Cat Deo 15w40 for toyota 1HD-FT

Hello all. I can get some Cat Deo (spec) cheap and am wondering if you knowledgable oil types would consider it appropriate for use in a freshly built toyota 1hd-ft - it's a straight six 4.2l diesel 24v OHC. Cheers.

Unless you need/want some special break in oil, this Cat DEO is just fine for your use ( I'm just assuming it doesn't require CJ-4 rating ). This oil is good for CI-4 PLUS back to CG-4 (and CG-4 was approved for a few previous ratings). It is a high quality oil and here in the U.S. is made by exxon-mobil ( last I knew anyway ). Not sure who makes it for Australia but with Cat's name on it, I'm sure it is a fine product. If it's priced right, grab all you can! smile

Dusty roads you are indeed right it is also still made by Mobil in Australia. There are however two different types of Cat Deo - one with the CI-4 rating. And one with The CJ-4 rating. They are pretty much a similar oil only with a slight variation in their additive packages both would be acceptable for the vast majority of diesel motors in Australia.

CI-4 is not low ash where as CJ-4 is. It all depends on if there is emission control stuff down stream of the engine. Diesel Particulate filters require low ash (CJ-4) formulation.