Castrol oil selector and NA diesel oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this over on the car and truck gas oil forum, but rightly it really about the diesel oil selection , so thought I would make a new topic here for it. Any thoughts?

I'm not so sure about those product selectors . Here is an oddity that I have noticed and just re-verified, go to the US site and plug in the selector for a 2001 powerstroke engine, F250, and the selector will spit out that you can use various weights depending which climate you choose (seems like the temps are in C not F) of RX, GTX, GTX HM, GTX SU, Syntec and Syntec Blend. Go cold enough it will even spit out the beloved 0-30 Syntec. Under each one of these , 0-30, 5-30, 10-30, or 15-40 it will clearly state these oils are Sj, CI-4, CH-4. This is the only place I have ever seen raitings above CF for most of these oils, not on the bottles, not on the PDS's. Makes one wonder... Now one is inclined to disbelieve the product selector as a poorly designed piece of software. But it also brings the question long niggling in the back of the tiny mind, since many of these are VW 505 , MB229.5, B3-4 oils , could they maybe also be CI-4 oils if they were tested?
THe other curious thing is that the selector does not even mention many of the HDEo's in the line, not Tection, tection Extra, no Hyperion, Excelsium if that last is a DO., though apparently the Tection Extra is being pushed fairly aggressively right now.

Don't count on web sites to be accurate nor up to date.

You know that your Powerstroke needs a 15W-40 or synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oil rated CH-4, CI-4, or CI-4+. Stick with those. Some newer International Powerstroke engines can use CI-4 10W-30 oil for slight fuel savings and better cold weather operation.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back