Ceramic Grease For Brakes??

Planning on doing a brake job on a BMW 430, I’ve got terrible brake squealing when coming to a stop, I realised I have no brake grease so went to pick some up at the local parts store. They gave me a can of “Granville” Ceramic Brake Grease, this is all they had. Apparently can be used on the back of pads and sliders / pins.

Anybody got any experience with this stuff, is it as good as normal grease / copper grease I’ve used for years?

2ED4E5B5-18C9-4CC9-A08A-1F54D85CFC41.jpeg

8B97B11A-E78A-43B9-A9E2-DBCB40A4B1D1.jpeg
15497811-8687-4AB2-8247-71642B45F844.jpeg

Not from granville, but used ceramic brake grease on pads. Not for pins though it's quite stiff.

I think this stuff is hard to wash away, if that's an issue for you.

The "uses" makes no mention of slide pins. It calls out specific brake parts applications otherwise, but not the pins so I'd think not.

The "uses" makes no mention of slide pins. It calls out specific brake parts applications otherwise, but not the pins so I'd think not.

This is not a silicone-based grease so you don't want to use this on slide pins with rubber bushings since a petroleum-based grease would cause them to swell.

Slide pins without the bushings is fine since this is a metal-to-metal contact grease.

Slide pins are normally dry on a BMW
Just curious, but I suspect BMW sources brake calipers from someone and do other automakers that use the same brakes say to lube the slide pins ?

I have found that no amount of goop on those areas has a positive benefit on function or noise.
I wonder if putting something in those locations is a "just in case" thing 'cause the only reason I'd think there would be noise is if the pads are slightly loose and have wiggle room and that allows metal-on-metal noise. I recall that Wagner says NOT to put anything on the backs of the pads, at least on their ThermoQuiet line.

Just curious, but I suspect BMW sources brake calipers from someone and do other automakers that use the same brakes say to lube the slide pins ?
No
I wonder if putting something in those locations is a "just in case" thing 'cause the only reason I'd think there would be noise is if the pads are slightly loose and have wiggle room and that allows metal-on-metal noise.
Yes, especially on roads where salt brine is used, but it does vary amongst the different maunfacturers.

I have found that no amount of goop on those areas has a positive benefit on function or noise.
Directly from the BMW FSM: Apply a thin coating of break pad paste BMW TI. number 83 19 2 158 851 (3 gr.) or 83 19 2 158 852 (100 gr.). Spread brake pad paste onto the marked surfaces using a brush!

I thought BMW used brakes from a company with an abbreviated name and when you referenced "ATE", that rang a bell. Ford also uses ATE calipers. A co-worker's brakes on a new(er) BMW look like the same type as on my wife's Fusion and I've seen a service guide that says to lubricate the slide pins.

Directly from the BMW FSM: Clean guide screws only; do not grease.
I understand BMW says not to. It seems that other automakers that use the same ATE brakes do use lubricant on the slide pins as well as ATE themselves market a caliper grease that they say can be used on slide pins. Their system does appear to encapsulate the slide pins 100% so the risk of moisture (causing rust) or contaminants getting in there is pretty minimal but there's really no harm in applying lubrication either.

I understand BMW says not to. It seems that other automakers that use the same ATE brakes do use lubricant on the slide pins as well as ATE themselves market a caliper grease that they say can be used on slide pins. Their system does appear to encapsulate the slide pins 100% so the risk of moisture (causing rust) or contaminants getting in there is pretty minimal but there's really no harm in applying lubrication either.

The commonly available ATE Plastilube is meant for metal-to-metal contact points on the ears of the pad, as well as the backs. (BMW also used to sell smaller packets of it under their own label, and nowhere in the FSM have I ever come across has it been specified for use other than on hard points, or in conflict with their dry pin edict.)

But is is not rubber safe (tube says "nor to rubber parts"), and therefore not suitable for the majority of standard floating calipers that use rubber encapsulation bushings for the guide pins, nor for the piston seals when doing a rebuild.

ATE makes a different product ("Bremszylinder-paste") for that, but it's not as widely available and more difficult to source in the U.S.

Unfortunately, even a reputable parts house like FCP, and others, are spreading misinformation in selling it as a caliper pin lube. The labeling on the back of the tube is very clear. But ATE's North American page does themselves no favors when it mentions caliper pins in their pitch. Trust the tube, or the marketing?

That said, I will confess that I have gone against guidelines before, and used Sil-Glyde on BMW caliper pins, thinking that there would be no harm. To the contrary, I found that as it aged, it gummed up, and resulted in increased friction, the opposite of the desired effect. Lesson learned, and the limitations of the product exposed.

Last edited:
Many years ago ATE called for lubing the pins, but they switched to a teflon coated bushing and have been adamant since then that they not be greased.

If there's any concern or evidence of a sticking ATE caliper the proper thing to do is to replace the bushings, and the pins as well if they are worn or damaged.

Plastilube is mineral oil based, it's not safe for rubber, as the tube correctly states.

Slide pins are normally dry on a BMW, so you're fine using this for pad installation/backing/contact points

It depends on if this BMW uses Ate or TRW calipers.
Ate: plastic bushes, no lube. TRW: metal bushes: lube!

Many years ago ATE called for lubing the pins, but they switched to a teflon coated bushing and have been adamant since then that they not be greased.

So far I never descried any 'Teflon lined' caliper pin or bushing.

I use to use Pagid Ceratec for pins/bushes on TRW calipers
and Berner Anti-Seize between pad and piston and a tiny bit
of it between caliper's sliding part and their stainless springs.

The commonly available ATE Plastilube
ATE Plastilube Brake Lubricant is formulated to ... provide protection against corrosion for caliper guide surfaces including caliper slide pins...
This is where I got the info saying ATE markets a product for the slide pins. Interestingly enough, the tech sheet does not refer to the slide pins though.

Ahhh, you linked to the same page (didn't click the link initially).

BMW also used to sell smaller packets of it under their own label, and nowhere in the FSM
I realize the OP's post is about BMW but the point I was making is in many cases, the parts maker (in this case, ATE) supplies the same designs to various automakers and some say lube the pins and others don't say anything. Similar to ZF transmissions where ZF says replace the ATF every so often but some automakers say it's a "lifetime" fluid.

and used Sil-Glyde on BMW caliper pins, thinking that there would be no harm. To the contrary, I found that as it aged, it gummed up
I have had the same thing happen and no longer use Sil-Glyde on slide pins.

Back