Cat breeding for cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if this is a good idea. Buy a couple for like $1k each. The special breeds. Not the ferel variety at shelters. Make some babies. Sell them. For like $1k each. I'm trying to put together some cash, and cats just might be a solution.

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
Cats are useful only as moving targets...unless you have a rat problem.

As someone who owns many cats, I feel the need to respond to this, but I will just say this:

Someone hurts my cats, I hurt them. Worse.

To the OP: You might want to rethink your idea.. This isn't a quick turn around sort of thing, and you're going to have expenses. You'll also need to be prepared for the eventuality that nobody will pay your price and you'll end up with cats as pets.

It's not a $1K+$1K = $5K equation.

need to factor in vet bills for the parents, offspring (down here vaccinations and microchipping).

Cost of unsold inventory when all the cute ones get sold.

Puppy and cat farmers are typically despicable in their care and behaviours...true breeders often not much better.

Originally Posted by SirTanon

As someone who owns many cats, I feel the need to respond to this, but I will just say this:

To the OP: You might want to rethink your idea.. This isn't a quick turn around sort of thing, and you're going to have expenses. You'll also need to be prepared for the eventuality that nobody will pay your price and you'll end up with cats as pets.

I'm with you on this! Way too much cruelty going on towards helpless animals.

Originally Posted by tc1446

Same here, usually indicates mental issues when people like to abuse animals. My blood boils when I see things like that, god forbid I catch someone doing it. I know you wont go to jail if you kill someone attacking your family/child, but what about pets?

Originally Posted by Shannow
It's not a $1K+$1K = $5K equation.

need to factor in vet bills for the parents, offspring (down here vaccinations and microchipping).

Cost of unsold inventory when all the cute ones get sold.

Puppy and cat farmers are typically despicable in their care and behaviours...true breeders often not much better.

Actually it's more of a 1500+1500=8500 kind of deal.
My niece breeds the hairless cats. The market is there, folks wait, and are willing to pay dearly for the kittens.
Currently small, 2 breeding pairs, and about 20 cats a year.

Have always had a cat around. Love them. Don't think I would care to be a breeder though.

Invest the $2000 into yourself and better education to make more money.

$2000 is a large outlay to make more money. I have never in my life seen a wealthy cat breeder. Odd people who are not rolling in any money.

Millions euthanized per year, so no

The fact you mention "cash" seems to indicate your interest is cats is very little; bad business model IMHO

Originally Posted by tc1446

I will 3rd this.

There are too many cats in the pound,pet stores,in front of Kmart etc that breeding and selling cats won't be what the op hopes for.

I have 4. One I bought at the pound and then my black one adopted us. I got married and she had a cat. Then a baby orange one showed up at my work.

Last edited:
I'm going to research more into this. If wealthy people are propping up a market for this, it should be straight forward.

I think I could forgo vet bills. If stray cats can eat whatever scraps they find and survive, having a pet doctor might be overrated.

Neighbor used to raise cats. She did a lot of socialization things with them to make a difference, such as:
- collars
- had dog and they grew up liking him and having some of his personality
(very friendly, one would come up and brush his head on the shoe of anybody who came around to chat)
- full shots, Siamese who weren't talkative, lineage certificates

The family wasn't wealthy. Did it to help make ends meet.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Invest the $2000 into yourself and better education to make more money.

$2000 is a large outlay to make more money. I have never in my life seen a wealthy cat breeder. Odd people who are not rolling in any money.

How far would $2k get you? Two semesters of books? That's one semester's tuition for a liberal arts degree at a Canadian university. It's probably even higher now, I graduated five years ago.

Breeding cats or dogs is a labour of love. You have to enjoy the experience and be a animal lover enough to clean up copious amounts of defecation and deal with things being destroyed by them. If you want to have good litters, you need to spend more than $1k on the parents.

I'd love to breed dogs if I had enough property. I would probably need a wife/kids to handle the workload while working 9-5 but it would still be awesome to have puppies and watch them grow. If I could make enough to cover expenses that would be good enough for me.

You can't just slap a male and female in your shed and expect to charge $1k per kitten. You need to have a good product with proven bloodlines to attract people who want something better than can be had at the shelter.

Last edited:

Actually it's more of a 1500+1500=8500 kind of deal.
My niece breeds the hairless cats. The market is there, folks wait, and are willing to pay dearly for the kittens.
Currently small, 2 breeding pairs, and about 20 cats a year.

Apparently, Bengal cats are somewhat hypoallergenic, for those who prefer cats with fur...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BossMoss
I'm going to research more into this. If wealthy people are propping up a market for this, it should be straight forward.

I think I could forgo vet bills. If stray cats can eat whatever scraps they find and survive, having a pet doctor might be overrated.

Yoh don't sell strays for $1000 so your "logic" holds no water. Pets normally for $1000 come with health guarantee. This whole thing makes more sense that people with your type of thinking get it into it.

Around here the amish have that market cornered......They treat the animals sooooo good...lol

I think the key is cornering the market on a specific breed. There may not be a breeder for that breed within 1000 miles of you, so you might be the only game in town for a lot of people.

If you have imported blood lines + no competition it would legitimately be like printing money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back