Salt Deficiency: Cause Of Many Serious Diseases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
To have sand in their product shows Real Salt has poor or extremely abbreviated production practices. I guess a settling tank is not part of their factory. Just shovel it into buckets, grind it up, and package it.

If I want sand, I'll just eat at Taco Bell.

Silicon Dioxide is one of the ingredients. It's more commonly known as sand. (or quartz)

I bought a whole bunch of Kosher salt to brine stuff before I smoke it. If I use salt at all (and I don't really) I've become accustomed to the milder Kosher salt taste. I'll probably end up with an iodine deficiency.
33.gif

Table salt taste like yuk. I'll stick with Hawaiian sea salt. Physical activity is also a good health remedy. Being lazy and fat is another health risk.

So why is 0.01 grams of table salt taste salty and strong versus 0.01 grams of Hawaiian sea salt which is much mellow and tasty if both have the same amount of sodium. I don't buy the ocean sea salt has a different flavor versus mining table salt if they are stating both have the same % of sodium and chemical makeup.

When I drank fresh flowing water from the Bekaa valley during the spring time when the snow melted the the taste was fresh and sweet. Sweetest water I've tasted. It was the natural chemical runoff from the Bekaa Valley that gave that taste. Also the same water used for the fertile agriculture in the Bekaa Valley....some of the finest sweetest fruits and veggie I've tasted. They say it's from the "water"

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
...So why is 0.01 grams of table salt taste salty and strong versus 0.01 grams of Hawaiian sea salt which is much mellow and tasty if both have the same amount of sodium...

My theory, without knowing exactly how you're consuming it, is that a given weight or volume of table salt, being composed of much smaller crystals, has much more surface area and therefore dissolves faster. So when it gets into your mouth (or the food you've sprinkled it on) you have more of a salty solution going on that just a relatively small number of discrete salt crystals.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
...So why is 0.01 grams of table salt taste salty and strong versus 0.01 grams of Hawaiian sea salt which is much mellow and tasty if both have the same amount of sodium...

My theory, without knowing exactly how you're consuming it, is that a given weight or volume of table salt, being composed of much smaller crystals, has much more surface area and therefore dissolves faster. So when it gets into your mouth (or the food you've sprinkled it on) you have more of a salty solution going on that just a relatively small number of discrete salt crystals.

jeff

My point was it's the minerals in the spring water(Bekaa Valley) that gave that sweet taste. A plant has living cells like the human body, natural low doses a balancing act. Geographically there is something from the spring water that is balance and unique ... wonders why the Roman Empire's main agriculture produce was from the Bekaa Valley.

I just had the opportunity to chemically analyze sea salt provided by one of my colleagues using energy dispersive spectroscopy. All I could find in the salt was Na, Cl, Si, and O. Na-Cl was the salt; Si-O is an anti-caking agent.

I ran some table salt (Morton's, uniodized), and got the exact same results. The two salts are virtually identical. I got the same result reported in the BBC health news article.

Table salt taste like yuk. I'll stick with Hawaiian sea salt. Physical activity is also a good health remedy. Being lazy and fat is another health risk.

So why is 0.01 grams of table salt taste salty and strong versus 0.01 grams of Hawaiian sea salt which is much mellow and tasty if both have the same amount of sodium. I don't buy the ocean sea salt has a different flavor versus mining table salt if they are stating both have the same % of sodium and chemical makeup.

When I drank fresh flowing water from the Bekaa valley during the spring time when the snow melted the the taste was fresh and sweet. Sweetest water I've tasted. It was the natural chemical runoff from the Bekaa Valley that gave that taste. Also the same water used for the fertile agriculture in the Bekaa Valley....some of the finest sweetest fruits and veggie I've tasted. They say it's from the "water"

Region where it is grown does have a huge part how produce taste. Some of the best tasting vegetables I have eaten was when I was in Jordan.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Region where it is grown does have a huge part how produce taste. Some of the best tasting vegetables I have eaten was when I was in Jordan.

When were you there...nice to hear. What types of produce did you eat.

I was there in May of 2009 nice heat. People is Arizona think this is hot. I was only there for 3 days. But I ate as much vegetables I could stuff my face at a buffet near the dead sea.

I just had the opportunity to chemically analyze sea salt provided by one of my colleagues using energy dispersive spectroscopy. All I could find in the salt was Na, Cl, Si, and O. Na-Cl was the salt; Si-O is an anti-caking agent.

I ran some table salt (Morton's, uniodized), and got the exact same results. The two salts are virtually identical. I got the same result reported in the BBC health news article.

+1

I have been saying this for a long time that ALL salt is sea salt. There is always someone that insists that salt is different. The salt in those giant salt mines in Austria came from an ancient sea.

All salt came from the sea...how about refine flour, white rice or refine white sugar. They all came from a source or are they the same from the original.

It's pricey but the Kona sea salt from a depth of 2,200 ft free of pollution and sea water that's 2,000 years old has a very low sodium concentration...I'll take this salt over any other sea salt(opinion).

"It's No Surprise! Not All Sea Salts are Created Equal , Either

Salt and sodium are often used interchangeably in discussions regarding food grade salts. However, many sea salts come in well below the qualifier for Food Grade's 97% sodium chloride content in the Codex Alimentarius standard. Kona Sea Salt,TM for example, contains up to 48% less sodium than ordinary table salt and some other sea salts - this is well below table salt's 40% sodium.

Using food grade sea salt in recipes and on the table does not assure that you are reducing sodium in your diet. Comparing only refined salt to natural sea salt can be very misleading because of the Codex Alimentarius standard defining food grade. The standard does not account for mineral elements that make up the remaining content of natural sea salt. Again, using Kona Sea Salt™ as a comparison, independent analyses revealed that not only does this salt contain up to 48% less sodium than refined table salt, it has 25% more essential mineral elements than ordinary table and food grade salts.

Read your labels on all salts before you buy to ensure you are getting salt with a lower sodium content than ordinary, food grade table salts - and this applies to natural sea salts, too."

Could be marketing stuff, when I taste table salt versus low sodium sea salt I notice a huge difference.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I have been saying this for a long time that ALL salt is sea salt. There is always someone that insists that salt is different. The salt in those giant salt mines in Austria came from an ancient sea.

And there's salt high in potassium (it's pink), lithium (they are extracting lithium from salt pools in South America, boronated salt pools etc.

They were all once "seas", but are far from homogenous

Not all sea salt are the same. Real Salt is disappointing according to their test.

http://www.wildearthmarket.com/weight-di...y-css50119.html

I know it's easy to dismiss that which contradicts the conventional medical wisdom, but the OP may be onto something.

I've actually been reading a series of blog post/articles by Chris Kresser (who is good about providing references and avoiding wild, unsubstantiated claims) on the subject.

There are cases when salt restriction might make sense, but there's also danger in reducing salt intake for many people:

Sorry for the multiple links, but it's not as easy to follow the series from start to finish as I'd like:

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-history-of-salt

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-human-need-for-salt

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-dangers-of-salt-restriction

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-when-salt-reduction-may-be-warranted

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-healthy-salt-recommendations

Something that a few have alluded to but needs more focus is, we are all different.

I'm 46 and just recently discovered that I have an intolerance to gluten. I've given up wheat products and it has transformed my life. I believe my father had undiagnosed gluten intolerance or Celiac disease, and he died at 56. So why bring this up? Because I'm DIFFERENT genetically than many of you, and just because I can't eat gluten, that doesn't mean that the prescription is the same for you.

If I was a blowhard government type, I could come up with regulations and recommendations for gluten much like they have done for salt. But I believe that salt affects each of us differently. Some need to be careful of their intake. Many do not. Do I know this for certain? No... but sometimes the most important tool in the box is common sense. In fact, most of the time the most valuable tact is common sense.

Since going off gluten, I can *feel* that my high blood pressure is lower. I feel great. A lot of things that used to bother me, milk, fruit, sugar,... don't bother me at all now.

Each of us needs to find their own prescription. Seeking a recommendation from the government or someone selling something is a waste of valuable time.

LOL... those idiots in NYC who ban salt... they should go a month without any salt, and if they're still living, go ahead and ban it.

I thought sea salt was potassium chloride, and table salt was sodium chloride.
So does this mean they are using common sea salt as table salt?

mechtech2, once AGAIN, sea salt is still predominantly Sodium Chloride.

Depending on harvesting and crystalisation techniques, and whether it was a naturally evaporated deposit of salt, it may have high(er) levels of potassium and lithium, and all sorts of other stuff, but it's still mostly Sodium Chloride.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

I thought sea salt was potassium chloride, and table salt was sodium chloride.
So does this mean they are using common sea salt as table salt?

If you tasted potassium chloride you wouldn't confuse it with sea salt or regular salt.. It's nasty (IMO) and the shaker has all sorts of warnings about not overdoing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back