Cenex Maxtron HD ATF vs. ?? on Ford 4R100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

I (may) be acquiring a vehicle with a Ford 4R100 or E4OD transmission in an E450 chassis. 1997 model, 37K on the unit, V10 engine. No known transmission fluid change, but plenty of engine oil changes over the time frame. I plan on doing a 'drop the plan, replace the filter + fluid' and possibly a full flush.

Both of the shops I have relationships with normally use a BG machine and usually BG fluid, but they'll both use whatever I bring in. They also normally do the flush that involves adding some sort of cleaner, driving around a bit, and then flushing that out until it comes out clean, eventually adding a 'conditioner'. Presumably all BG products. If I go with the BG fluid, would you do that?

So I guess my questions are:
- which fluid? Normally I'd use Amsoil (which one for this application, though?). I also like Cenex products (see below for links to the Auto Gold Multivehicle ATF and the Maxtron Heavy Duty ATF, both of which cover Mercon/Mercon V). I've never used BG stuff.
- if I go with the BG fluid, would you also do the full 'add cleaner, drive, flush, add conditioner' dance?
- would you bother with the flush at all or just do a drain-and-refill a few times over the next howevermany miles and months?

I'll be pulling the pan to put in a transmission temp gauge anyway (or are there better places for those?), therefore, the choices are:

a) just drain and refill with:
a1) Amsoil fluid
a2) BG fluid
a3) Cenex fluid
a4) ??

b) drain, refill, and then flush with:
(same fluid choices above)

c) drain, refill, and "fancy" flush with BG stuff.

For Cenex stuff, look under 'Data Sheets':

https://www.cenex.com/portal/server.pt/community/3lubricants/319/products#

Last edited:
Even with the age on the unit?

At this point, I'm leaning towards the drop-the-pan, replace-the-filter, and run-a-flush-w-BG-fluid approach.

The shop is going to do a full end-to-end check on it for me anyway (brake fluid, steering fluid, coolant drain+replace, etc.)

Originally Posted By: Jon
I (may) be acquiring a vehicle with a Ford 4R100 or E4OD transmission in an E450 chassis. 1997 model, 37K on the unit, V10 engine. No known transmission fluid change, but plenty of engine oil changes over the time frame. I plan on doing a 'drop the plan, replace the filter + fluid' and possibly a full flush.

Both of the shops I have relationships with normally use a BG machine and usually BG fluid, but they'll both use whatever I bring in. They also normally do the flush that involves adding some sort of cleaner, driving around a bit, and then flushing that out until it comes out clean, eventually adding a 'conditioner'. Presumably all BG products. If I go with the BG fluid, would you do that?

So I guess my questions are:
- which fluid? Normally I'd use Amsoil (which one for this application, though?). I also like Cenex products (see below for links to the Auto Gold Multivehicle ATF and the Maxtron Heavy Duty ATF, both of which cover Mercon/Mercon V). I've never used BG stuff.
- if I go with the BG fluid, would you also do the full 'add cleaner, drive, flush, add conditioner' dance?
- would you bother with the flush at all or just do a drain-and-refill a few times over the next howevermany miles and months?

I'll be pulling the pan to put in a transmission temp gauge anyway (or are there better places for those?), therefore, the choices are:

a) just drain and refill with:
a1) Amsoil fluid
a2) BG fluid
a3) Cenex fluid
a4) ??

b) drain, refill, and then flush with:
(same fluid choices above)

c) drain, refill, and "fancy" flush with BG stuff.

For Cenex stuff, look under 'Data Sheets':

https://www.cenex.com/portal/server.pt/community/3lubricants/319/products#

I would check for a torque convertor drain plug, my 99 F250 Super Duty with a E40D has one, so just drop the pan and convertor plug and you are good to go, if I remember mine held 15 qts. or if no convertor plug you can have it flushed, however Ford and most OEM's now have TSB's that do not recommend using any chemical flushing solution and I for the most part agree. If the fluid is really nasty flush it using the cheapest fluid you can buy and them flush again after a few hundred miles using the correct fluid that you perfer. I feel that if you are going to use this for hauling or HD work use a good synthetic and add a in-line filter in one of the cooler lines, that is what I do and I now am nearing 90k with no problems. I think that Mercon 5 is synthetic? but I believed we used a Mobil synthetic fluid for my truck. I just do not remember and my records are at work so I can check them tomorrow. I know most people claim the BG has good products, but I do not recommend them, my thought is that they are using a universal one size fits all fluid that's why you have to add a conditioner. I actually own a automotive repair shop and at last count we carry at least 10 different types of ATF. I must say you asked some good questions and enjoy your new truck!

I'm thinking that maybe you are right.
In that case, I'll probably use the Cenex stuff.
I do have a few bottles of auto-rx. What do you think of putting that in after the initial drop+refill and then changing out the fluid (again) in a few thousand miles / 6 months?

Due to the size of the vehicle, both shops have declined to perform that work - the local dealer will do the work (and some other preventative maint) but they don't flush, they just drop the pan, replace the filter, and replace lost fluid. They also drain the torque converter, if it has a drain plug.

Either way, they'll use whatever Ford recommends. I'll probably do a flush in a year or two (or three) since the pan won't have to be dropped for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back