CDC: Salt not really bad for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
"The committee found no consistent evidence to support an association between sodium intake and either a beneficial or adverse effect on most health outcomes,"

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/17366/20130712/cdc-guidelines-salt-intake-salt-consumption.htm

Previously recommended low levels of salt might actually be harmful:
Quote:
For population subgroups, some studies indicate that low sodium intake may lead to greater risk of adverse health effects in patients who have a diagnosis of moderate or evere congestive heart failure and are receiving certain aggressive therapeutic treatments. The committee found no evidence for benefit and some evidence suggesting risk of adverse health outcomes associated with sodium intake levels in ranges pproximately 1,500 to 2,300 mg/day among those with diabetes, kidney disease, or CVD. Further, the evidence on both the benefit and harm is not strong enough to indicate that these subgroups should be treated differently than the general U.S. population.

Thus, the evidence on direct health outcomes does not support recommendations to lower sodium intake within these subgroups to or even below 1,500 mg/day

http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2013/Sodium-Intake-Populations/SodiumIntakeinPopulations_RB.pdf

Decades of "recommendations" by "experts" now found to be false.

Not surprised. Our understanding of the human body improves all the time.

As an aside, my mom's physician told her the "salt myth" is way overblown and that plenty of people could actually stand to consume MORE.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Decades of "recommendations" by "experts" now found to be false.

Absolutely. A small minority are genuinely sensitive but most of us are not harmed by normal amounts. It's those processed foods that sneak so much in without tasting it.

Generally speaking if it's raw and the way nature made it it's ok, it's only when we mess with food that it becomes unhealthy.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Bacon, eggs, whole milk, OJ, toast with butter; the balanced breakfast of the 1960s and 1970s.

Only because of a marketting company 'though.

I'm not sure that this is really news.
It's been known for a number of years that salt intake has a relationship to hypertension in only a fairly small subset of the population.
It's been known for centuries that some salt intake is required for survival.

Now if only they would report 6-12 beers are better than 1 - 2 beers!!!!!! Ahhhh, heaven.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Now if only they would report 6-12 beers are better than 1 - 2 beers!!!!!! Ahhhh, heaven.

Yes please! Can we add hydrogenated oil to the safe list? It would make grocery shopping easier.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

You don't need a report to tell you that. You can observe it directly.

Problem is most foods contain a ton of salt. Depends what you eat/cook but i think moderation is key in all areas. Too bad I know no moderation when it comes to booze!! J/k The correlation is that people who are in bad health and shape are more likely to be eating mcdonalds 3 times a day..in which case you certainly are getting too much sodium. I like to cook my own food and use seasonings to make food tasty. Most food has sodium in it already.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Next they'll be telling us that statins are evil !!!

They are...

Yeah, I know...wonder how long it will take for them to admit it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
These folks are still trying to figure out why people die and have villainized everything under the sun doing so.

THIS

Originally Posted By: Trav
These folks are still trying to figure out why people die and have villainized everything under the sun doing so.

It's genetics mostly. Some people drink, smoke, and eat like pigs and out live people who run marathons every week and end up dying of heart disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back