Ceramic Coatings

I came across this article and was wondering what your guys' thoughts were on it.

Not the ratings but specifically their tiered price structure where they mention:

Breaking Down the Ceramic Coating Costs
In the DIY ceramic coating world, you really get what you pay for. There are three price categories, that tend to describe the level of paint protection product that you should expect.

Under $30:
These products are typical of the hybrid spray variety. You can expect to get no more than six months of protection on your vehicle.

$30 to $60:
When you pay for ceramic coating products at this level, the paint protection longevity can double – to about a year to 18-months.

Above $60:
At this price-point, if a ceramic coating does not back up their expected warranties for at least two years, it’s a waste of your investment.

Is this a good rule of thumb to follow when purchasing ceramic coatings? I would consider spending $60 or more on some product but I'd want confidence I'd be getting something for all that extra money. Are there products available with a 2 year guarantee?

Best bang for your buck, ease of use for a first timer, etc...

Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. You can also top it with Exo V4 for more durability, sickness, and "pop."

It's my new favorite. CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 and 3D Ceramic Coating round out my top 3. Properly cared for you should see 24-36mo no problem. All are well under $100 for 30ml.

Adam's Ceramic (5yr) and Graphene (7yr) are favorites of mine too but are more expensive.

Not running Ceramic on this Honda,but had very good luck of the Griots Carnauba and then applied Eagle One Nano Spray Wax on top. I have the Meguiars Green Ceramic Wax and plan to use it on either the CR-V or when I buy the new Accord.

I have had good luck with hybrid ceramic spray waxes. Specifically the meguiars. I am not sure about more expensive options, but a $15 bottle has lasted me through 6 months worth of car washes and for the most part, it doesn't appear to need to be reapplied every wash. I just choose to.

I have had good luck with hybrid ceramic spray waxes. Specifically the meguiars. I am not sure about more expensive options, but a $15 bottle has lasted me through 6 months worth of car washes and for the most part, it doesn't appear to need to be reapplied every wash. I just choose to.

I like this idea...with the weather as wild as it has been over the last few years, not sure I would trust any wax to go more than 6 months.... would apply more anyways.

Ed Bolian from Vinwiki mentioned he was skeptical, but used it on his black Porsche 911 and dirt didn't stick nearly as much.

Dr Beasley’s just came out with an all in one polish and ceramic coating. Meaning after your wash, clay you can do your machine compound, polish and ceramic in one shot. On my list for my black car

Dr Beasley’s just came out with an all in one polish and ceramic coating. Meaning after your wash, clay you can do your machine compound, polish and ceramic in one shot. On my list for my black car
From Dr. Beasely:

"AFTER-CARE: To ensure durability, wash every 2 weeks with Ceramic Body Wash and rejuvenate every 3 months with AdvanceCoat: Gloss. With proper after-care, NSP Z1 protection can last a year or more on even a daily driver."

Will not hold a candle to a traditionally applied coating in terms of durability or performance.

It might be a good product but there is something about having a Polish and a coating together that boggles my mind a bit. My personal preference would be to keep the two separate.

Reading the description, the ideal usage for this product is on vehicles with minimal need for correction.

It might be a good product but there is something about having a Polish and a coating together that boggles my mind a bit. My personal preference would be to keep the two separate.

Reading the description, the ideal usage for this product is on vehicles with minimal need for correction.

The technology is moving fast, that's for sure!

Ceramic coating to me is great. It has been 18 months since the truck was coated and it beads like crazy still even the windshield. I was lazy and ran it through the touchless car wash and then came home and used detail spray and microfiber towels to wipe it down and was surprised to see that the towels were not very dirty at all. The truck was a mess before I ran it through the touchless. To me, ceramic coating is the way to go. Also using Adam's Ceramic Boost helps keep things shining for a long time with little effort.

I've been using the Meguiars spray on ceramic since spring. Great gloss and of course about as easy to apply as it gets. Not sure on longevity since I don't get many chances to wash the truck and when I do I've been reapplying it. Wife's truck lasted all summer with one application, but didn't see as effective as a quality buffed on sealant.

Couple weeks ago I applied the liquid ceramic by Meguiars (not the spray on). Was not like any sealant I've used. Went on extremely thin, almost completely invisible. Buffed by feel only as you couldnt see it on the paint, really. Gloss is very nice, though not as deep as some (I have a bright blue paint). Water beading is as good as any sealant I've used. Plan to run it all winter here in Michigan, so we will see how its doing in spring.

I bought a ceramic hybrid by “chemical brothers” I think, at autozone for around $40. It is strikingly effective. After finishing 4 vehicles with it, 90% of the bottle remains. Done patiently, a little goes a long way. It lasts a long time too, and dirt stays off.

it’s almost too shiny on the truck... it shows too many details.

the shine is not as deep, however, as a true wax. If I was to be a fanatic, I’d want something to fill scars in the paint first. However, if you’re looking to see dirt and pollen build up slower, it’s worth the time and expense.

m

Be careful not to get fooled by the exponentially growing list of products that say "ceramic" on the label. It has become fodder for marketing departments all over the world. The market has become flooded with ceramic-infused detail sprays, sealants, waxes, etc. but none are true ceramic coatings. Unless it comes in a small glass bottle, you apply it with a micro suede applicator, let it flash, level it, and let it cure for an extended period you're not really applying a ceramic *coating* to your car.

Be careful not to get fooled by the exponentially growing list of products that say "ceramic" on the label. It has become fodder for marketing departments all over the world. The market has become flooded with ceramic-infused detail sprays, sealants, waxes, etc. but none are true ceramic coatings. Unless it comes in a small glass bottle, you apply it with a micro suede applicator, let it flash, level it, and let it cure for an extended period you're not really applying a ceramic *coating* to your car.
Try Autofiber's microfiber coating applicators. They have barrier layers to help keep the product from soaking into the applicator. Much better than the microsuede+foam block.

I agree with the rest of your post. A true coating is as you described. That's not to say that other products are not effective, or an improvement over the waxes/sealants of old though.

I’m perfectly happy with Optimum spray wax, which doesn’t have either “Ceramic” or “nano” in the name but otherwise behaves as a quality sealant.

I have used the Avalon King coating and like it a lot. You can find YouTube people giving out codes like Legit Street Cars to get it cheaper. I do think like anything, its all in the prep. If you do a good job in the prep, the product will do well. I saw this video recently that showed ceramic coating on paint close up:

Pan the Organizer just did a follow up on Avalon King and he likes it a lot, too. He's got a discount code in the latest vid. that he posted within the last week.

Back