Castrol wants you to switch to Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same opinion like other guys. Why paid for a group III oil when you have a better oil for the same price??

I never see nothing about Castrol Syntec are made for extended drain.

quote:

Castrol's group III oil may be great, the thing that bothers me about castrol (and all group III makers for that matter) is that they insist on maintaing the 3000 mile interval.

Where did you get it?
confused.gif

This thread has a really high density of false assumptions, bad logic, and relevant missing truthful info. It does have some good stuff too but the former sticks out the most.
To thy blasphemors I say:
Study the entire Syntec line. Study the specs each of them meet. Rid the mind of useless Castrol vs Mobil armchair battles and instead think in terms of Syntec grade x vs comparable Mobil 1 grade y. Question your belief system (how you "know" such and such thing). If you are really dedicated, you'll start conducting oil experiments in your spare time. You will find that Syntec 5W-40 and 10W-40 is actually more oxidatively stable than Mobil 1 0W-40. You say: "No, that can't be! Because so and so told me that all Syntec is Group 3 and all Mobil 1 is Group 4." But I solemnly must report that yes, if you did some testing, that is the result you'd find. Truth often is more amazing than fiction. Indeed so. Such tests on other Syntec, Mobil 1, Synpower, and Amsoil oils will also yield some unsuspected results. And maybe you'll start to wonder if that thing that so and so told you wasn't quite true. Even if it was, maybe you'll find that there is more to oil performance than basestocks. With a little effective searching, indeed one would find some test results showing that possibility to be true. Perhaps, one day enlightenment will come...or maybe not since some people just can't be reached.
grin.gif

Ok, that's the strangest post I've ever made. Don't know what got into me but I better go to bed.

I see way too much sarcasm on this board. This board is supposed to be professional? yea right.

I thought a forum is supposed to be a friendly learning enviorment, not some sarcastic get bashed for not using the best stuff, but define best anymore.

Mods and Admins, I'm sorry my reply is off topic but I refuse to hold back my thoughts anymore,,,,op

Wow, that's a clean engine!
As clean as mine where I've run RedLine for the last 55K.
I don't see any reason to pay more for RedLine in a street driven car.
That's why I've switched to 0w-30 Castrol Syntec.
Paid $3.99 with additional Castrol promos.

Buster,
Both Castrol Syntec and Mobil 1 are designed to meet or exceed the OEM drain requirements. When you run either of those products beyond their intended service life, you are doing your own testing of the product and are ultimately responsible for the results. The products were only designed to meet or exceed the OEM drain intervals, so if either one happens to last longer than the other (past the drain interval), then use it.

But its totally unfair to compare these two products by judging their ability to perform beyond its intended purpose. That is comparing apples to oranges. People should be comparing the two products under the conditions they were designed for.

quote:

Show me comparable examples of Mobil 1 at 10k intervals after 110k where engine internals look aerospace clean.

Auto-Union, as far as I remember original poster used German and Belgium Castrol only. I doubt you’ll see something similar by using USA version of so called 100% synthetic..lol

" I'd just like to say... GET A LIFE, will you people?"

William Shatner, SNL, 1986

tongue.gif

Seriously, everybody's right! Right?
We all know (whether you want to admit it publicly or not) you aren't going to go wrong with Castrol or M1. You can nitpick and debate the tiny points of any Gp-III vs PAO oil, but at the end of the race, they come pretty close to being even. Even if you factor in cost. If you want a dose of humility, go back and read the UOAs from some of the "lesser" oils... you know... the ones that cost about a buck-fifty a quart. Makes this all seem pretty silly.

cheers.gif

wow, looks like castrol gold is doing some sort of alchemy thing auto union (not sarcasm, kiwi humour). seriously, my mothers camper van, 1994 mazda 2 liter petrol looked this good at 160,000 k's on the cheapest oil in town, valvoline 20w50 which i changed every 5000 k's along with filter

"as far as I remember original poster used German and Belgium Castrol only. I doubt you’ll see something similar by using USA version of so called 100% synthetic..lol"

dunno.gif

"Topic: '96 A4, valve cover removed, after ca 110k mile with Syntec 5W-50"

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005119

The Topic is dated Jan 18 2004, which predates Belgian Syntec being sold in the USA.

The Forum works best when posters take a second to look into the subject at hand.
rolleyes.gif

The VW dealers were selling the Belgian Castrol 5W-40 way back in 2001 and possibly sooner. I know I had bought a few oil changes worth back then.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001673

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002302

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001878

Again, people rip M1 for price, but other then GC, what exactly is so "valuable" about the regular syntec line? I have to see it go beyond 10k miles. I picked samples of regular syntec as most are GC. Not impressed.

The issue isn't bc it's a Group III either. Havoline with it's group II+ and Amsoil's XL line both IMO have shown much better results and both are a lot cheaper.
wink.gif

Alright Buster.

Let's look at this from another standpoint.

Seriously, lets compare the oil under conditions its designed for, meaning the OEM recommended drain interval or less.

So don't bring up the >10K OCI business anymore. No MFG spec-ing 5W20, 5W30, or 10W30 has an OCI >10K.

The TBN business is really overrated. Its only one part of the test. So what if it shows a low TBN. RL shows low TBN yet still performs well, but not all oils have that capability. I may be wrong and you may be right. But the TBN doesn't tell the whole story.

Besides, the TBN is just a number. The repeatability rate (IIRC) isn't outstanding for TBN readings. One number may not mean much, trends are what's important.

And also, I'm not a big Castrol fan nor am I a Castrol hater. Their GC is a good oil, but I've never been able to successfully find it in Sacramento. I wouldn't avoid Castrol like the plague either. I personally have no issues using it. In fact, I just dumped Syntec 10W30 SM and a Bosch Premium filter into a Mazda Rotary today.

If the 5qt jugs of M1 were out at Wallyworld, I would have no hesistation to purchase the similarly priced Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Syntec.

I plan on using Castrol Syntec for the life of my 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 liter Hemi.According to Castrol themselves Castrol Syntec is a 100% synthetic oil with a synthetic base oil.I'm sure either Mobil-1 or Castrol Syntec will give you great service.I plan on getting 200,000 out of my Jeep and I want to see if I can with Castrol Syntec.Ferrari F1 uses I believe a Group-III oil for all their races.I plan on running my Castrol Syntec with the max oil change interval on my Jeep which is 6,000 miles.I'm sure Syntec will keep wear and tear low and all engine internals clean.Joe

Too bad Mobil does not change the +100c visc of say their 10w-30 M1 higher to 12cSt (for older engines/hotter climates) and leave the 5w-30 at 10cSt for newer engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back