Castrol Syntec's origins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found out an interesting fact today. The entire line of Castrol Syntec (except GC) is manufactured and bottled in the ARG refinery in Bradford, PA.

I'm not sure if they supply 100% of the Syntec for Castrol or if there are multiple contracts including other refineries.

SAY WHAT?!?!?!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

How do you know this? I thought ARG manufactured it's own GRI/GRII basestocks from PA crude. Are they strictly blending and bottling Castrols basestocks and additives?

Medic. The 5w40 Castrol I use in
my BMW is made in Belgium. It's the
same oil and specs. as the synthetic
Castrol Softec TXT sold in parts of
Europe.

BP, owner of the Castrol brand, is huge worldwide. They are not big in lubes in the U.S. It's no surprise to me that they farm out manufacture of Castrol oil to be made by someone else to their spec.

Ken

Okay, I happened to see an ARG employee in possession of 2 gallons of Castrol Syntec 5w-20. I began to joke with him, accusing him of supporting the competition. That's when he informed me that he was one person who bottled the Syntec (I got the impression that he didn't pay for it
shocked.gif
) He told me that most grades of Castrol Syntec are produced at ARG. I asked him if they produce all of the Syntec made in the US and he didn't know, but he did tell me that they produce a larger amount of Syntec than their house brand, BradPenn.

I've known for a while that ARG has multiple contracts to produce products for brand name oils, but most are kept pretty quiet. The only brand name that they are open about is Gulf.

That should not suprise anyone. We all know that Castrol is just a blender not much different from Redline and Amsoil! They do not have their own refinerys or oil wells as far as I am aware!

Does this info change the way anyone thinks of Brad Penn oil?From "Just another no-name outfit" to,"What the heck,they make Castrol Syntec.Must be OK?"
dunno.gif

Thanks Terry!!! I forgott about the BP buy out
pat.gif
!! rugerman1 if not for this site I would not even know about Brad Penn oil! I do not think they have that big of a market for their own brand! They seem to be happier produceing product for other companys then trying to marlet their own product!

Seeing how most people treat all Castrol products other then GC 0W30 adn BG 5W40 like white trash I doubt it does anything for Brad Penn! I do not have problem with Castrol product it is their marketing that has me upset!

"I do not have problem with Castrol product it is their marketing that has me upset!"

I agree...

And we can actually use your statement as a "fill in the blank" for at least one other Google Gobbling oil seller out there.
smile.gif

"I do not have problem with ________ product it is their marketing that has me upset!"
grin.gif

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back