Central A/C replacement

I got a quote today for an american standard 4 ton 18 seer variable speed unit that that can run 2 zones with 2 thermostats. With a new 100k btu furnace, the quote is 14,600.

Getting another estimate today, does that sound resonable?
Assuming the furnace is an 80% AFUE unit given your locale? Even if it's high efficiency, that sounds too high for sure. I just had my whole system replaced within the last couple of months, albeit here it's all about the furnace and the A/C is used for a very short timeframe and some don't even have it. $7500 installed for a Trane 2.5 ton system variable speed blower, furnace is 96% AFUE 2 stage and A/C is just a basic one stage 14 SEER.

Assuming the furnace is an 80% AFUE unit given your locale? Even if it's high efficiency, that sounds too high for sure. I just had my whole system replaced within the last couple of months, albeit here it's all about the furnace and the A/C is used for a very short timeframe and some don't even have it. $7500 installed for a Trane 2.5 ton system variable speed blower, furnace is 96% AFUE 2 stage and A/C is just a basic one stage 14 SEER.
This kind of expensive quote typically means the contractor already has work to do and he will have to make a lot of money to delay that to do yours.

We are in a housing boom and a lot of laborers got sent out of the country, so the combination is you need to pay a lot for a previously much cheaper job.

The "Its hard to stop a trane" slogan is 30 years old, Trane units used to be top of the line but that hasn't been the case in my experience with residential units the last 15 years, Trane has as many problems as every other brand. Since the pandemic i've seen more trane units faulty out the box than any other brand., seems like their quality control team took a vacation. Anyway 14 grand for a straight cool unit is outrageous, I wouldnt go with anything over 16 seer, anything over 16 seer gets complicated, expensive, and doesnt save you much more in the end. Just my 2 cents.

The "Its hard to stop a trane" slogan is 30 years old, Trane units used to be top of the line but that hasn't been the case in my experience with residential units the last 15 years, Trane has as many problems as every other brand. Since the pandemic i've seen more trane units faulty out the box than any other brand., seems like their quality control team took a vacation. Anyway 14 grand for a straight cool unit is outrageous, I wouldnt go with anything over 16 seer, anything over 16 seer gets complicated, expensive, and doesnt save you much more in the end. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks, its not straight cool. Its switching from single zone to a zoned setup in a 2 story home with a single compressor, and its including replacing the furnace. Instead of a single thermostat downstairs we will have a thermostat on each level, and air shifted to which ever floor needs it or both floors.
It would still be a single 4 ton compressor but with zoned duct work and a new furnace.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Moderators, feel free to close this topic if appropriate.

Last edited:
Back