slightly smaller then the farm boss.I might look into a smaller saw though. the MS 250 might be all I need.

While I like my 2002 vintage 021 Stihl and have always liked Stihl it was brought to my attention that Stihl only rates their non-commercial engines to 50 hours use (also have a BG-55 leaf blower with the same rating). Whereas the Echo rates ALL their engines to 300 hours. When either of them die, I will be replacing them with Echo....just hate to buy something just to turn around and buy it again when it fails prematurely to my standards.

Tim

where is this lifespan rating info? 50 hours is only 10 5 hour days, that is not very long. IIRC there is some type of EPA rating that is often confused for engine lifespan, but is actually something else.

For Husqvarna saws, you could consider the 142, 340, 345 and the 350. My 141 is a great saw for the price of $199, but I saw more than I anticipated and now wish I had gotten the somewhat larger/stronger 350, which is about $299. Storm damage and pine bark beetles have me sawing 4-5 times a year.

A couple of weeks ago, I took my ancient 16'' Poulon Micro 25 and my newer 16'' Poulon Pro 220 to my daughter's. Her father in law brought his 18'' Craftsman. They rented a lift.

The occasion was 2 huge, 3' diameter trunk silver maples. When they bought the house, I told them the trees had to go, and the sooner the better, and they would have to hire professionals because they hung over the electric lines, house, and road. They didn't listen to dad.

Some of the places I was working, I wished the Micro 25 still had is original 12'' bar. On the other hand, many of the limbs took 2 passes with the 18'' Craftsman.

Both Poulons are a bit cranky about starting. The Craftsman had sort of a different system, you pull the rope out slowly, and near the end, it unwinds and starts right up. However, it was about twice as heavy as the Pro 220.

I hate the chain tensioner on the Pro 220. It has a little gear in the bar you turn with a screw driver and it pushes a rack against a pin. It just won't stay tight. The saw won't cut right with a loose chain, and even if you put up with it, the chain comes off. I used the Micro 25 most of the time. It has a 2.5 cu in engine, and the chips fly.

I once had a job where I used a Stihl. It was a good saw.

Try to match the saw to the job. The bigger saws are heavy and awkward on smaller jobs. Of course, compared to the saw, a second, different sized bar and chain, is cheap. You want several chains anyhow so you can keep changing to a sharp one.

ts,

I have a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss with 20" bar. It'll cut about anything you need to cut and with authority. Get the commercial chain. It replaced a Poulan Pro with 22" bar. The Poulan is rather a light duty piece of equipment in comparison, with the maddening chain tensioner noted by labman above. Additionally, the **** spark arrestor/exhaust box kept falling off.

No problems ever with the Stihl--3 years old and used periodically.

Cheers, Mark

Turbocharged? I don't think so. Husky has used a similar system for a few years now to help keep the air cleaner from clogging up with debris. The term "Turbocharged" gets thrown around alot without meaning an actual Turbo. I have seen vacuum cleaners claim to have "turbocharged" action. I guess nothing is sacred.

Likely a good choice unless you frequently will be cutting up huge trees. When my Micro 25 still had the 12'' bar I once cleaned up a 3' pig nut tree that blew down. Much easier for it being hollow.

get what feels good and start it up if you can.some rattle your arm off some are smooth. i bought a clearanced 14" poulan and have been pretty happy once i started using some good oil. i really like the amsoil saber with it. i use the husky branded chains on my poulan and they last significantly longer than the poulan or cheaper replacements i've used. sharper/better material? get what you like and what your wallet lets you.

I have a Stihl 021 and like it. 16" bar, lightweight and lotsa power. I bought it in 1999 when I cleared my back yard. Cut down 35 trees over a year period of time. Lots of weekends with the trees and the Stihl did just fine. I recently put another chain on it (Stihl chain around 20 bucks).

Jonsered is made by Husky, it only costs more. Popular mechanics had a nice article on chainsaws for the homowner/weekend wood cutter and they covered high, medium and low end saws. Try searching their website, I bet you could find the article archived somewhere. I found it very informative and an interesting read. If I remember right they found very little difference in the upper end saws.

I bought a Stihl 180... a small saw but the price was right and if I ever need to cut something so big that I need a much larger saw... the equivalent price of having a pro do it would justify me buying a bigger one.

I like the 180.

My father has an old echo, its over 20 years now, and still runs wonderfully... A bit crankier to start than the stihl, but it is that old... It surely has some deposits in it.

The echo CS-370 and CS-520 look like excellent saws.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back