Ceiling fan will not reverse direction

I have a 10 year old Monte Carlo ceiling fan that only runs in the clockwise direction and moves air upward towards the ceiling. It has very few hours on it. The reverse switch has no effect and I made sure it wasn’t in a neutral position.

I’m thinking of replacing the reverse switch but wanted to check to see if there might be some other duh moments I need to check such as the electrician wiring it wrong at the wall switch. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have a 10 year old Monte Carlo ceiling fan that only runs in the clockwise direction and moves air upward towards the ceiling. It has very few hours on it. The reverse switch has no effect and I made sure it wasn’t in a neutral position.

I’m thinking of replacing the reverse switch but wanted to check to see if there might be some other duh moments I need to check such as the electrician wiring it wrong at the wall switch. Any ideas? Thanks.
I would try contact cleaner first on the fan's direction switch then replace the switch if that doesn't fix it. The direction is determined internally to the fan, not the wall switch.

There are lots of spare parts available, a new f and r switch may fix it I have repaired ceiling fans but I would buy a new fan and be done with it.

There are lots of spare parts available, a new f and r switch may fix it I have repaired ceiling fans but I would buy a new fan and be done with it.
Why spend all that money when a $5 switch and 15 minutes will likely fix it? Switches and capacitors are all that go bad, are cheap parts to buy and easy to change.

Thanks. I have several ceiling fans that all match, from 10 years ago, so I’ll probably try fix this one. I can’t find the same model anymore.

I'm guessing the electronics that reverse the fan are in the switch then. Good luck buying a new one. Maybe Home Depot sells a generic switch? Unless the fan is a unique decorator style that goes with the room, might be better off just buying a new one.

Plenty of replacement controllers. Not sure you could take one apart for cleaning.
Thanks. My wall mounted controller is the one that’s listed for $71.98. It’s the one on the left in the photo. It has the speed selection and a button for the optional light, which this fan does not have.

The reversing function is controlled by a slide button on the side of the fan body.

I plan to pick up a can of CRC contact cleaner. Also I found this item on Amazon, and will check the dimensions on the switch.

07AB402A-E578-4E71-8775-EAF3FA697262.jpg

I take it the switch is rather simple. It completes the circuit to turn the fan clockwise in the right hand position and when switched to the left it completes the circuit to the motor, but wired in reverse. The other wire is a ground I believe. Puzzling that when moving the switch to the left, it’s still providing power for the clockwise rotation.

The issue is at the fan, not the switch, but I think you've realized that now. If you put it in reverse and help it get started, does it then spin ?

The switch does just what you say right above my post. Any AC motor (don't about DC) can rotate CW or CCW just by reversing the wiring. In the case of that switch, I'm certain the center leads are the incoming power and moving the switch just "jumpers" the hot wire to the appropriate wire/connection to the motor.

Thank you for all that contributed. The solution was easier than I thought. Here is my investigation. Then I’ll give the solution.

I have seven fans in my house, all the bedrooms, a sunroom, the dining area and the living room.

Five of the fans have ordinary slide switches built for fans. Two fans ( the living room and dining room) have Casablanca branded wall mounted switches with three speeds. I have in the past used the side switch on the fan body to change the direction of the fan but coincidently not with the dining room or living room fans.

627F0E99-7565-4A00-817E-618D5FCF5409.jpeg

I then removed the cover and looked at the reversal switch.

Last edited:
Back