Castrol Syntec 5w40 in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I just checked out Castrol Canada's website and it now lists 5w40 under the Syntec lineup (it never listed this viscosity before). I know the Belgian made 5w40 Syntec has been spotted in some rare locations (such as imported car parts stores), but in order to list something on a major website like this, you'd think it would be more widespread than that wouldn't you? (such as being sold at Walmart or Canadian Tire)

So has anyone spotted 5w40 Syntec in any major stores in Ontario yet? I sent Castrol an email asking them where this oil is sold so we'll see what they say.

How common is the 5w40 Syntec in the US? And is it only made in Belgium, or is there a US made version too?

That Belgium stuff is a groupIII/Pao formulation .Typically they don't have big additive packs yet do very well.

The 5/40 Syntec is a new one ...never seen it. Hope it's as good as the other oil. Castrol might have them something there .

I've never seen 5w40 Syntec on the shelves here in the US. The only places I know of that stock it are VW/Audi dealers(VW Part#ZVW352540S).

Interesting, the plot thickens.. pun intended.
tongue.gif
That reminds me, need to pick up some GC at Walmart, my engine just loves to use oil..
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
We still do not have GC 0W30 at any of the AUtoZones I looked at here in Michigan!

How far are you from the border? You might want to pop over and check some of the Canadian Walmarts.

Depending on wich border I hit I am about 3 hours from the border! This is one of the reason I do not trust Castrol to keep it around. I am still inclined to think that this is just some plow to get ride of excess manufactureing stock!

I did pick up some 10W30 Syntec Blend. I have to change the oil on the wifes car after I fix it so I picked some up just to show I am open minded. It has done ok in UOA and it was about the same price as Pens High Millage and all of the other HM type oils in 5 quart jugs($10). I am going to compare it to a oil I bought for $.50 a quart. That is right fifty cents a quart.

I too have been impressed with the Syntec Blend UOAs we've seen! I was checking some of them out today from this site and both the 5w30 and 10w30 Syntec Blend did very well in every report posted here! In fact, it shows better results than full synthetic Syntec 10w30 and 5w30 (as seen on here in a few limited UOAs)

It's still puzzling how their blend outperforms their full synthetic, so I'd love to see more UOAs on both just to see if the trend continues or if it was just a fluke.

Patman. I cannot find any 5w40 oils here in
Canada except for Delvac,Rotela etc. I was
thinking of using a half & half mix of
5w30 and 5w50 Castrol which will give a 5w40
or 4 litres of 5w30 with 2 litres of 15w50
Mobil 1. What do you think?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
Patman. I cannot find any 5w40 oils here in
Canada except for Delvac,Rotela etc. I was
thinking of using a half & half mix of
5w30 and 5w50 Castrol which will give a 5w40
or 4 litres of 5w30 with 2 litres of 15w50
Mobil 1. What do you think?
smile.gif

I'd say stick with the Delvac 1.

There is also Havoline 5w40, which I think can be special ordered if you contact Texaco directly. (their head office is in Mississauga, not too far from me)

Or get the 5w40 Syntec from Peninsula motors which is off the QEW in Oakville (beside Budd's BMW)

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Patman, how much is the Havoline 5-40 specially ordered? Did you inquire why it was pulled off the shelves at WalMart? Can you still get the 4L jug?

I sent an email to someone directly at Texaco (got their address off the website which I got from a Google search) and I didn't get any prices from them, they simply gave me someone's phone number who I could contact if I wanted to buy the oil, but I never followed up on it at the time since I didn't want to bother someone when I really wasn't planning on buying the oil I was just curious about it. This was earlier in the year. I never did ask why Walmart stopped selling it.

Buy up the old stock and it will arrive promptly......it has begun to make its way into Iowa now at Autozones that sold off the old yellow stock...
quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
We still do not have GC 0W30 at any of the AUtoZones I looked at here in Michigan!

Patman, how much is the Havoline 5-40 specially ordered? Did you inquire why it was pulled off the shelves at WalMart? Can you still get the 4L jug?

We need more 4L synth. jugs...the single bottles are fine for topping up, but for a complete change, it's brutal. Only M-1 (and some Syntec grades) are available in 4L jugs...this is weak
thumbsdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back