Castrol's Web Site Chooses For You

Status
Not open for further replies.
WooooHoooo! I don't have to rack my brain anymore on which viscosity is right for my car; Castrol tells me. That's right! Just go to their web site, click on where it says "Which Oil to Buy" and their software tells you which oil is right for your car. It told me my car requires 10W-30, which also just so happens to be listed in my owner's manual. Wait a minute, why didn't I just listen to my owner's manual to begin with?

pat.gif

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/cast...ryId=3240&source=castrolglobalcountryselector

[ March 28, 2006, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: GoldenRod ]

Your right Goldenrod, all it does is tell you the manufacturers' recommended viscosity and then recommends one of their oils in that grade. For folks too dumb or lazy to read their owners' manual, it would be helpful.

For my 1997 Mazda B2300, the owner's manual calls for 10W-30. Castrol thinks I need 5W-20.
rolleyes.gif

Check out the disclaimer at the bottom of the page:
quote:

Legal
These Recomendations are based on the statistics. We do not take the responsibility in case malfunctioning.

Huh?

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
It told me to use 2% Milk?

I don't trust that now...
lol.gif

Scott

I used to visit Castrols site regularly, than it told me to use Bud Ice, I have never been back and my truck has never had another taste of Castrol.
wink.gif

I don't trust it...my 2001 Jetta TDI requires synthetic 5w-40 and it reccomended dino 10W-30 or synthetic 10w-40. Not even close in my book.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
WooooHoooo! I don't have to rack my brain anymore on which viscosity is right for my car; Castrol tells me.

Mobil has had a similar "advisor" on their site for years, at least for their M1 oils.

FYI... some of the Castrol's European sites go as far as recommending other fluids as well: ATF, manual tranny/gear oil, brake fluid, etc. They list capacities, too. I'm guessing they are just reiterating car mfg data for the lazy. OK if you lost your owner's manual, but if you didn't, I'd rather confirm with the manual.

I find it not so interesting that thier product data sheet says nothing that I wanna know...no NOACK, not even flash point.

But then what I find interesting(makes me think), whats with the order in which they suggest? Am I(the unassuming consumer) to think that GTX is the best(choice) of Castrol line? Or is the blend the best(choice)? So much for making the decision for me!

quote:

Castrol GTX
API*,SL 10W-30 - Maximum Protection Against Viscosity and Thermal Breakdown

Castrol GTX High Mileage
API*,SL 10W-30 - For Engines with Over 75,000 Miles

Castrol GTX Start-Up
API*,SL 10W-30 - Protection from the Moment You Turn the Key

Castrol SYNTEC
API*,SL 10W-30 - Outperforms ALL Leading Motor Oils

Castrol SYNTEC BLEND
API*,SL 10W-30 - Added Protection for Frequent Short Trips

Well, their oil finder isn't working properly for my car, or is it? Castrol seems not to know about their own 5W-40! According to Castrol, I should be using 10W-50 or 10W-60. While those two viscosities are listed as suitable in the manual, Castrol 5W-40 would provide the closest match, being a VW 502 oil. Now, for my '96 the older VW 500 spec is recommended, so maybe that's why Castrol can't find a match. Funny that they do list 5W-50, which I used for a several years in this engine, but that they won't recommend it.

quote:

Your selection
Category : Automotive
Sub-category : Car, Van, SUV, Truck
Manufacturer : AUDI
Model : A4 QUATTRO
Year : 1996
Engine : 6 Cyl-2.8L
Climate : All temps

Engine Oil
No Match

API*,SL 10W-50 - This Grade is not currently carried by Castrol. We encourage you to visit your local auto parts store or quick lube and request any of these grades. Please continue to check back often as we are constantly updating our product line to help you with all your automotive needs.
No Match

API*,SL 10W-60 - This Grade is not currently carried by Castrol. We encourage you to visit your local auto parts store or quick lube and request any of these grades. Please continue to check back often as we are constantly updating our product line to help you with all your automotive needs.
Castrol SYNTEC

API*,SL 5W-50 - Outperforms ALL Leading Motor Oils

quote:

Originally posted by ShortBuSX:
But then what I find interesting(makes me think), whats with the order in which they suggest? Am I(the unassuming consumer) to think that GTX is the best(choice) of Castrol line? Or is the blend the best(choice)? So much for making the decision for me!

quote:

Castrol GTX
API*,SL 10W-30 - Maximum Protection Against Viscosity and Thermal Breakdown

Castrol GTX High Mileage
API*,SL 10W-30 - For Engines with Over 75,000 Miles

Castrol GTX Start-Up
API*,SL 10W-30 - Protection from the Moment You Turn the Key

Castrol SYNTEC
API*,SL 10W-30 - Outperforms ALL Leading Motor Oils

Castrol SYNTEC BLEND
API*,SL 10W-30 - Added Protection for Frequent Short Trips

Alphabetical order.

Castrol product data sheets do provide flash point for SOME of their oils. I was very happy w/ my Tection Extra HDEO buy:

TYPICAL ANALYSIS
Part Number

SAE Grade
15W-40

Viscosity @ 40° C, cSt

Viscosity @ 100° C, cSt

Viscosity Index (Min.)

Flash Point, °C (°F )
232 °C (449 °F)

Pour Point, ° C (°F )
-29 °C (-20°F)

Gravity, ° API

Pounds per Gallon

Ash Content, % Wt.

Total Base Number ASTM D-2896

Recommends 5w20 for my 93 Crown Vic, and 10w30 for my dad's 98 Taurus. Odd, I thought the owner's manual in the Taurus calls for 5w30. Hmmmmm, now if I could find some of that new GTX 5w20 high mileage stuff, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back